Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 02-21-2012, 04:31 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Default Gameguy - Gameboy style platformer

Just found this game by accident...

Love retro style platformers and its great the way this makes your ipod look like a gameboy, video below....

http://www.parkproductions.btinternet.co.uk/gameguy.htm

Only 69p, just had a quick go, its actually made by Gamesalad but looks and plays very well. Great attention to detail to make it look like an old Gameboy classic.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:37 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Hmm... I dunno.

I dont think i like it that only 30% of the screen is wehre the actual gameplay is, but it looks ok on the video.

Will wait for imps before i dive in.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:45 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Just had a quick 5 minutes with it, yeah the screen 'seems' small but it works well. Its obviously only portrait because of the controls and they obviously want to make it look like a gameboy.

But a nice platformer, jump on the baddies, different types of blocks to jump on, only on the first level but its apparently got 21 !

I'm loving it as its bringing back great memories of Mario Land years back, nice attention to detail as well. AND it has a back button !

Last couple of Gamesalad games i've bought have been surprisingly good, before they were quite shabby but the last few have been much improved, must be a new improved gamesalad engine ?

Last edited by psj3809; 02-21-2012 at 04:52 AM..
Old 02-21-2012, 07:57 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Plays well when you get used to the fact that left and right are so close together. Really a fun little platform to play with extended levels. Waiting for all the Nintendo fanboys to rip it asunder like they did Awesome Land.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:03 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
Will wait for imps before i dive in.
Thumbs up! Long levels of extended fun. Mario flashbacks and the controls get the job done. The hitbox is quite forgiving. Several times I thought I should have been killed cause I came in contact with a baddie in mid jump or just began to jump and it gave me the credit. No saves, start over every time. The screen is small but not too small to see. Not sure how long it will stay in the app store before it gets pulled so I would say grab it. It's worth a buck.

Last edited by CygnetSeven; 02-21-2012 at 08:22 AM..
Old 02-21-2012, 08:16 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Hmm... Gonna try it out. Will be back with impressions.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:58 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

This is pro! The only thing it is missing is background music, so I just put the Birabuto Kingdom theme music from Super Mario Land on repeat and now it feels like the good ol' days.

You get used to the screen size after 10 seconds of playing. Besides, it's a sweet enough trade-off to make your iPhone look like a GameBoy. PLUS, I would take smaller screen size over buttons that cover up the screen ANY DAY. Do you know how many times I've died because my thumb was in the way?

Ps. Anybody check to make sure there isn't an actual GameBoy emulator hidden inside?

UPDATE: From what I could see using PhoneView, it is not an emulator. Haha. Maybe next time...

Last edited by frasermorgan; 02-21-2012 at 09:21 AM.. Reason: Answered my own question!!
Old 02-21-2012, 09:26 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Not a bad little platformer, I'm just having a little trouble with the jumping, seems to me at times the little guy doesn't jump high enough to reah certain platforms, such as this platform:

Can't reach it to save my life... Am I doing something wrong?
Old 02-21-2012, 02:00 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by frasermorgan View Post
This is pro! The only thing it is missing is background music
Exactly! A level selector would be nice but that won't happen. And yes, you can go left!
Old 02-21-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnetSeven View Post
Not sure how long it will stay in the app store before it gets pulled so I would say grab it. It's worth a buck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by asolja View Post
This is pretty cool,if you are thinking about getting it I would get it fast as it may get pulled when the guys at apple wake up.
why do people say this - it's not actually "stealing" anything. There's plenty of apps on the store, which might look like other things, but this is very clearly marked. I'd not expect it to be removed, unless Nintendo sent some C&D to the dev and gave them a chance to alter any questionable content. In this case they might insist the "case" should look much less like an actual GameBoy, but I don't see this happening.

Last edited by headcaseGames; 02-21-2012 at 07:50 PM..