★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Music While Programming

04-19-2012, 06:35 AM
Music While Programming

Just curious,
what do you folks listen to when programming? I can't have anything with lyrics, I end up super distracted. I mostly listen to stuff like Mogwai, God Is An Astronaut, Baltic Fleet - instrumental rock-based stuff that doesn't interrupt my train of thought too much. Anyone else?

BeatScribe
Original Songs For Less Than $100 Per Song [samples]
04-19-2012, 07:05 AM
Lyrics eat your brain resources. I heard during a course on application ergonomy, that it can take you almost 60% of your brain activity.
A perfect example is when you drive a car. You make more mistakes when you take a phone call.
And the first think you do, when you are lost, is to switch off the radio...

In my case, I just put a web radio loundge style or jazz. Something smooth.
Sometimes I put some more energized music like Prodigy.
And sometimes a little classical music.

04-19-2012, 07:07 AM
Strangely, I even find classical music too absorbing! I find myself thinking about the composition and things like that.

BeatScribe
Original Songs For Less Than $100 Per Song [samples]
04-19-2012, 08:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatScribe View Post
Strangely, I even find classical music too absorbing! I find myself thinking about the composition and things like that.
This. Though I don't program - just design the game I can't have classical playing. I end up listening to game soundtracks (a number of songs from Braid are great) or swing/jazzy music lately.

Looking for a writer? PM me

Game Designer of:
Family Feud 2 My First Huge Apple Feature!
Pickpawcket
And a bunch of other games you've never heard of!
04-19-2012, 08:55 AM
try Beethoven The piano sonatas by W Kempff, it always keeps me on the edge without abdorbing me!

cheers

CEO - Project Manager - Game/Sound Designer Tsimpountiii Games / Tsimpountiii Blog / NXSoundscapes
04-19-2012, 09:05 AM
Basically anything without too dominant lyrics. Something at at least a medium pace. I listen to all sorts of stuff when working. Depressive black metal (lyrics, but you can't understand them), classical, jazz, etc.
04-22-2012, 04:40 PM
I completely agree with the Beethoven, especially Moonlight Sonata. I find myself listening to that on repeat when I'm developing. Doesn't hog my brains resources, but is nice to listen to when programming.