Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-12-2012, 08:29 AM
Sanuku Sanuku is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 10,801
Default Strikefleet Omega - (by 6waves Lolapps)[Universal]


Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up



Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-12-2012, 08:36 AM
devensega devensega is offline
Senior Member
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 621
Default

Looks stunning and a good pedigree too, downloading now.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-12-2012, 09:38 AM
devensega devensega is offline
Senior Member
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 621
Default

It's quite good. It does bear similarity with flight control as you shepard your fighters toward enemy incoming. You can buy more capital ships with"alloy", this is earned during combat, after mission rewards and it's farmable too. I'm only five missions in so cannot tell how farming works yet and if it garners enough alloy to avoid IAP.

And the IAP could be the deal breaker for some. Alloy can be bought in packs. It gives a permanent upgrade to your ships and gives them new abilities. I do not know if you can get enough alloy to avoid paying for it in future, each upgrade raises the price of the next exponentially. There are also "mega credits", these can be used to buy perks (xp boost, better fighters) but they are also consumable. You will not be able to carry them through to the next mission. You do however get a free perk per mission, I do not think them completely necessary. Mega credits can also be used to set off a mega weapon that kills everything on screen (think The Last Starfighter), I just hope this does not become essential for progress later on.

My other concern is its lastability, it's a looker but the gameplay is simple. However, I only have two types of ship at the moment and have seen no enemy battleships. If these spice up the gameplay enough things good be very good indeed.

Last edited by devensega; 05-12-2012 at 09:42 AM.. Reason: Autocorrect :/
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-12-2012, 09:55 AM
djiwai djiwai is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 102
Default

Finally ! a touch-RTS that smells like Homeworld. A LOT. and the gameplay la flight control is a perfect choice, it really gives the feeling of controlling a fleet. congrats to the devs !
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-12-2012, 09:56 AM
Royce Royce is offline
Senior Member
iPad mini
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,413
Default

Alloy? Mega credits? Invest my time before even knowing how much money it will cost me eventually? No thanks. A shame too since it looks decent.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-12-2012, 10:45 AM
squarezero squarezero is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Salem, Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 10,777
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce View Post
Alloy? Mega credits? Invest my time before even knowing how much money it will cost me eventually? No thanks. A shame too since it looks decent.
I have to agree. The game is really good: it take simple gameplay mechanic and keeps it interesting by building upon it. The story (a mash-up of Spaceship Yamato and Battlestar Galactica) is fantastic, but the IAP implementation is both pervasive and relentless. The Megacredit model soon becomes all but inescapable, since there is no clear way to earn them in-game and they are required to purchase many of the ships in the roster (not to mention using perks and mega blasts).

For me, the experience is best exemplified by a situation in one of the early missions: you find yourself in a hopeless spot, completely outgunned, when suddenly a new character pops in and yells at you to use your mega-weapon. Before you realize what you are doing, you've used up 4 (I think) of your precious free mega credits. Personally I find that pretty much a reprehensible use of the IAP model.

It's too bad, since the core game is excellent.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-12-2012, 10:59 AM
syntheticvoid syntheticvoid is offline
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern Indiana
Posts: 12,823
Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
I have to agree. The game is really good: it take simple gameplay mechanic and keeps it interesting by building upon it. The story (a mash-up of Spaceship Yamato and Battlestar Galactica) is fantastic, but the IAP implementation is both pervasive and relentless. The Megacredit model soon becomes all but inescapable, since there is no clear way to earn them in-game and they are required to purchase many of the ships in the roster (not to mention using perks and mega blasts).

For me, the experience is best exemplified by a situation in one of the early missions: you find yourself in a hopeless spot, completely outgunned, when suddenly a new character pops in and yells at you to use your mega-weapon. Before you realize what you are doing, you've used up 4 (I think) of your precious free mega credits. Personally I find that pretty much a reprehensible use of the IAP model.

It's too bad, since the core game is excellent.
thanks for all that... was REALLY hoping this one would be decent...

but I guess I won't even get into it if it's that bad. I don't want to get sucked in and then disappointed.

Damn...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-12-2012, 10:50 AM
Ayjona Ayjona is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,535
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6waves Lolapps
Earth has been destroyed by the Hive Queen and her Brood
Dangnabbit, that Hive Queen and her Brood sure are persistant buggers, not even content to terrorize Earth in just one single gaming universe...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-12-2012, 10:53 AM
Exact-Psience Exact-Psience is online now
Senior Member
iPad Air, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Philippines
Posts: 15,121
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayjona View Post
Dangnabbit, that Hive Queen and her Brood sure are persistant buggers, not even content to terrorize Earth in just one single gaming universe...
LOL... Ive been wondering about that too. Even on previous games on a different format.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent