Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 05-12-2012, 08:29 AM

Default Strikefleet Omega - (by 6waves Lolapps)[Universal]

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Old 05-12-2012, 08:36 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Looks stunning and a good pedigree too, downloading now.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:38 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

It's quite good. It does bear similarity with flight control as you shepard your fighters toward enemy incoming. You can buy more capital ships with"alloy", this is earned during combat, after mission rewards and it's farmable too. I'm only five missions in so cannot tell how farming works yet and if it garners enough alloy to avoid IAP.

And the IAP could be the deal breaker for some. Alloy can be bought in packs. It gives a permanent upgrade to your ships and gives them new abilities. I do not know if you can get enough alloy to avoid paying for it in future, each upgrade raises the price of the next exponentially. There are also "mega credits", these can be used to buy perks (xp boost, better fighters) but they are also consumable. You will not be able to carry them through to the next mission. You do however get a free perk per mission, I do not think them completely necessary. Mega credits can also be used to set off a mega weapon that kills everything on screen (think The Last Starfighter), I just hope this does not become essential for progress later on.

My other concern is its lastability, it's a looker but the gameplay is simple. However, I only have two types of ship at the moment and have seen no enemy battleships. If these spice up the gameplay enough things good be very good indeed.

Last edited by devensega; 05-12-2012 at 09:42 AM.. Reason: Autocorrect :/
Old 05-12-2012, 09:55 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Finally ! a touch-RTS that smells like Homeworld. A LOT. and the gameplay la flight control is a perfect choice, it really gives the feeling of controlling a fleet. congrats to the devs !
Old 05-12-2012, 09:56 AM
iPad mini

Alloy? Mega credits? Invest my time before even knowing how much money it will cost me eventually? No thanks. A shame too since it looks decent.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce View Post
Alloy? Mega credits? Invest my time before even knowing how much money it will cost me eventually? No thanks. A shame too since it looks decent.
I have to agree. The game is really good: it take simple gameplay mechanic and keeps it interesting by building upon it. The story (a mash-up of Spaceship Yamato and Battlestar Galactica) is fantastic, but the IAP implementation is both pervasive and relentless. The Megacredit model soon becomes all but inescapable, since there is no clear way to earn them in-game and they are required to purchase many of the ships in the roster (not to mention using perks and mega blasts).

For me, the experience is best exemplified by a situation in one of the early missions: you find yourself in a hopeless spot, completely outgunned, when suddenly a new character pops in and yells at you to use your mega-weapon. Before you realize what you are doing, you've used up 4 (I think) of your precious free mega credits. Personally I find that pretty much a reprehensible use of the IAP model.

It's too bad, since the core game is excellent.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:59 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
I have to agree. The game is really good: it take simple gameplay mechanic and keeps it interesting by building upon it. The story (a mash-up of Spaceship Yamato and Battlestar Galactica) is fantastic, but the IAP implementation is both pervasive and relentless. The Megacredit model soon becomes all but inescapable, since there is no clear way to earn them in-game and they are required to purchase many of the ships in the roster (not to mention using perks and mega blasts).

For me, the experience is best exemplified by a situation in one of the early missions: you find yourself in a hopeless spot, completely outgunned, when suddenly a new character pops in and yells at you to use your mega-weapon. Before you realize what you are doing, you've used up 4 (I think) of your precious free mega credits. Personally I find that pretty much a reprehensible use of the IAP model.

It's too bad, since the core game is excellent.
thanks for all that... was REALLY hoping this one would be decent...

but I guess I won't even get into it if it's that bad. I don't want to get sucked in and then disappointed.

Damn...
Old 05-12-2012, 10:50 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6waves Lolapps
Earth has been destroyed by the Hive Queen and her Brood
Dangnabbit, that Hive Queen and her Brood sure are persistant buggers, not even content to terrorize Earth in just one single gaming universe...
Old 05-12-2012, 10:53 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayjona View Post
Dangnabbit, that Hive Queen and her Brood sure are persistant buggers, not even content to terrorize Earth in just one single gaming universe...
LOL... Ive been wondering about that too. Even on previous games on a different format.