Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-12-2012, 10:20 AM
BravadoWaffle's Avatar
BravadoWaffle BravadoWaffle is offline
Senior Member
iPad (3rd Gen)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 393
Default Mode7 on what it takes to be an indie game dev

Awesome article on what it takes to be an indie game developer. My favorite part is this:
There is something about game design which makes people believe that they can do it, even if they have never done it before. Iím not precisely sure what quality it has which makes it appear so easy: it is incredibly difficult.
http://www.mode7games.com/blog/2012/...ame-developer/
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-12-2012, 10:42 AM
PixelEnvision's Avatar
PixelEnvision PixelEnvision is offline
Developer
iPad Air, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 138
Default

Nice one, thanks for sharing...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-12-2012, 06:41 PM
makaGeorge makaGeorge is offline
Member
iPad 2, iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 54
Default

Good article! That's an interesting quote... I agree: designing a game is not easy but I don't think the fact you've done it before or not matters that much, especially given the fact that many games from big companies play pretty bad too...

I think understanding what makes a game fun on a deeper level is what's important...but it's not easy. I think having played many different games does help, though... especially if you stop and think about what makes each game fun/not fun... but ultimately it's such a subjective issue, it's hard to know in advance if a given idea will be successful...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-13-2012, 12:24 AM
yellowmonkeystudios yellowmonkeystudios is offline
Member
iPod Touch (3rd Gen)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 85
Default

Good article, and thank you for sharing Mr. Waffle !

Obligatory "Frozen Synapse is fantastic."

Edit: And I completely agree with makaGeorge~
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-13-2012, 08:11 AM
Moonjump's Avatar
Moonjump Moonjump is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lincoln, UK
Posts: 338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaGeorge View Post
Good article! That's an interesting quote... I agree: designing a game is not easy but I don't think the fact you've done it before or not matters that much, especially given the fact that many games from big companies play pretty bad too...

I think understanding what makes a game fun on a deeper level is what's important...but it's not easy. I think having played many different games does help, though... especially if you stop and think about what makes each game fun/not fun... but ultimately it's such a subjective issue, it's hard to know in advance if a given idea will be successful...
As someone who has been a game designer in big companies, I know there are a lot of managers who think design is easy, and that their ideas will benefit the game. They often get their way because they are higher ranked.

Letting the design team do the work is at least as important as having a good design team. Not all companies realise this, to the detriment of their games.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-13-2012, 12:47 PM
makaGeorge makaGeorge is offline
Member
iPad 2, iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 54
Default

wow... thanks for the insight... it must be so frustrating when that happens...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-13-2012, 02:34 PM
Ndemic Creations's Avatar
Ndemic Creations Ndemic Creations is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravadoWaffle View Post
There is something about game design which makes people believe that they can do it, even if they have never done it before. Iím not precisely sure what quality it has which makes it appear so easy: it is incredibly difficult.
http://www.mode7games.com/blog/2012/...ame-developer/
That is a really good article.

However, I disagree completely with that quote, it is unduly negative and will put people off.

I never made a game before or was involved in any game making team and yet my app went to #1 paid iphone/ipad app in the US in 5 days and has stayed there ever since...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-13-2012, 02:52 PM
Blackharon's Avatar
Blackharon Blackharon is offline
Developer
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 821
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndemic Creations View Post
That is a really good article.

However, I disagree completely with that quote, it is unduly negative and will put people off.

I never made a game before or was involved in any game making team and yet my app went to #1 paid iphone/ipad app in the US in 5 days and has stayed there ever since...
Just like anything, it IS difficult to most but comes naturally to others. Congrats on being the exception to the rule!

For me, I'm still learning after 2 and a half years in the industry. Though I'm getting better, there are days where I feel like I'm taking a step backwards in order to take 2 more forward.

The article is a fantastic read, and agree with a good chunk of it!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-13-2012, 04:09 PM
BravadoWaffle's Avatar
BravadoWaffle BravadoWaffle is offline
Senior Member
iPad (3rd Gen)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 393
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndemic Creations View Post
That is a really good article.

However, I disagree completely with that quote, it is unduly negative and will put people off.

I never made a game before or was involved in any game making team and yet my app went to #1 paid iphone/ipad app in the US in 5 days and has stayed there ever since...
I agree with Blackharon (who is very successful in his own right), congrats on being the exception! It is seriously impressive what you've achieved! Especially for your first game! Now I'm even more jealous...

Speaking from personal experience I would say that I learned far more about the designing, making, and marketing games than I could ever have imagined by seeing RoboHero through. I am taking all those lessons and experience and transferring them into projects right now that have vastly more potential.

Ultimately the best way to learn about what it takes to make games is to make games. And some people have a knack for it.

However, now that you are in the scene, you will probably have people pitching ideas to you left and right about their "genius" game ideas that you should "totally" make, most of which aren't worth the air it took to speak them.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-14-2012, 08:40 AM
Blackharon's Avatar
Blackharon Blackharon is offline
Developer
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 821
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravadoWaffle View Post
However, now that you are in the scene, you will probably have people pitching ideas to you left and right about their "genius" game ideas that you should "totally" make, most of which aren't worth the air it took to speak them.
The number of ideas sent to us just after we release is astounding. Some are ok, some are bad, all are completely raw and not really thought through.

Game design is harder than it looks.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent