Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 07-16-2012, 02:40 PM

Default RAD Soldiers - (by WARCHEST)[Universal]

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Last edited by Echoseven; 12-21-2012 at 05:35 PM..
Old 07-16-2012, 02:41 PM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

Oh, you've got to be ******* kidding me! Canada only?!
Old 07-16-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyDad View Post
Just for the Open Beta Test. After that it will probably get released Worldwide.

Millions of Gameplay Trailer following soon...
Old 07-16-2012, 02:54 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Been waiting for this. Between Summoner Wars and Rad Soldiers, I'll be busy.

...When it hits worldwide release. Ugh.

Last edited by Exact-Psience; 07-16-2012 at 02:57 PM..
Old 07-16-2012, 02:57 PM
iPad mini, iOS 7.x

Woot! How long is the open beta? I am in the UK, I wanna play this game!
Old 07-16-2012, 03:09 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

I'll be glad to post some impressions for you guys. Downloading now!
Old 07-16-2012, 03:47 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Awesomes!!!!!!! Getting now
Old 07-16-2012, 03:52 PM

Default Game Impressions

Old 07-16-2012, 05:20 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Default Game Impressions

As one of the self-proclaimed RAD Soldiers hypers at TA, let me try to dispel som doubts and quell some fears :

Creating a Canadian account without a credit card is very easy. Log out of the App Store (Settings -> Store -> Apple ID), try to download any free app, and create a new account when prompted. What you need is a proper street adress & postal code for any Canadian street, which is easy enough to find, even without dubious digital skills. Since your player data is saved online on Splashwardamagefirechestteam's servers, the data will carry over come the worldwide release, once you download the game for you particular region.

RAD Soldiers has plenty of IAP. But it also allows all players to unlock and acquire ANYTHING in the game that has an effect on gameplay without ever spending a real-world dollar, through in-game earned currency alone. Only vanity items, items with a purely aestethic effect, will be real-world purchases only. This has been confirmed time and time again by the devs, in several interviews, and holds true in reality as well. (See this post of mine in the upcoming thread for plenty of quotes from the devs on the subject.)

The game is made by the guys behind Brink, supposedly has a huge budget for an iOS title (again, see the link above), and so plenty of polish and spit is not an entirely inviable notion.

There is an extensive post-release update plan, which, provided the devs remain true to their words (and we all knows devs always do this, right? ), will see RAD Soldiers upgraded with new content on a possibly frequent basis. Stands to reason, as the devs hope to earn money from selling in-game content and visual customization (one of the few advantages of freemium schemes).

I'll be back with more coherent gameplay impressions, but after a few minutes with the game, everything feels great, looks great (one of the prettiest games of its kind for iOS), sounds great, plays great, has tons of character, and touches me in all the right places.

There are:
  • Individual energy counters for units, meaning that each unit can divide his efforts between moving, attacks, and special abilities, a system I almost always prefer to move and shoot, shoot or move, a limited numbers of actions, and similar unit action schemes in turn-based war games.
  • Tons of different units type with different abilities (from camouflage and sniping to medkits and healing auras to support fire to concussion grenades to gas grenades to turrets to rocket launchers to scout drones that explode to melee attacks to headshots to landmine disarms and repairs to even more).
  • Units do not belong to set classes, but are a combination of individual special abilities individual hp and energy values, and what weapons they can equip. This means that while one sniper-focused unit might have the abilities to turn invisible and to deliver automatic headshots, another sniper might have invisibility plus an exploding scout drone. This means that there might be a fair bit of unit customization, as the player could potentially give a medic complementary long-range weapons, equip a sniping stealth unit with melee or close-combat weapons and have them use their camoflage to sneak up and blast away from close range, etc.
  • Units seem to be able to level up/become veterans, though I've no idea what happens when they do.
  • At least some additional combat mechanics and options beyond attacks and abilities, such as cover to take and cower behind, return fire on enemies' turns, situational bonuses, etc.
  • Many different weapons to purchase and outfit units with (in addition to all the special abilities of units) with stats ranging from range and optimum range to knockback, damage and the energy required to fire.
  • Special commander (player) abilities that are unlocked as you level up.
  • Visual customization of units as well as the option to rename all units.
  • Single player challenges.
  • Lots and lots of stuff to unlock and purchase for the money earned in game.

In short, the game has depth. And while I ill like to resort to overenthusiastic praise and thus undermining my credibility , it already has the kinds of depth you'd expect from an iOS title that has already seen several upgrades and post-release polish.

Last edited by Ayjona; 07-16-2012 at 07:58 PM..
Old 07-16-2012, 10:16 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyDad View Post
I feel your pain brother.