Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 09-23-2012, 07:21 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x

Default Puzzle saga (Flipscript Co. Ltd.)

Just saw this in the appshopper app. Anyone have info about this? It looks pretty tempting as a Match 3 RPG hybrid.

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Last edited by Echoseven; 09-25-2012 at 03:43 AM.. Reason: Come on Tastyfish -- you are senior member and should know how to start a game thread!
Old 09-23-2012, 07:41 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Seems interesting....Clash of Heroes clone?
Old 09-23-2012, 07:42 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Top In-App Purchases

Basic Coin Pack $2.99
PUZZLE_PRG_pack_01 $1.99

That bolded thing scares me. I'm not surprised there was IAP for coins after seeing screenshot 5. I would've picked it up had I not saw the IAP listing. If it's not so bad, I'd reconsider.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:47 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Default Game Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by indalico View Post
Top In-App Purchases

Basic Coin Pack $2.99
PUZZLE_PRG_pack_01 $1.99

That bolded thing scares me. I'm not surprised there was IAP for coins after seeing screenshot 5. I would've picked it up had I not saw the IAP listing. If it's not so bad, I'd reconsider.
That PUZZLE_PRG_pack_01 is the classic "Coin Doubler". I found the money fell pretty easily, especially when you S the missions but, without the coin doubler in place, I found it hard to make progress in the 3rd world until I went back and did some grinding of earlier levels (the best way to do this is simply replay the last stage of the third world with the big boss, as beating him nets you 400 gold a shot.

While this clearly shares some with Clash of Heroes, the gameplay is actually more like Bejewelled with a seemingly endless supply of soldiers coming up from below to instantly fill in any gaps made when you make a 3+ row or column of same troops. I can't claim to be super knowledgeable of Clash of Heroes (only played the first few levels) but I like how all of the troops and heroes have unique abilities/stats. Do you hit the enemy right in front of your troop hard with a warrior or use a spearman who, while not doing as much damage, can actually hurt all enemy troops in that column as he charges through. I'm finding my favorite troops by far are the archers and wizards who, while not doing as much damage as the warrior types, they'll fire at the nearest enemy troop even if NOT in the same column. This means just clearing a group of archers or wizards anywhere in your grid will damage the enemy unlike the warrior types that do you little good if you clear them in an area without enemies on the other side.

Your army is a combination of your hero (the class you pick dictates your HP and skills) and your 4 troop types. Both the heroes and troops can be upgraded multiple times to improve their abilities.

While I'm not a big fan of games with IAP currency packs, you really can, with minimal grinding, do it all without ever needing to pump in any personal cash. Also, once a troop or hero is upgraded, even if you swap them out of your current setup, they'll remain leveled up...not something you need to repurchase with every use).

4/5
Old 09-23-2012, 11:09 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by indalico View Post
Top In-App Purchases

Basic Coin Pack $2.99
PUZZLE_PRG_pack_01 $1.99

This one was supposed to be called "Double Income". We are in the process of fixing that. We will be making regular updates to the game. We will be having a small update that has more granular control over the sound, so players can turn the music off if they'd like.

Based on how many units we move, we are also considering iPhone 5 graphics.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:15 PM

Bprichard,

Can you confirm that the game is entirely WINNABLE (all stars/all unlocked achievements) WITHOUT using IAP so that IAP can assist but NOT deter game progress? How much grinding additionally is there if the player chooses to play without IAP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bprichard View Post
This one was supposed to be called "Double Income". We are in the process of fixing that. We will be making regular updates to the game. We will be having a small update that has more granular control over the sound, so players can turn the music off if they'd like.

Based on how many units we move, we are also considering iPhone 5 graphics.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:23 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kmp3 View Post
Bprichard,

Can you confirm that the game is entirely WINNABLE (all stars/all unlocked achievements) WITHOUT using IAP so that IAP can assist but NOT deter game progress? How much grinding additionally is there if the player chooses to play without IAP?
Hey, thanks for the question! I can confirm that the game is entirely winnable without IAP. Our project manager beat the game in about 5 or 6 hours with coins only earned from playing. He repeated the later levels a fair bit.

I'm starting a clean playthrough (I used coins my first time), and I'll keep you updated on how I fare!
Old 09-23-2012, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitta View Post
Seems interesting....Clash of Heroes clone?
That's what I was thinking. Clash of Heroes was announced for iOS ages ago -- wonder what happened?
Old 09-23-2012, 07:49 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
That's what I was thinking. Clash of Heroes was announced for iOS ages ago -- wonder what happened?
I hope it doesn't share the same fate of Ghost Recon, DEMOED 1 year ago in what seemed a perfectly completed port and then...nothing.

Clash of Heroes is one of my most wanted games on iPad.
I bothered Ubisoft, the dev in charge of the port (not Capybara) in every possible way...they didn't even bothered to answer ((
Ubisoft published in the AppStore many games out of nowhere, BUT these two, the only one announced.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitta View Post
I hope it doesn't share the same fate of Ghost Recon, DEMOED 1 year ago in what seemed a perfectly completed port and then...nothing.

Clash of Heroes is one of my most wanted games on iPad.
I bothered Ubisoft, the dev in charge of the port (not Capybara) in every possible way...they didn't even bothered to answer ((
Ubisoft published in the AppStore many games out of nowhere, BUT these two, the only one announced.
I never understand Ubisoft's iOS/mobile strategy. They have these properties that have underperformed in othe platforms but would likely do very well on iOS, but they refuse to release them. But then they spend resources on me-too games (often buggy) that go nowhere. Hopefully the success of Rayman: Jungle Run (which, even though it was specifically designed for touchscreens is still true to the original) will encourage them to push though some of their other sure-fire properties.

Back on topic: this game is definitely a Clash of Heroes clone. The mechanics are decent and visually it's okay, but it doesn't have any story whatsoever, not even to set up a context for the combat, and the troop upgrade prices are clearly set up to encourage spending real money on IAP (after three stages I've accumulated 41 GP -- the first upgrade costs 700 GP). Some folks may enjoy this kind of pointless grinding, but not me.