Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Old 11-13-2012, 02:41 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Default Best Uses for a $150 marketing budget

How would you use $150 for an entertainment app with broad appeal?
Old 11-13-2012, 03:55 PM
Developer
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

buy coffee
Old 11-13-2012, 04:24 PM

seriously... $150 will do nothing to get you any marketing of real worth. Probably even the case for adding an extra zero to that. Spend it on booze instead to forget the misery that is game development (am I being to heavy-handed here?)

In all honesty, the only real use I could suggest is to buy a ton of extra gift codes with it (beyond the 50 promos you are given) and spam them out to several media sources, but even that is very likely not going to guarantee any ROI at this point.

"Real" useful marketing will cost you hundreds, if not thousands of dollars per day on the level you'd need to do it to generally have useful impact.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinQsta View Post
Yes, too heavy handed and cynical - $150 is better than nothing and you can do the above. It's not as bad to survive out there as you think.
It is pretty bad. I've been there. I've talked to countless other devs who've been through the same routine likewise. Marketing is really the biggest hurdle in indie development at this point (if visibility/making money is your goal) and simply blindly throwing money in the general direction of marketing requires a huge amount of it (unless you have some wonderful connections). My advice is to seek out other methods that don't require a lot of money, as far as being more creative and hope that helps your project stand out (concoct some interesting/crazy story, a youtube video that could go viral, etc) Of course none of these are guaranteed to work either, but such approaches can be done fairly cheaply and won't necessarily waste a lot of time/money compared to the alternative. Hey, it worked for Fruit Ninja...
Old 11-13-2012, 05:56 PM

150$ hmm... lets say your app costs a dollar.. make a raffle... once you hit a million paid customers one of the lucky ones gets the 150$ ??? sounds good?

not? comeone.. hmm.. how about 3 winners 50$ each? or maybe send the money into headcase's ios&mac hardware fund.. he'll probably promote your app on his blog.. maybee..

hmm.. damn.. how about you print couple thousand flyers with it and litter the streets of your local town with it?

go to one of thoose crowdsourcing website where people do crazy stuff for you for a few dollars

or add 50$ buy an nexus7 and start porting over to android to reach a bigger market?

honestly.. 150$ is not a budget and most likely there will be no ROI

prolly keep the money for the developer program renewal ?

tricky tricky..
Old 11-13-2012, 06:49 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen)

$150 = 75 lottery tickets

or on a more realistic note:

Why not buy $150 worth of gift cards for itunes and then offer them up as prizes for higher score on GC etc
Old 11-13-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.Ugly View Post
not? comeone.. hmm.. how about 3 winners 50$ each? or maybe send the money into headcase's ios&mac hardware fund.. he'll probably promote your app on his blog.. maybee..
aww, someone still reads my blog! blush
Old 11-13-2012, 08:52 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

I would recommend using 11 of it to submit your app to The FWA Mobile of the Day Awards here. Originally a website awards website it now has a mobile awards section. We submitted our game and we won. They will showcase your game for 24 hours and get it in front of a bunch more people. And plus, winning the award will help boost your prestige when you go to apply for grants to develop games, etc. in the future.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:24 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to tulio.soria

Hi poisenden,

What about try to use PRMac.com (http://www.prmac.com)?
With $22.50 you can buy some PR service. It is not a very good service, but it very cheap.
You could also buy some banners here http://www.buysellads.com
Cheers!
Old 11-20-2012, 07:26 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Send a message via Skype™ to ns804apps

@epx I agree and disagree on Facebook if you utilize the tools properly Facebook allows you to not only narrow the people seeing your page add by device, but by gamer and game category or style. you can tailor who sees your add for a much smaller market to drive better results. at the same time you are getting impressions that hopefully share with their social friends. My two cents anyway. It goes to building your social foot print and audience which allows for future growth.