Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 11-29-2012, 06:37 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Default had an update alert...now Everplay is putting ads in their games.

First, they went Freemium. Does it stop? Oh no. I hope no one even thinks about buying their upcoming game which got a mention on the TA front page.

EVERY game they have released so far, possible exception being some cow-tossing game, has gone freemium; with Spellsword, items cost both coins and gems now, and the prices were raised; pinch peeps went freemium as well (then apparently went back to being a paid app), now adverts are in the update.

Everplay had a chance to be a respected ios developer. No more. Don't buy their games if you value digital rights, honest salesmanship, or the future of ios gaming.

Tell your friends not to buy or download their apps. Post on Facebook. Warn people on Twitter. It's the only way to get though to these knuckleheads that it will cost more money to completely rebrand themselves; that reputation is earned, and shouldn't be squandered; that revenue gained by forsaking a loyal customer base hurts more than it helps in the long run.

Everplay, I warned you before. Your name is MUD.

Last edited by Greyskull; 11-29-2012 at 07:44 PM..
Old 11-29-2012, 07:24 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Too bad. While I don't own any of their games, I was very interested in downloading Ace of Blades once released. However, I surely won't if I read that they have ads in it.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:29 PM
iPad 2

I always back up my apps directory before updating anything. Theres way too many of these bait and switch tactics going on nowadays.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:43 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

I back things up, but I almost never update, unless I personally have an issue with the app. This happens all the time, and is frequently done with a shady "minor update" or "minor bug fixes" or some other indication that the update is no big deal, and then you update and see ads plastered all over the app. If it ain't broke, don't update.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:35 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluto6 View Post
I back things up, but I almost never update, unless I personally have an issue with the app. This happens all the time, and is frequently done with a shady "minor update" or "minor bug fixes" or some other indication that the update is no big deal, and then you update and see ads plastered all over the app. If it ain't broke, don't update.
I used to do the same, but, when your app colection is massive, it's easy to miss critical updates for apps that later disappear from the store (which shouldn't even be an issue). Updates that allow games to run on newer ios versions, for example.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:46 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99c_gamer View Post
I always back up my apps directory before updating anything. Theres way too many of these bait and switch tactics going on nowadays.
I know...but I've already had to add a Terrabyte drive; once you have a large collection it becomes impossible to keep track of everything. And I shouldn't NEED 500+ gigabytes to store my content +backups.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:21 PM
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Yep, they began to lose my support with beginning with the way Terra Noctis was handled (even though I'm still confused with how all that went down). But then Spellsword going freemium started to hammer the nail in the coffin.

Now ads. Well, another dev to add to the "do not buy" list. Ashame. They really are talented devs.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:14 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Yup, damn shame...

I used to back up all my app files too, but like Greyskull said, all the space it eventually took up was ridiculous...