Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Other > Lounge

Old 11-30-2012, 06:05 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 8.x

Default Any of you guys readers?

In addition to gaming and other things, I really enjoy reading. This summer I reread through the Harry Potter books, being very bored, then went through Animal Farm and 1984 in addition to the Hunger Games and Fail-Safe. Tried plowing through The Idea of a University but I just couldn't

Then from this Fall onwards I've been doing a lot more serious reading, went through all of Dan Brown's novels (I really like his writing style and originality of plots; take Da Vinci Code for what it's worth to you) and currently reading through the Universe Next Door, John Locke - finished Two Treatises of Government and am now on The Reasonableness of Christianity - and Conan Doyle, The Man with the Twisted Lip (planning on reading though the rest of the Sherlock Holmes ASAP, no clue why I haven't before). Recently went through all of Joel Rosenburg's novels too, they're fairly good but the plots are moderately generic and there is little character development or really any interesting characters during the span of maybe a dozen 300-500 page books. Still occupied me on CD while doing dishes though

Other books I've really enjoyed in the past year or so have been Plato's Republic, the Greek classics such as the Iliad and Ainied (forget how to spell that one), Island on Bird Street, Hunger Games (fantastically well-written), Lord of the Rings, Run Baby Run, Mark Twain's books (especially Tom Sawyer), How Green was my Valley, Anne of Green Gables, Silas Marner, The Screwtape Letters (FUNNY!) and a bunch of others that I can't think of right now. I've been told the Game of Thrones books are really fantastic and I like the genre, might pick those up sometime, too. Also I need to finish Lord of the Flies. A few Dickens novels are also on my "to check out from library" list, too. I'll also read almost anything related to the Holocaust, biographies preferably.

So, any of you like to read? If so, what genres or authors?

Last edited by JBRUU; 11-30-2012 at 06:17 AM..
Old 11-30-2012, 08:47 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Yeah, I occasionally read now and then. I used to read a LOT more back in the day, but now just whenever a book catches my attention.

I definitely dig the Hobbit and the LOTR books, I've read each of those about three times in my lifetime, lol.

I like some Agatha Christie mysteries, too, particularly the Poirit mysteries and And Then There Were None.

Also enjoy the Sherlock Holmes mysteries.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:47 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

I used to read a lot, but the internet killed it for me. I've lost the patience. That said, I enjoy autobiographies provided the person in question isn't as boring as hell, and I've gone through a few Poe/Lovecraft stories quite recently.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:58 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

I've read How Green Was My Valley, too. What a depressing book.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:28 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjackid View Post
I've read How Green Was My Valley, too. What a depressing book.
Yes it is.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:10 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓

Used to read a lot before I got married and had a kid - recently I've been reading more thanks to my Kindle Touch that doesn't leave bedside (i.e. Mrs. Drelbs falls asleep, daughter gets to watch a move and Daddy gets to read!)

Best book I've read since I got it (and probably the best SciFi I've read in a looong time) was Wool Omnibus by Hugh Howey. I can't recommend that one enough.

I got Pump Six and Other Stories by Paolo Bacigalupi on the Humble eBook Bundle and it's a great collection of 'dismal future' short stories.

Currently reading Berlin Diary: The Journal of a Foreign Correspondent 1934-1941 by William Shirer, and it's a great first-hand almost day-by-day account of the events leading up to WWII.

The few moments I've spent with physical books recently have been with gamebooks - I was playing Fighting Fantasy: Seas of Blood by Steve Jackson until my daughter snatched my character sheet/bookmark, and I've got nice reprints of Fabled Lands 1-6 (by Dave Morris & Jamie Thomson) that are a joy to play. I really wish Meghara could get the rest of the books (3-6) added to the iOS version.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:32 PM
iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.x

You seem to have quite a wide variety of things that interest you. I'll throw a few into the mix you may be interested in - Cormac McCarthy - the road, and blood meridian will suck you in - read each one in one sitting - couldn't put them down. Hopefully you've read JD Salinger Catcher in the rye? It used to be required reading, and probably still should. Profiles in Courage - JF Kennedy, The Defense Never Rests - F Lee Bailey, The Good Earth, and The Exile - Pearl Buck, Cryptonomicon - Neal Stephenson, Tad Williams -Otherland series, Blindness - Jose Saramago, Isaac Asimov - Foundation Trilogy, William Gibson -Burning Chrome and Neuromancer, In Cold Blood - Truman Capote.
I used to have time to read like you - went through 3-5 books/ week. Family, work, going back to school, makes it difficult.
For young at heart - The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman, and His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:47 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 8.x

Thanks for the recommendations - Catcher in the Rye is not something I've read yet but I have it and was planning on doing so. You've got a big list there, definitely going to take a look at some of those.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:39 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

I like reading book series. Read all books from Narnia, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Hunger Games and believe it or not -- Twilight. Didn't enjoy the latter one at all though I just had to finish it since I started lol.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:56 PM

Just read Khaled Hosseini's Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns.
Old books, but absolutely epic. Might have dropped a few tears near the end of A Thousand Splendid Suns.
Anyone know any similar books? Realistic, semi-historical, moving, etc.