Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 12-09-2012, 05:35 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Default Baldur's Gate - Basic tips for new players

Right, there's probably some people here new to the world of Baldur's Gate, and the rules of classic AD&D.

There's an awesome introduction on the official sites forum.
I'm linking to that here, and all credit goes to Winthal who made it, and please say thank you in his thread if you can make use of it, he deserves it.

Basic tips for new players.

Go here for additional help to newbies, but it's not guaranteed spoiler free, although they try to keep the thread relatively free of serious spoilers.

If you're new to the game, there's a lot of useful tips there, and no spoilers.
Please don't be intimidated by the wall of text, as its not compulsory to know all of it to enjoy the game, but there's bound to be something there to help you understand the basic rules and some tips to make your time spent in the Forgotten Realms more enjoyable.

I've posted this link already in the release thread of the game, but it got buried very fast, because there's so many people asking for help there. Most of these can be answered in the link provide here.

The official forum is filled with experienced players of the game, and they're all very helpful.

Last edited by Bytebrain; 12-09-2012 at 05:38 AM..
Old 12-09-2012, 06:07 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Default Help on some basic stuff on the iPad edition of BG:EE

A few hints on the iPad edition.
The tutorial on the game could have been a lot more helpful fornipad owners, so here's a few tips:

Tool Tips for spells and Special Abilities.

It's not as easy as hovering the mouse over a spell like in the PC edition, but at least it works:

Select a character with spells, click the spell icon so the various spells shows.
Then click the "Help" button, navigate to the right in Help, and it shows the name of each spell.

Get information on spells in Spell Book.

Tap and hold the spell icon for a second, then release.
A detailed description on the spell appears. This is important stuff.

don't tap the memorized spells, as they'll get deleted, and you'll have to memorize them again by resting.

Split a stack of arrows.

Double tap quickly on the stack, and you should get an option to split the stack in smaller portions.

Selecting doors, loot, chests, stairs etc.

This is quite difficult and annoying, but until (if) a patch alleviated this issue, your best bet is to zoom all the way in close to select stuff.
Especially loot from corpses can be right pain in the arse to select.

EDIT

A great tip found on the official forums regarding doors, stairs etc.

"Anyway, to enter a door simply select your party, the whole party, then pause the game and tap on the door you wish to enter.

If you see targeting reticles for your entire party where you tapped you missed the door. If you see only one reticle you have tapped on the correct spot. Unpause the game to enter the door. This has worked every time for me so far."

Last edited by Bytebrain; 12-10-2012 at 06:34 AM..
Old 12-09-2012, 10:39 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Thanks for posting this. I'm somewhat familiar with AD&D after finishing planescape torment earlier this year, but that game is light on combat, so I didn't have to go too deep into the mechanics.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:53 AM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

There's a few things I haven't figured out, like how to center the screen to your selected character, or how to go from the map screen to another area and then back to gamplay at that spot. I believe clicking on it like crazy worked?!
Old 12-09-2012, 03:06 PM
iPad (3rd Gen)

I copied this from the main thread. Don't know who to attribute it to.

Click on the spell, hold your finger on it for two seconds, release, and pop! The same thing applies for weapons, armours and items.

I also had a hard time with doorways until I figured out you need to click near the bottom of the door (like how you click on a character's feet) to select it. Once you find the sweet spot it gets a lot easier.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:28 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

A great tip found on the official forums regarding doors, stairs etc.

"Anyway, to enter a door simply select your party, the whole party, then pause the game and tap on the door you wish to enter.

If you see targeting reticles for your entire party where you tapped you missed the door. If you see only one reticle you have tapped on the correct spot. Unpause the game to enter the door. This has worked every time for me so far."

This is really helping me out on the targeting issue.