Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 12-10-2012, 10:35 AM
TouchArcade Janitor
iPhone (Original), iOS 1.x

Default 2012 has been a particularly fantastic year for ports, what's your favorite?

Just something I was talking about with Brad, this year has been bananas for iOS ports. GTA (3 and Vice City), Walking Dead, Jet Set Radio, and so much more. These are so tricky for working in to consideration for our "official" best of's as it's really easy to argue that even though a game like Vice City is an INCREDIBLE game, it's a bad iOS game.

I mean, its save system blows, the virtual controls are far less than ideal, checkpointing is basically non-existent, etc. But, you could argue none of this matters because there's not really anything on the App Store that rivals the depth of a game like Vice City so you should just suck it up and deal with weird technical issues.

TRICKY!

Anyway, just curious what everyone's favorite 2012 released iOS ports have been and why.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:39 AM
Banned
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Bastion.. I tell you what I had to make a US account just for this since it wasn't available in my region.

What they said was true. Really great experience. The fact it's a fairly Newport means the graphics are good too. Started off slow, but picked up soon enough.

Ps: Graphics are very important to me so I don't really bother with all the ancient ports like gta vc jet set radio, crazy taxi, final fantasy and baldurs gate among others.

Last edited by defred34; 12-10-2012 at 11:06 AM..
Old 12-10-2012, 10:40 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Save system? It's the same as GTA 3 to my knowledge. If anything the controls are greatly improved on from 3, as you can tap to aim and it automatically prioritized enemy targets. Plus the camera is easier to adjust. I don't have any issues at all with the game and I'm about 15% through...

I'd say that it's a toss up between the Walking Dead and Vice City for this year's ports. Both are fantastic games, Walking Dead plays very well on a touchscreen while VC is easily manageable and offers many, many times more hours of gameplay and replay value. I really can't decide.

Edit: Bastion would place after Walking Dead or VC IMO, just my preference. Haven't bought Baldur's Gate yet; MC4 and VC are eating my gaming time atm.

Last edited by JBRUU; 12-10-2012 at 11:00 AM..
Old 12-10-2012, 10:45 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Send a message via AIM to SkyMuffin Send a message via Yahoo to SkyMuffin

I really want Lunar and Baldur's Gate to be my favorite ports, but they both suffer from control issues.

Bastion is flawless.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:51 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x

Send a message via Skype™ to iVaro

FFIV may beat them all
Old 12-10-2012, 10:59 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

Bastion for me

I thought Vice City plays just like it did on the PSX2, you can only save in your hotel ? Didnt expect to have save points all over the place. I'm getting used to the controls so i'm still over the moon about having it on my device.

Bastion 1st followed by Vice City for me
Old 12-10-2012, 12:50 PM
iPad 2, OS 4.x

Bastion and The Walking Dead are great games.
But the ancient Crazy Taxi does surprisingly well on iOS