★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Ariton
  • Genre: Strategy
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 21.0 MB
  • Version: 1.2.5
  • Price: $4.99
  • Average User Rating: 3.8 (5)
App description: Spaceward Ho! is a strategic game of awesome scope. You control the entire military and economy of a spacefaring race. Your goal: explore and colonize the galaxy.

Unfortunately, you are not alone. Alien enemies bent on galactic conquest will oppose your expansion. You fight them by developing new technologies and expanding your empire, or you can ally with them to turn enemies into friends.

Terraform newly discovered worlds or mine their natural resources. Maneuver your starship fleets, both in defense of your own systems and in offensive strikes against the evil aliens. Your strategic decisions will determine the fate of the galaxy.

Based on the original Mac/PC/Palm game and updated for iOS.

For new players, read the Help file and also watch the tutorial video online. Please contact us on Twitter @SpacewardHo or Our Website, or send us email.

Jaklar's comments:

It's out and it's great. Dunno how this was released with zero fan-fanfare....fans of 4X games are in heaven right now. $4.99:

Tutorial movie: Tutorial on Youtube

Developer site: http://ariton.com/

04-02-2012, 03:28 PM
I loved this game when I played it on my Mac many years ago. The colors look pretty atrocious, though. Was it like that originally? I don't remember it being like that, but maybe it was. In any case I might have to pick this up. Thanks for the heads up.

04-02-2012, 04:26 PM
Whoa, awesome. What is this 4x week?

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
04-02-2012, 06:35 PM
Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaklar View Post
It's out and it's great. Dunno how this was released with zero fan-fanfare....fans of 4X games are in heaven right now. $4.99:
Well, looks like you beat me to it! I'm the developer of the game and we were just working on posting about it everywhere. As it is our first gaming release on iOS devices we don't have the huge publicity yet.

Glad you love it. If you have any suggestions, we are actively working on improving it. We are also at work on making it run on the smaller screens (iPhone/iPod).

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunc View Post
I loved this game when I played it on my Mac many years ago. The colors look pretty atrocious, though. Was it like that originally? I don't remember it being like that, but maybe it was. In any case I might have to pick this up. Thanks for the heads up.
And yes, those are the original colors. Only difference is the sidebar is blue instead of white. We had it white originally and it looked quite bad and too bright. But we are using the original graphics for the ships, planets and players.

Also, don't forgot to play next Sunday to see a special hat
04-02-2012, 06:37 PM
Retina

I have also submitted (and hopefully it will get released this week) an update to take advantage of the retina displays. You can see the difference at http://ariton.com/post/19841883926/n...pad-aka-ipad-3

We are also working on a 1.0.2 update right now with bug fixes and more features.
04-02-2012, 07:33 PM
Any sort of single player stats?

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
OpenFeint, Plus+, & Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, Crystal, & iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
04-02-2012, 08:05 PM
I cannot recognise this game until I see that ship with a big green ball in the middle of it...

On my wish list already

Statement: Star Wars has 2 characters with strange use of grammar: Yoda and HK-47. I pick HK-47 for it is meaner.

Honestly, I was never terribly good at games. - Finch (PoI S2E16)
04-02-2012, 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by christophercotton View Post
I have also submitted (and hopefully it will get released this week) an update to take advantage of the retina displays. You can see the difference at http://ariton.com/post/19841883926/n...pad-aka-ipad-3

We are also working on a 1.0.2 update right now with bug fixes and more features.
Awesome! This is one of my favorite classic games. Thanks for bringing it to iOS!
04-02-2012, 09:00 PM
Wishlist as well, will have to wait until next payday for this, but totally buying it as I too am a sucker for 4X games! Too bad I didn't already buy imperium Galactica 2, operation: Eradicate and Elder Signs: Omens last week otherwise this would have taken some of my app budget!
04-03-2012, 12:33 AM
YEEEESSSSSS!

Thank you! The greatest game ever on my iPad!

The AI is state of the art! It is a real learning AI ... this game is simply one of the best ever!!!

Schenker P505 Notebook | iPad Air 2 | iPhone 6+

I reject your reality and substitute my own.