★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: "It's a smartly and elegantly designed game that's not afraid to permakill you" --IndieGames.com

"The distilled essence of every 8-bit action role-playing game ever. Love it." --Kotaku

"Bit Dungeon brings together The Legend of Zeldas top-down dungeon stomping, Diablos loot lust, and the unforgiving difficulty of roguelikes within a slick retro-style quest." --Mac|Life

"Its great fun, made even more entertaining by the retro visuals that bring to mind classics like The Legend of Zelda on NES." --Game Trailers

16-bit Graphics
8-bit music from STRESS_TN

*Known Issue*
*Warning*, it is best to re-install the game when applying this update. There is a known save issue on some devices if you update with out re-installing.

*Instructions*
You and your wife were captured by demons...
You wake up trapped in a cell, grab your sword and let the quest to find your wife begin!

The "Save Rune" feature is only there to stop playing and pick it up later.
If you die you lose all items and start over.

Extra Life: at Level 4 you receive a Soul after the boss instead of more magic. When you die this soul gives you a second chance.

Touch to control the character.

Hold down Touch to charge up and use a STUN ATTACK.

Once CHARGED your next attack will be a POWER ATTACK dealing the total [Attack Damage+Critical Damage+Armor]

Hold Down Touch to BLOCK any attack.

*Stats*
LifeRegen Regens life slowly over time.
LifeSteal Steals life and heals you per hit.
DeathStrike Chance to instant kill normal enemies.
Chop Chance to take off 25% of total life in one hit.
Cleave Chance to do "Double" attack Damage.
Proc Chance to shoot a magic bolt on hit.
Crit Chance to do a Critical hit (Critical Damage3).
Defend Chance to block all enemy Damage on hit.
RunSpeed the movement speed of your character.

Attack Damage Normal hit Damage.
Critical Damage Critical hit Damage.
Armor Reduces Damage by a percent.
Life Increases max life.

facebook.com/KintoGames

strivemind's comments:

Free Flash version available.
12-14-2012, 10:31 AM
Dang, I wish I had an iPad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!

12-14-2012, 01:06 PM
Just found and downloaded this from app shopper. Came here to find out what everybody is thinking about it.

Guess its just me. The graphics reminded me of the original dungeons of legend of Zelda. I'll post back after I spent a little time with it.
12-14-2012, 01:13 PM
After watching the video, I snapped this up.
I'm not a fan of permanent death, but this looks to be fun . I wanted to
support the developer to encourage more games like this.
12-14-2012, 01:39 PM
Just had a quick spin and it's really good old fashioned dungeon sprawling fun. The screen plays the wrong way round for me though. Would like to flip it over to play the other way. Great game so far.
12-14-2012, 01:42 PM
Alright so I played through one life.
It's basically a point and click Zelda, where attacking is automatic. There is tons of equipment with different stats. Weapon,armor,shield,boots,magic slot, and one other type I didn't find littered around everywhere. You can swap them by clicking a found chest. Sometimes they are in boxes, sometimes from enemy drops, I found two item shops in the 4 dungeons I made it thru before dying. Each shop has four good items that u can use your dark coins that you find by killing things (pretty rare)

I made it through 4 dungeons before I died on a room with two bosses. Each dungeon had different enemies, and themes. One had skeletons, one had demons and mutants, on had knights and archers. It's basically like a dungeon in Zelda, there is 10 or so rooms per dungeon with bosses scattered throughout and a main boss in the boss room behind a red door.

While I would have liked direct control over the main character, it works well enough. Well worth one dollar.
12-14-2012, 02:25 PM
Love the Flash app so I'm sure this iOs version will be even cooler, one question though. Will this game track my top scores? In the Flash version I see there is a score but it just resets to 0 once I die and it doesn't appear to be recorded anywhere.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
12-14-2012, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekanikal fiend View Post
Alright so I played through one life.
It's basically a point and click Zelda, where attacking is automatic. There is tons of equipment with different stats. Weapon,armor,shield,boots,magic slot, and one other type I didn't find littered around everywhere. You can swap them by clicking a found chest. Sometimes they are in boxes, sometimes from enemy drops, I found two item shops in the 4 dungeons I made it thru before dying. Each shop has four good items that u can use your dark coins that you find by killing things (pretty rare)

I made it through 4 dungeons before I died on a room with two bosses. Each dungeon had different enemies, and themes. One had skeletons, one had demons and mutants, on had knights and archers. It's basically like a dungeon in Zelda, there is 10 or so rooms per dungeon with bosses scattered throughout and a main boss in the boss room behind a red door.

While I would have liked direct control over the main character, it works well enough. Well worth one dollar.
Does it record your top scores?

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
12-14-2012, 02:43 PM
I have really been enjoying this game!

The fighting is fun. If you hold down for a second or two
on the screen ,the hero will cast magic ....in this case I found a fireball spell.

You can run right through enemies and still attack as you go without being
stopped if you bump into them.

The graphics , sound effects and music work well to enhance the old style
dungeon crawler theme.

After you kill a boss and enter the room where you find a spell , don't forget to use one of the temp save
staff like symbols. This recharged my health and mana to full. Killing a ghost, before it leaves thorough a wall
will also give you a health potion.

I also Like the trail the hero leaves when he runs through blood etc and
health potion poring the life into the hero. Those are nice touches.

A nice story and some quests to perform would really complete the package here.

Good job so far!

Last edited by gemineye62; 12-14-2012 at 03:15 PM.
12-14-2012, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
Love the Flash app so I'm sure this iOs version will be even cooler, one question though. Will this game track my top scores? In the Flash version I see there is a score but it just resets to 0 once I die and it doesn't appear to be recorded anywhere.
I played to the first boss, I didn't see a score or stats anywhere which is crazy for a game like this. The game is great but no stats?