Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 12-21-2012, 12:16 PM
Banned
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Default TA's OFFICIAL GotY List Discussion

Ok, so TA just announced their top games of the year. Long story short:

Winner: Waking Mars
Runner Up: 1000000 (I hope I got the correct number of 0s)
Consolation: Devil's Attorney, Super Hexagon, The Room

What do you guys make of the list? Personally, I thought Waking Mars was a good title, but I'd really rate it 4/5. It is different, unique and polished, but really...there was something lacking in the core gameplay. I found it to be too slow for my liking.

I never played the runner-up. Devil's Attorney....I can understand it being on the list. Extremely fun, creative and loads of cheap humour. Super Hexagon too, surely deserves to be on that list.

So, is this a good GotY list, or a little poor from the guys running the show around here?
Old 12-21-2012, 12:19 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Guess they aren't counting ports...

And even then there are a plethora of better titles than Waling Mars, IMO it's a very niche genre. And praising it for being "non violent" guess we should give points to racers and sims for being nonviolent, too.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:19 PM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

Clearly depends on the taste of the guys at TA. I completely disagree with the GotY list though.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:54 PM
Banned
iPhone 5

Never played 10 millions, The Room or Devils Attorney, but I can see why they picked Waking Mars and Super Hexagon. The first for being something else, a gaming great experience and the second for the satisfaction it gives each time you best yourself.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:09 PM
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

I can see where they picked Waking Mars and Super Hexagon, even though WM won't be my GoTY. 10000000 is a fun game but really don't think it's GoTY material. And, well, haven't played The Room so can't say much about it.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:13 PM
Doctor of Game of the Week-ology
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 8.x

Not really my type of games, but I do respect them for picking iOS originals. Also a bit surprised Devil's Attorney made it in there. I loved the game as well but it hasn't gotten much attention in these forums.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:16 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Their choices are great titles, but i wont choose them as my GotY, mainly because these arent the titles that gave me the most enjoyable and immersive gaming experience for this year's iOS gaming.

Also, titles like Super Hexagon, despite being really good, are not even slightly considered to be a part of my GotY. When i make my GotY, i have my own criteria and rating system which goes something like this: Graphics, Sounds, Appeal, Polish, Immersiveness, Atmosphere, Content, Variety, Gameplay, the amount of time i spent in them, and the satisfaction i got when playing the games. I do not consider who the devs are, the IAP models or the pricing for my choices.

This means one-trick ponies like Super Hexagon, wont be a part of my list, unless i found them to be absorbing my thoughts and time into it when i play.

In the same boat does Devil's Attorney ride for me. I definitely loved Devil's Attorney, but so did i games like Saturday Morning RPG, Cthulhu Saves the World and TWEWY which i find to be similar because of the RPG battles, and a involve a bit of completing a collection. The latter titles just offered so much more in terms of depth, story, and gameplay elements... and im not considering the fact that one of them is a port, or that it is from a huge company.

10000000 is also a fantastic title, and is definitely one of the best games on the iOS for me, but i have my sights else where for GotY titles, although this may have made the cut easily if I had more reason to play it after i was done.

Waking Mars... This one was considered to be a part of my nominations. The game is totally immersive at what it does, offers a great deal of exploration, totally great presentation, can easily be played by anyone, and took me into it's world rom the first time i saw it to the time i finished it. It wont be my personal pick for GotY, but i definitely understand why it can be a good choice for one.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:32 PM
im in ur base killin ur d00dz
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Interesting picks. Glad to see 10000000 up there though! I'm sure TA will have another article or two for staff favorites and best of genres soon anyways.