★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

I need to delete some apps!

01-01-2013, 09:50 AM
#1
I need to delete some apps!

My 64GB iPod is full!!!
I'll post 12 apps and you can vote 3 apps to keep from the list.the 3 with the least votes get deleted.(please help I can't decide)
2xl supercross hd
3d pixel racing
4x4 jam
8 bit rally
Action driver
AeroDrift
Air mail
SG:air supremacy
Angry birds
Angry birds seasons
Angry birds rio
Angry birds space

Last edited by DannyTheElite; 01-01-2013 at 09:56 AM.
01-01-2013, 10:42 AM
#2
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 8,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyTheElite View Post
My 64GB iPod is full!!!
I'll post 12 apps and you can vote 3 apps to keep from the list.the 3 with the least votes get deleted.(please help I can't decide)
2xl supercross hd
3d pixel racing
4x4 jam
8 bit rally
Action driver
AeroDrift
Air mail
SG:air supremacy
Angry birds
Angry birds seasons
Angry birds rio
Angry birds space

My tips for freeing up memory:

1. very important: check the "Other" files. Connect your device to iTunes via PC or Mac and look how huge the "Other" section is. This is mostly the cause for loss of space and can take up from a few 100MB up to 7-8 GB!!
The "Other" files are junk files, like temp data, install packages that accidentally doesn't got deleted and much more stuff. If "Others" is larger than 1.2 GB, get back to me, I tell you what to do. With IExplorer, there are some methods to handle that sh!t.

2. Save your vids or pics to your PC every two weeks and delete them from your device. Can free several hundreds of MB or even a few GB.

3. Apps like "Appshopper", "Tweetbot", Twitter", "Facebook", "Youtube" and much others are data collectors. You can check the original apps size and the amount of data they've collected under
"General" -> "Usage", then click on "show all apps"
and tap an app to see the original size and how much "documents and data" they stored. Uninstall apps like Appshopper, Twitter and others and re-install to get rid of the collected junk. DON'T TRY THAT with games, video players, graphic programs and music programs, cause this stuff are your savegames, pictures, vids, music, graphics or other saved stuff!

4. Clear cookies and cache of your browser under the Safari tab. Can free quite some space.

5. Clean up old mails and SMS stuff or back it up to PC and delete. Especially mails with attachments.

6. Make a list in your note app. If you have a game not played for at least 1 month, write the name into it and delete the app - it's unlikely that you'll ever play it again with the huge amount of releases every month. But this way you can keep track and always check which games aren't finished yet.


This methods might save you from having to delete your precious stuff. Hope that helped.

PS: If you're really harcore, reset your device to factory settings after a backup and install only the things you REALLY REALLY need or play. It seems hard, I know... humans are hunters and collectors. But it isn't as hard as it seems. Be a man, go through it.

Hi, you seemed to be lost on the Internets.
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.

Last edited by Vovin; 01-01-2013 at 10:53 AM.

01-01-2013, 11:07 AM
#3
Nice helpful post Vovin <claps> (y)
01-01-2013, 01:17 PM
#4
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 8,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baracus View Post
Nice helpful post Vovin <claps> (y)

Oh, thanks very much!
Maybe I should post it in an own thread with a few more tips in the Lounge.

BTW, after doing all these five steps, always switch your device off and leave it off for 5-6 minutes. That should kill the memory-resident stuff and your device can clean up itself a bit after in the following boot process. "Device-DeConfusing", so to speak.

Hi, you seemed to be lost on the Internets.
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.
01-01-2013, 01:53 PM
#5
Got 1GB back from deleting freemiums I downloaded for FAS spins .
Got 1.6 gb back from deleting gangstar , GTA is way better IMO
01-01-2013, 02:20 PM
#6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vovin View Post
Oh, thanks very much!
Maybe I should post it in an own thread with a few more tips in the Lounge.
That would be appreciated. I'd like some more explanation for #1.
01-01-2013, 03:04 PM
#7
Quote:
Originally Posted by xraydash View Post
That would be appreciated. I'd like some more explanation for #1.
Agreed. I've always wondered about it.
01-01-2013, 12:34 PM
#8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vovin View Post
My tips for freeing up memory:

1. very important: check the "Other" files. Connect your device to iTunes via PC or Mac and look how huge the "Other" section is. This is mostly the cause for loss of space and can take up from a few 100MB up to 7-8 GB!!
The "Other" files are junk files, like temp data, install packages that accidentally doesn't got deleted and much more stuff. If "Others" is larger than 1.2 GB, get back to me, I tell you what to do. With IExplorer, there are some methods to handle that sh!t.

2. Save your vids or pics to your PC every two weeks and delete them from your device. Can free several hundreds of MB or even a few GB.

3. Apps like "Appshopper", "Tweetbot", Twitter", "Facebook", "Youtube" and much others are data collectors. You can check the original apps size and the amount of data they've collected under
"General" -> "Usage", then click on "show all apps"
and tap an app to see the original size and how much "documents and data" they stored. Uninstall apps like Appshopper, Twitter and others and re-install to get rid of the collected junk. DON'T TRY THAT with games, video players, graphic programs and music programs, cause this stuff are your savegames, pictures, vids, music, graphics or other saved stuff!

4. Clear cookies and cache of your browser under the Safari tab. Can free quite some space.

5. Clean up old mails and SMS stuff or back it up to PC and delete. Especially mails with attachments.

6. Make a list in your note app. If you have a game not played for at least 1 month, write the name into it and delete the app - it's unlikely that you'll ever play it again with the huge amount of releases every month. But this way you can keep track and always check which games aren't finished yet.


This methods might save you from having to delete your precious stuff. Hope that helped.

PS: If you're really harcore, reset your device to factory settings after a backup and install only the things you REALLY REALLY need or play. It seems hard, I know... humans are hunters and collectors. But it isn't as hard as it seems. Be a man, go through it.
Can't get to a computer to do number 1 will do it later
Did 2,3 and 4 saved 500mb
5 saved 20mb
01-01-2013, 01:08 PM
#9
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 8,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyTheElite View Post
Can't get to a computer to do number 1 will do it later
Did 2,3 and 4 saved 500mb
5 saved 20mb

That's a half GB wasted space back.
But #1 is really the most important. I guess you haven't resetted the device in ages, so there ahould be some potential.

Hi, you seemed to be lost on the Internets.
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.

Last edited by Vovin; 01-01-2013 at 01:18 PM.
01-02-2013, 04:35 PM
#10
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: California, USA
Posts: 3,840
Good advise from Vovin. I've done those things for a long time and STILL always have to delete apps to make room for my new stuff because I'm so rabid with all this, and with my new iPad now I took all my music, put it on an iPod freeing up another 15GB, and still never have more than 2GB left free these days! That said, other than going to a shrink for a check-up-from-the-neck-up because of my addiction, my ideal remedy for this is for Apple to make a device with at least 128GB out of the box! Not gonna get SD cards obviously, and hate the cloud and 'renting' expensive space. Apps/games are getting so big now, this is what I need! They need to get with it and give customers what they want. More space to keep your stuff (some may call it hoarding, but whatever).