★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

I hope apps become more expensive.

01-02-2013, 04:31 PM
#1
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 23
I hope apps become more expensive.

Since taking a job in marketing for an application design and development team company back in august, I have learned what the behind the scenes development looks like for app developers.

I, like many on outside the tech world, thought that developers could create apps in weeks and people could build websites overnight. I have since become educated on the art and delicate precision it takes to create beautiful, engaging, and creative apps.

The amount of time, energy, commitment and perseverance it takes to create these apps is mind boggling. Its only more confusing to me why developers have continued to create great apps and still price them at practically nothing.

Its a vicious circle since I believe it was stemmed from the beginning of apps in which the market was dominated by free and simple games. As the app market grew and more time and development was put in, the quality of apps has sky rocketed. However prices really havent. Consumers laugh at an app that costs 2$-5$ they get for life, when their lunch is over 10$. And 5$ is on the extreme high end for an app outside of the "productivity" category.

In the end I hope developers charge more for their apps. Its the only way the app industry will attract more talent and new ideas by people who can see a profitable result. I dont want to say its all about the money, I just see the quality and time put into some of these apps and would like to see those developers rewarded better for their work.

Am I wrong in believing this?
01-02-2013, 04:35 PM
#2
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 143

01-02-2013, 05:35 PM
#3
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: New Jersey!
Posts: 92
Well, I've been working on my game for 3 years now, and I'll be damned if I sell it for a dollar!

But I might end up selling it for a buck if sales are terrible...
01-02-2013, 05:44 PM
#4
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Isle of Wight, UK
Posts: 1,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizardo View Post
Well, I've been working on my game for 3 years now, and I'll be damned if I sell it for a dollar!

But I might end up selling it for a buck if sales are terrible...
I remember that speech. So, a buck it is then. :s

I'm obviously with the O/P here, bias notwithstanding. I think it's too late though tbh, one dollar is the expected price point and anything more than 3 won't get looked at unless it's a humungous brand. And I'm talking Halo or Pokemon here.

Large sales volumes may make up for it to some extent, but it's risky relying on it - especially with so much good stuff coming out week on week.
01-02-2013, 06:57 PM
#5
Hope you don't mind me in here but maybe more advertising on here would work not just a week after but longer. I'm a 99 cent and up gamer and some games I got I heard from people because no developer had advertise the games they just disappeared.

Also is the price drops which sometimes hurt depending on price. Its good though because supporting the devloper but if a 17.99 game goes free the week after release then it kinda stings.

Last edited by bramblett05; 01-02-2013 at 07:04 PM.
01-02-2013, 07:03 PM
#6
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Isle of Wight, UK
Posts: 1,502
iirc, a site takeover for a week is about 10-20K. Something like that.

That means you need a shitload of extra customers from it and I'm not sure how that math works - bloody expensive risk to take even if you have it spare, which most of us indies sadly don't.

It's a toughie for the (I expect large majority of us) indies, sitting somewhere in the full time job but not a big publisher seats.
01-03-2013, 10:06 AM
#7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
I remember that speech. So, a buck it is then. :s

I'm obviously with the O/P here, bias notwithstanding. I think it's too late though tbh, one dollar is the expected price point and anything more than 3 won't get looked at unless it's a humungous brand. And I'm talking Halo or Pokemon here.

Large sales volumes may make up for it to some extent, but it's risky relying on it - especially with so much good stuff coming out week on week.
Haha, aint that the truth. "No seriously, I'm going to stick to my guns with this game. Just look at all the other crap out there - I KNOW this game is worth at least 10 bucks, but we'll sell for 3... anything but a buck! We spent so long making it, its so unique, it looks awesome, and it just IS awesome!"

x months later said game is permanently at $.99

In the end, you can argue all day about worth, but from a business perspective you've got to do whats best... if that means a $.99 sale (or permanently $.99), I don't think developers should beat themselves up about the vocal minority, or selling their game for 10x less what its worth, IF its the right business choice.

Thankfully, IAPs have been a very nice way to kind of skirt around the whole "race to the bottom" pricing effect. With N.Y.Zombies 2 for ex, 33% of our revenue has been from IAPs (in a non-obtrusive, cheap IAP scheme), with 25% of our total "downloads" being IAPs. You'll hear the vocal minority of people complaining about IAPs in paid games, but its a fact of life for developers now in order to mitigate the fact that they have to charge dirt for their games up front... I'm not saying put in lame IAPs to force spending, but extra unlockable content on the side that costs extra seems to be a great way to make extra $$.

Heck, in the IAP market there is an even greater case for a cheaper cost up front... more people downloading = more opportunities to sell IAPs... and if our numbers are any indication, paid customers are actually MORE likely to get IAPs vs free downloaders, percentage-wise (you already know they are willing to spend money, unlike in free games), as long as they are fair and priced accordingly.

Anyway, I know it sucks but ultimately its up to developers to adapt to the market, and unfortunately the market is only getting cheaper (moving quickly towards freemium) Its already such a different game than it was 2 years ago!
01-03-2013, 10:10 AM
#8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foursaken_Media View Post
Haha, aint that the truth. "No seriously, I'm going to stick to my guns with this game. Just look at all the other crap out there - I KNOW this game is worth at least 10 bucks, but we'll sell for 3... anything but a buck! We spent so long making it, its so unique, it looks awesome, and it just IS awesome!"

x months later said game is permanently at $.99

In the end, you can argue all day about worth, but from a business perspective you've got to do whats best... if that means a $.99 sale (or permanently $.99), I don't think developers should beat themselves up about the vocal minority, or selling their game for 10x less what its worth, IF its the right business choice.

Thankfully, IAPs have been a very nice way to kind of skirt around the whole "race to the bottom" pricing effect. With N.Y.Zombies 2 for ex, 33% of our revenue has been from IAPs (in a non-obtrusive, cheap IAP scheme), with 25% of our total "downloads" being IAPs. You'll hear the vocal minority of people complaining about IAPs in paid games, but its a fact of life for developers now in order to mitigate the fact that they have to charge dirt for their games up front... I'm not saying put in lame IAPs to force spending, but extra unlockable content on the side that costs extra seems to be a great way to make extra $$.

Heck, in the IAP market there is an even greater case for a cheaper cost up front... more people downloading = more opportunities to sell IAPs... and if our numbers are any indication, paid customers are actually MORE likely to get IAPs vs free downloaders, percentage-wise (you already know they are willing to spend money, unlike in free games), as long as they are fair and priced accordingly.

Anyway, I know it sucks but ultimately its up to developers to adapt to the market, and unfortunately the market is only getting cheaper (moving quickly towards freemium) Its already such a different game than it was 2 years ago!
Sad to hear that. Love your games and would gladly pay more and same for rubicon. Both great developers. Its just people rather shell money for dragonvale but complain when a app is more then 1.99
01-03-2013, 04:31 PM
#9
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: New Jersey!
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
I remember that speech. So, a buck it is then. :s

I'm obviously with the O/P here, bias notwithstanding. I think it's too late though tbh, one dollar is the expected price point and anything more than 3 won't get looked at unless it's a humungous brand. And I'm talking Halo or Pokemon here.

Large sales volumes may make up for it to some extent, but it's risky relying on it - especially with so much good stuff coming out week on week.
You are probably right. But for some reason, traditional adventure games like the stuff Big Fish makes seem to go for a "premium" of two or three dollars. I also look at Hector Badge of Carnage which continues to sell for 4 whole bucks long after release. Who knows...
01-03-2013, 01:28 AM
#10
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: on the internet
Posts: 1,336
Hope you don't mind me in her either, but actually look at Simogo. they price bumpy road and beat sneak bandit at 3$ and they make money (: if your lucky just to get to the front page of toucharcade your sales will boost further. Have some unique art and that's another plus.

im a rpg loving kind of guy