Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 01-11-2013, 07:52 AM

Default The Infinite Black

Old 01-11-2013, 07:58 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Been playing for a couple days now. iOS , android, and bluestacks (pc) cross platform. It's a bit like what EvE would be if it were top down and simplified. That's enough for me to stay interested! Lots of fun so far with pvp, PvE "invasions", clan wars, territory claiming, clan garrisons and planets, etc. LOTS to do and I've not even scratched the surface of it (I left the safe area for the first time yesterday! Scary!).

Now for the real question ... The IAP. I'm happy to report it isn't mandatory (but like most games, its quite helpful) and that the IAP currency can be purchased from players for reasonable prices. This also is a clear connection to EvE and the selling of PLEX. Also, you are awarded black dollars (the IAP currency name) as you level and have a chance at randomly finding them in game.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:57 AM

Played this a year or two ago on my old android. I didn't know it was out for iOS
Old 01-12-2013, 12:00 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

Pretty grindy, but fun since there seems to be a lot of people playing. :-)
Old 01-15-2013, 03:38 PM

I'm bumping this to call attention to a really promising game. This game originated on the android platform. And, I only recently started playing it. But, it's a mobile-platform MMO with a really large player base (you're probably looking at 5-10k active players across 2 servers). Although I've never played EVE ONLINE, i've been told that it's similar.

Having existed on another platform for a while, the polish is really apparent. button functions and space efficiency are really top-notch. The graphics are acceptable, albeit unimportant.

IMPORTANT

Please note that this game, at least for the first long while is extremely grindy. So, don't get involved unless you're okay with that. In fact, a large portion of the fun of the game isn't even available to you until after you've leveled for a week or two (the scope is fairly large). I pray they find a way to make the first week more interesting. Also note that the game is fairly complex. I recommend reading the wiki tutorials on the whalesong games website.

What is available to you from the beginning is a rich alliance/corporation system whereby your role in the larger scale of things is constantly evolving. Additionally, the promise a rich PvE and PvP game there from the beginning. THere are things all around you that you'll want to do and will keep you motivated to keep leveling, gaining currency, and improving your ship/gear.

The game needs some evolution. As i said earlier, the first week is incredibly monotone. There are few options for what you can do to progress. And late game, while inviting, still needs some more complexity (for instance, while you can attack other alliance's planets, it does little other than act as a source of bragging rights.

Keep in mind that I've only been playing 3 days. And while this part of the game is monotonous to me, I'm still driven back to grind more and more. PvP, special ship customization, and large-scale PvE endeavors are on the horizon. And I can't wait to give them a try. Initial impressions make me think: 4 out of 5 stars.

One final note about IAP (because I know the subject is so divisive for the community here. black dollars are the paid-for currency in this game. They can be used to basically propel anyone to end game gear, if they so choose. They're also used for things like increased movement speed or XP. BUT -- so far, all but one thing I've seen (and it's not the best option by far) is purchasable with normal in-game currency. Additionally, BD's are very expensive...prohibitive, in fact, for most who are trying to simply buy their way to top-notch gear. However, strangely, BD's are constantly traded for in-game currency. Everyone is given BD's at leveling benchmarks. And most guides will tell you to sell them immediately for in-game currency. Additionally, it's entirely possible to have the most money in the game without spending a dollar. The nature of the corporation system rewards you for gaining power. Corporations (and, by extension, their leaders) are given credit and black dollar bonuses whenever their members earn them.

It's free to play. Check it out for yourself and tell me I'm wrong.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:34 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosoup4crr View Post

Please note that this game, at least for the first long while is extremely grindy. So, don't get involved unless you're okay with that. In fact, a large portion of the fun of the game isn't even available to you until after you've leveled for a week or two (the scope is fairly large). I pray they find a way to make the first week more interesting. Also note that the game is fairly complex. I recommend reading the wiki tutorials on the whalesong games website.
I agree with the first point. It definitely felt like forever to hit level 10 and get into the black sectors (open pvp, tougher npcs, PvE events, pvp territory assaults, etc). But now that I'm there it feels like a different game! Very fun

The second part I'm not 100% on board with. The game is complex if you want it to be. You can go the min/max route with gear and ships or you can just pew pew without worrying about being as efficient as possible. If you min/max, particularly at higher levels, then you get into a larger amount of complexity. It isn't necessary to be a hardcore player though to enjoy the game. I thought it was fairly easy to get into without reading the wiki, but that's because I didn't know it was there! If i were started all over as a newbie I'd read it.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:06 PM
iPad mini, iOS 7.x

Quote:
One final note about IAP (because I know the subject is so divisive for the community here. black dollars are the paid-for currency in this game. They can be used to basically propel anyone to end game gear, if they so choose. They're also used for things like increased movement speed or XP. BUT -- so far, all but one thing I've seen (and it's not the best option by far) is purchasable with normal in-game currency. Additionally, BD's are very expensive...prohibitive, in fact, for most who are trying to simply buy their way to top-notch gear. However, strangely, BD's are constantly traded for in-game currency. Everyone is given BD's at leveling benchmarks. And most guides will tell you to sell them immediately for in-game currency. Additionally, it's entirely possible to have the most money in the game without spending a dollar. The nature of the corporation system rewards you for gaining power. Corporations (and, by extension, their leaders) are given credit and black dollar bonuses whenever their members earn them.
One disagree about the IAP part. The game is well balanced between the free players and paid players. Although you can purchase BlackDollars to get the second best ship in the game. The top gears in the game can only be equipped by high lvl players that are 50 and up. So even if the players purchased the best gears there are they would not be able to equip them because of their low level.