Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 01-16-2013, 05:03 AM

Default Momonga Pinball Adventures - (by Paladin Studio)[Universal]

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Homepage:

Last edited by Echoseven; 01-18-2013 at 03:29 AM..
Old 01-20-2013, 08:16 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid

Pinball games on the iOS are definitely hit and miss. The controls, physics and general layout of the tables have a huge impact on the gameplay experience, and screwing up one aspect can throw the rest of the game off entirely, and while some players prefer the crazy old-school layouts, others have been waiting for something to push the genre forward. Paladin Studios, developers of Jimmy Pataya, have just released their second iOS title, Momonga Pinball Adventures, and pushing the genre forward is something that it does very well.

You’ll guide Momo through 9 levels as he sets off on an adventure to save the Momonga who’ve been taken by the Owls. Aided in the adventure by Panda, you’ll face off against the Owl tribe as the last of your kind. Each of the 9 levels contains 5 challenges and a possible 3 star rating which is based on your score. Scores are built by collecting stars that appear after breaking crates, destroying enemies and are otherwise scattered throughout the stages, how much time it takes to complete the level, how much health you have remaining, and how many challenges you’ve completed.
The challenges differ from level to level, but the first one is always the same; complete the level. Others range from collecting all the stars in a level, destroying targets with a set amount of flipper actions, destroying a certain number of rocks, finding secret areas and more. This does help add to the replay value and though it does feel a bit tacked on after the fact, will give completionists a run for their money as the challenges can range from casual to very challenging.

Levels are split up into areas which you’ll be required to ‘complete’ before moving on to the next area. This can be done either by hitting targets, unlocking a door and then making it through the door before it closes again, destroying the enemies in that area, hitting Momo into a jump pad that will catapult him to the next area, or simply by hitting Momo into a booster that sends him on his way. As you get into the later levels, Momo is joined by a kung fu firefly who goes crazy at the sound of a bell, requiring you to hit the bell to activate him, and then help him defeat the Owls by hitting Momo into the enemies the firefly is attacking.
You’re given 3 hit points for each stage, with some stages having hearts that you can pick up to restore your HP. Falling into the drain or getting hit by an enemy will take away HP, and with some enemies able to attack, and smack you in other directions, death from HP drain is a very real possibility in some levels.

Breaking up the pinball play are sections in which you’ll need to fly to reach the next area. This is done by tilting your iDevice. It isn’t required that you tilt your device in most cases, as Momo will safely glide to the next area without help, but if you want to collect stars and boost your score or complete challenges, you will need to control Momo in order to do so. This did take me by surprise when it first happened, as there wasn’t any introduction to it, or any dialogue saying that flight was going to be necessary, even though the stage that you first fly in is named ‘Fly Momo Fly’. This aspect of the gameplay might just turn some people off. I mean, who wants to control a flying squirrel with tilt controls during a pinball game? But it does add to the ‘adventure’ aspect of the game a bit.

Also included in the game is a bonus infinite level where you’ll guide panda through the air collecting donuts and other bits of food with this control method. Now, since Momonga started as an infinite pinball game with randomly generated levels, something like this would have been awesome for a bonus level. Even though most of the code was probably scrapped while turning the game into a level based pinballer, it would have been great to have a ‘score as high as you can before you die’ pinball level as a bonus instead of a ‘tilt while flying to collect food’ endless level in a pinball game.

Aside from that, the controls are great, with tapping on the left and right sides of the screen controlling flippers, and the physics for the game just feel right. Even though they are nothing like a ‘real’ pinball, they do feel good considering you’re flicking a rolled up momonga through the world. The level designs and graphic qualities of the game also stand out quite a bit, though those of you searching for a crazy ‘quick bounce’/lights flashing everywhere type of pinball game could be pretty disappointed, Momonga Pinball Adventures does take a stab at merging the pinball genre with the adventure genre, and does a great job creating an evolution of the two. It makes me want other developers to create even more dynamic, complex adventure pinball games in the future, but as it is, this is an amazing start.

Regardless of anything negative I can think of to include here, Momonga Pinball Adventures stands out as one of my favorite pinball games to ever grace the AppStore. Priced, at launch, for $0.99, the game will rise to $2.99 in a couple more days, so if you’re even remotely interested in checking out what a flying squirrel pinball adventure game with crazy high production values on the touch screen is like, you might want to snag this one ASAP. Being Universal and including GameCenter integration also helps quite a bit with the recommendation, having 11 leaderboards, one for each stage along with the bonus stage, as well as a ‘Total Score’ board and 10 achievements, the game is also only the beginning, being part 1 of 3. Though this also might turn some people off, as episodic iOS games don’t really have a great track record, the content contained in the game as of now definitely justifies the $3 asking price. With Momonga Pinball Adventures and Jimmy Pataya under Paladin Studio’s belt, here’s hoping that they keep developing outstanding games for the iOS.

4.5/5
Old 01-20-2013, 08:21 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

^Great review... Totally agree with it.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:10 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyloudspeak View Post
DEVELOPER - Please consider adding even more stages, even if that means an additional purchase. Can't get enough of this game and want more! Thanks!
Thank you! We have two more bonus levels scheduled for episode 1. After that we will work on episode 2 - if we have enough momentum with the game. It's going the right way, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the upcoming weeks! Needless to say, the overwhelming support from you guys keeps our spirits high

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiX View Post
Hi while I enjoy the game initially (the intro and the first few levels), I find that the way that the challenges are locked means u have to play every level at least 5 times, no doubt to add "replay value". I feel it's kinda forced though. Being the completionist that I am, I've been trying to get 5 stars before to the next level after after a while, I got sick of repeating the game that I put it down altogether. Dev, can we just have all 5 challenges unlocked at once so we can at least try to aim for a few each time we attempt a level? I think it makes for a smoother experience even if it takes shorter to complete the game than being forced to play over and over again
Hi toshiX, thanks for your feedback! The levels were designed in a way that lets you play through the whole storyline, and then dig a bit deeper to finish all the challenges. We never thought that people would want to play all the challenges sequentially - so you will encounter some very difficult challenges in even the early levels. You are not the only one playing the game like this, so I will report this back to the team and see if we can figure out a way to make progression more intuitive. Thanks for your suggestion of making the challenges selectable.

Does anyone have other suggestions to make the progression better for the completionists? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramblett05 View Post
How is the game for the people playing on touch 4 still?
I haven't heard of major problems, but some reviewers on the App Store complained of framedrops and crashes. A hard reset seems to solve these issues, but have to confirm this with our own testing before we can officially support touch 4.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:57 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by derkdegeus View Post

Does anyone have other suggestions to make the progression better for the completionists?
Just open up all the challenges at once, so we can shoot for all of them in a single playthrough of a particular level. Thanks!
Old 01-20-2013, 08:13 PM

What's the installed size ?
Old 01-21-2013, 10:32 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Send a message via Skype™ to louisear

It's cool to turn a pinball to a story and adventure to play. Nice graphic and story. love it.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:45 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psiufoxx View Post
Ooh, love it! Had no idea it was just posted somewhere on your site. Thanks for sharing, though it's darn hard

Edit: Unity is some amazing software... the fact that it's running in my browser like that but could just as easily have been compiled for my iPhone is fairly magical.

Also, playing through the infinite pinball a bit - it's amazing that this is just what you guys consider a prototype. To someone like me with my rudimentary coding skills, this is a game through and through. But to you guys its leagues away from what you would consider releasing on the App Store. And yet, it's so easy for people to review Momonga and say "omgz game for babees, 1 star" without really appreciating the game. Oh well, I'm just blathering on here. Can't please all the people all the time I guess.
Unity *is* amazing. We have Momonga running on Android, PC, Mac, and can quite easily port it to other platforms too. The main thing with porting is that it requires a different Graphical User Interface, and different platform-specific features. For example, Android doesn't have Game Center so we need to find an alternative for it. So that is where most of the work is, and why we haven't launched an Android / PC / Mac version yet.

Oh and you're absolutely right, you can't please everyone. Matter of fact, I believe that it's much better to have a game that some folks love and others hate, instead of a game that's just, meh, a dime a dozen. Nobody really cares about the next clone of a clone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiX View Post
Really like the quick response of the dev in the thread. Seems like (hopefully) this nice little gem of a game is gg to get much better with updates (again hopefully soon )
It's great to hang out here and talk to you guys. TA is the heart of the mobile gaming community so I think it's important to get your opinions and ideas. Thanks for your support! And those updates are coming, at the very least the two bonus levels and Android support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisear View Post
It's cool to turn a pinball to a story and adventure to play. Nice graphic and story. love it.
Cool, you're from Cambodia! Thanks for the kind words
Old 01-21-2013, 11:36 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid

I can not believe I forgot about Sonic Soinball while writing up my review. =o/

Regardless, my thoughts about the game are still the same. I love the mix of adventure and pinball genres, and I can't wait to play the upcoming content (hopefully it does come in the future... I know iOS games and "coming soon" content is pretty sketchy... For very good reason)...

The production values are amazing. Im really shocked that the Devs did out as much time as they did into this game, and I REALLY hope it pays off for them.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:46 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

^Yup... great game, and I hope it gets the attention it deserves, and helps the devs out on the business.