Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 01-18-2013, 09:01 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Default My new iOS game DEXX!

Here is a youtube video with link to download it for Free!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PndM8d85iB0
Id love some feedback too! Thanks!

Last edited by psj3809; 01-18-2013 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: Added appinfo
Old 01-18-2013, 09:21 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Nice work, Myles. Ill be sure to post impressions.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:35 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

THANKS! Your the first person to give me any feedback! Let me know if you think I can improve anything. I know my artwork isn't the greatest.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:01 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓

Embedded that for ya:

Youtube link | Pop Up
Old 01-18-2013, 10:24 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

What is "Squids". So what don't you like about my game?
Old 01-18-2013, 10:26 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

WOW! I'm a total N00b! I didn't realize that was your signature! I thought I was being compared to another game.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:04 PM
In Time-Out
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Default Game Impressions

I have played the first 23 levels and I think I've gotten a good grasp of what the game has to offer.

The presentation, artistic assets, and gameplay are all very minimalistic. It seems like this game wasn't pumped full of finances But that's okay if the gameplay is good. And I have good news: It is!

Now I won't say this is the best physics platformer I've ever played, but I am having fun with it. The fact that the levels wrap (where when you go right, you will return to the screen from the left) is insanely cool. You don't see that gameplay mechanic too often. It adds a certain sense of satisfaction to completing certain levels that non-wrapping levels can only dream of attaining. Could just be me, but I love that.

The controls are good, though the physics seem a little sketchy. I'm not sure how to explain it, but the physics regarding climbing objects could be refined. In addition to that, the jumping mechanic could also be refined. Climbing up walls is possible, but it is very touchy in its current state. Smooth that out a bit, in my opinion.

The black platforms making you bounce is a great idea, but I feel the time it takes to build up enough height for a decent jump is way too long. I think you could double or even triple the speed of it and the game would be a lot better because of it. Well those levels that utilize the black bouncy platforms, at least.

The different colored platforms doing different things is a very nice idea. I like it a lot. I'm confused, however, by the role of the blue columns. The game explains you can climb them, but you can technically climb on every object, so I'm confused what their role is in the grand scheme of things.

The red platforms that rotate: another good idea, but executed in an underwhelming manner. Tapping the platform makes it move, it appears, only like 5 degrees... maybe 10. I think it breaks the flow of the game when I have to tap the same platform 10 times just to get it in the right place. And in a level where the red platforms dominate... it can become an exercise in frustration and end up being quite tedious. Might I suggest being able to fully control the platforms by swiping your finger? 1:1 tracking, so that when I touch the right side of the platform and swipe down about 30 degrees, the platform will follow without question?

There is a part of me that believes you deliberately made the black bouncy platforms take a while to build up the jump height, as the music in the game kind of gives off a trance-like vibe. I'll admit I was kind of entranced when I was building up my jump height, but I'm not sure this game calls for that. It seems like some of the levels beg to be beaten quickly, and some are more relaxing affairs. In a game like this, I'm not sure those two connotations can co-exist comfortably.

But those are my suggestions. So far it has a lot of potential

P.S. When I tap Add More Levels, the dialogue box that comes up says "Tap Yes!". Is that going to charge my iTunes account automatically, or does another box come up that confirms the purchase? If that is the only box that comes up, I think you should reconsider the thought behind that, because that's actually pretty unethical. If another box comes up, though, that plainly states the amount that will be charged, you can ignore this worry
Old 01-18-2013, 02:26 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Thanks for the feedback! I actually agree completely about the red platforms being difficult. I took them out of almost all the levels. In the coming update(Tuesday, 22 JAN) I've increased the black platform bounciness. No, you won't be charged for tapping the "add more levels" button. Apple requires a button to give you two notifications before being charged. Another box comes up after that and asks "are you sure?". Once again, I greatly appreciate the feedback! You should play through more levels though. I promise it gets better as you go.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:30 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Oh! Sorry I didn't answer a few other questions you had. My goal was just to teach the player they could climb walls/objects. I guess I should re-word that anything can be climbed.
The physics engine I'm using could probably be better, but it's all I have to work with right now. I'll improve when the developer releases a better engine.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:12 PM

Ok I gave this game a go out of a morbid curiosity thinking i could go all simon cowell on giving it a review, first off let's not beat around the bush, it looks like crap but it's actually a Really brilliant game. Don't be put off by the screen shots the controls are great and the game is very rewarding. I do think your going to struggle getting downloads and sales due to the look. I'm not saying it needs to look like call of duty but and upgrade to the visuals would really help it sell. I fully recommend people having ago. I will give it a five star review in uk AppStore!!!!