Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 01-18-2013, 09:53 AM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Default Slime Escape! Escape many puzzle! [Free game]

TITLE :SlimeEscape
PRICE : Free $

DOWNLOAD(APPSTORE)
Attached Images
File Type: png s5.png (138.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png s4.png (217.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png s3.png (196.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png s1.png (145.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png s2.png (139.0 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by onlyminsik; 01-18-2013 at 09:55 AM..
Old 01-18-2013, 10:58 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Old 01-18-2013, 01:16 PM
In Time-Out
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Default Game Impressions

Well I've played 12 stages so far. I don't know why I gravitate to these kinds of games, but I do love them

The graphics are cute and colorful, though also very tiny, so it's difficult to see the little details. The music is simple, and kind of annoying. And something I despise, as most of you know, is when a game doesn't allow you to use your own music. This is one such game. I wish you could use your own music, but alas...

There are no options in the game at all. No sound options. That's what it seems like at least. Nothing wrong with that, but I would appreciate the ability to deactivate the music and use my own.

So how do you play this game? Well I was thrown for a loop. After playing Pudding Monsters constantly yesterday, I was expecting to be able to swipe the character to get them to the goal, but nay! There is a virtual d-pad. I'm not sure why the developer opted for this instead of swipe controls, but it's all right. I'm okay with it. It's responsive when it needs to be, and that's all that matters.

The goal is to move your slime to the goal, using obstacles to direct them. I believe the term for this type of game is "sokoban". Quell is one such game like this. A better one, too, in my opinion.

There are 65 levels. But curiously lacking is any sort of ranking system. There are leaderboards, but it appears all you need to do for the leaderboard is beat a certain amount of levels. The top person on the leaderboard has "65 levels". So there's no point system, no star system, not even a tracking of your best time on a level. So this really is a no-frills experience. I don't mind that usually, with certain games, but it's rather devastating and will absolutely decimate this game's replay value in the long run, if they don't implement even a time tracker system.

There's not much to say about the game. Ah, it's free, but are there any in-app purchases? Yes indeed. The standard "$0.99 to disable ad banner" IAP is here, as well as two others. You can pay $0.99 to unlock a Slime Girl, and her description, directly quoted, states, "Best pretty slime in the the [sic] slime world. Best fastest slime". So apparently she's fast... but since there is no time tracker, I don't see the point.

There is one more slime you can buy: Iron Slime. For $1.99: "Iron slime Never die!". So invincibility... neat, I guess.

One problem I've noticed is that some of the dangerous obstacles don't seem to have a set pattern. I could just be going insane on this one, though, so don't take my word for it. Like... when you just have to move over a single spike platform that's right next to you, it's easy to guess when is a good time to go. It becomes difficult the farther away the spike pit is from you, though, judging the appropriate time to go. And it seems to become totally random when there is more than one spike next to each other.

Well whatever. This is not too bad of a game. For free, I can't complain. I don't see why you wouldn't at least try it! If you like Quell, but would rather play in an art style that's very cute and colorful, definitely give this one a shot. It's not too bad.