Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 01-22-2013, 10:29 PM

Default How do your organize your iPhone/iPad games?

With the holidays and an onslaught of iTunes gift cards past us, I now have tons of games and no idea what folders to use or where to put any of these new apps. I usually do this by category (endless, strategy...) but even that's qualifier is getting blurry with so many puzzle games. Any ideas on different ways to sort everything?
Old 01-22-2013, 11:10 PM
Doctor of Game of the Week-ology
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 8.x

I organize them all alphabetically. For letters with few games, I group them together (ex: X-Z).
Old 01-22-2013, 11:27 PM

I just order them in order of download, reminds me I should be a bit more specific how I organise them.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:26 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

I don't organize at all...

Though I can always tell someone which game is on which page and what position, even the ones I haven't opened once since downloading months ago. Good memory, I guess?
Old 01-23-2013, 02:40 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

I put most of them in folders such as 80s, 90s, Platform I, Platform II, Shoot em up, Sport, RPG etc.

I have a 'Best' folder but thats now grown to 2 folders (and thats on the ipod touch 5 so that means each has an extra row)

I'm not OCD or that but i cant stand it when i see a friends phone and they dont even bother using folders, icons all over the place - bizarre.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:07 AM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

I just make folders and throw apps in randomly, except on the second page. There I have a folder of my top games and another folder for apps which I usually play also other folders for photography, RPG, FPS and such. I rarely scroll around, I mostly use the search function to open apps.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:23 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by crex View Post
I organize them all alphabetically. For letters with few games, I group them together (ex: X-Z).
Yeah, I'm like this. For example: Games (A) or if there are more than 12, I'll have Games (A-1) with Games (A-2) and so on. If I have any games starting with X, they'll be in the Games (X/Z) folder...you know. Utilities will be in Utilities, and so on and so forth. Naturally the apps will be in alphabetical order inside the folders. Maybe it's just my OCD, but like this, everything's found within seconds, and I don't have to stare at a million horribly titled (ThisAppisCalled...ds) app titles all day long. >_>
Old 01-23-2013, 12:51 PM

I rotate my current favorites in and out of my home screen, and group the rest into category folders, BUT I go farther:

1. I put 3 folders in a row that are conceptually related. For instance one row has 2 folders of Tower Defense and then a Castle Defense. Another row has Driving, Flying and Running. Another has two Word folders and a Numbers folder. Keeps things organized.

2. But a row is 4 icons, not 3... the first icon in each row is a "poster game": one single game that belongs with the first folder, but by leaving it outside, it becomes a clearly-visible "icon for the whole row." As I flip through my many home screens, the left side is always a stack of app icons that remind me of similar games in the adjacent folders.

So if I want to play Catapult King, say, I don't have to look for the "Catapult" games folder, or even remember what page it's on: I just look for the Angry Birds icon, and I know that other vaguely similar games are all going to be in folders beside it.

If you don't have THAT many games, you can do pairs instead of rows of 4: have one "poster icon" and then one folder of related games.

3. Lastly, I use an Emoji to give every folder name a mini-icon. A white sphere for Pinball. Two hands for Dual-Stick. a target for Catapult games.

And then there's always Spotlight and Siri to help... I have too many games!

In fact I probably use the Fast Switcher to launch games more than any other way: I can just swipe a few times to see the last dozen or so games that I've been on a roll with of late.

Last edited by Adams Immersive; 01-23-2013 at 12:54 PM..
Old 01-23-2013, 12:53 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adams Immersive View Post
3. Lastly, I use an Emoji to give every folder name a mini-icon. A white sphere for Pinball. Two hands for Dual-Stick. a target for Catapult games.

And then there's always Spotlight and Siri to help... I have too many games!
Whoa! That emoji idea is genius! Why didn't I think of that?!
Old 01-23-2013, 02:11 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Mine's a bit weird I have an entire page with genres (Tower defense, music games...) and favorites and then I just fill up folders per week. It's getting a bit messy with 450 apps installed...