Support our Sponsors:

Old 01-29-2013, 08:25 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Default Krashlander - Ski Down Mountains and Attack Evil Robots - [Universal]

Krashlander - Launching February 7, 2013

The Pitch
Krashlander is a physics powered game that will have you blasting down large mountain slopes and soaring over gaping crevices to attack the evil robots that destroyed your world.

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

What's interesting about krashlander
  • A fluid and precise physics-driven control mechanic borrowed from an awesome old abandoned game called Ski Stunt Simulator.
  • Epic rigid-body style crashes.
  • A dedicated one-man development team with a Google Doc full of update ideas. This first release is very much only the beginning.

The Story
Evil robots from another planet have destroyed your world.
Revenge is your mission.
Your krashsuit is your weapon.
ATTACK THE ROBOTS!!!

The story behind Krashlander is pretty loose. You play as the last remaining human who was once a member of an elite force of Krahslanders.

A Krashlander wears a protective "krashsuit", skis down mountains, and crashes into things. The krashsuit is his weapon. The suit's regenerative nature repairs any damage done to the occupant.

As the last remaining Krashlander, who now simply goes by the name Krashlander, your only mission is to exact revenge on the robots that destroyed your world.

Other Details
Launch Date: Februrary 7, 2013
Price: $0.99
Twitter: @jeffweber

Krashlander Media Kit (Screens, Icons, Description, Info)

Let me know what you think,

-Jeff Weber

Last edited by JeffWeber; 02-05-2013 at 08:39 PM.. Reason: More descriptive title
Old 01-29-2013, 10:39 PM

Great stuff! You may have a big hit on your hands here.
Nice art style, and great gameplay.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:00 PM
Doctor of Game of the Week-ology
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Really digging the art style and looks likea blast to play. Count me in!
Old 01-30-2013, 04:45 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

bram and crex, Thanks.

Glad you like the art style. Art is a weak point of mine so I try to keep it fairly simple. :-)

Appreciate the feedback.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:48 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

looks interesting
Old 01-30-2013, 05:02 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

How many levels in the release version? Any support for iPad retina?

I agree with the art style comments, simplicity is beautiful. Once you start attempting to use textures you risk looking amateurish, but you can't go wrong with plain colours.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:28 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
How many levels in the release version? Any support for iPad retina?

I agree with the art style comments, simplicity is beautiful. Once you start attempting to use textures you risk looking amateurish, but you can't go wrong with plain colours.
1st release will have 20 levels. More levels and a lot of other stuff will be added via updates. Krashlander is Universal and yes is supports iPad retina.

Thanks for the comments. Yes, if I made textures they would look amateurish. :-)

-Jeff

Last edited by JeffWeber; 01-30-2013 at 05:43 AM..
Old 02-05-2013, 01:45 AM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Send a message via Skype™ to Muscat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffWeber View Post
A fluid and precise physics-driven control mechanic borrowed from an awesome old abandoned game called Ski Stunt Simulator.
Ski Stunt Simulator had one of the greatest control schemes of all time. I am excited.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:59 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Like I said above, I've had the pleasure of playing the initial release version (1.0) of Krashlander for a few days now, and what started off as "what did I get myself into?" is now "wow...this is surreal".

Let's make this clear. Krashlander isn't exactly a 'pick up 'n' play' game. There's definitely a learning curve to the controls (best referred to by Jeff himself as one that require "learning a new motor skill"). It's not an easy game, but don't let that turn you off...it's one that's worth sticking with. Before you know it, you'll be smirking each and every time you nail that one segment that's been driving you nuts all day. I haven't played Ski Stunt Simulator, so this is the first time I've come across a control scheme such as this (while simple on the outside, incredibly deep) and as far as iOS is concerned, I could probably say this is a completely new experience.

Despite what's been said in this thread, as well as the impressions given off by the trailer, there's nothing really 'Angry Birds-ish' about Krashlander. You don't set up an angle, throw Krashlander (yes, that's his name) and hope for the best. You've got to meticulously control this fellow, contorting his body each and every second of the way until he hits his target(s) and as far as the physics are concerned, everything just feels right...whether it's the weight of Krashlander himself, the impact while hitting the evil robots or just flying across the land with your face planted in the snow. Heck, stretching your body while in the middle of a jump causes you to go slower, while curling into a ball does the opposite. There's a certain degree of realism to the game and there are so many little secrets and tricks to Krashlander. Practice definitely makes perfect (something I've yet to achieve even though I've 3-starred 14 out of the 20 levels).

The first thing the graphics reminded me of were the crisp retina graphics in the iOS version of 'The Lords of Midnight' and the entire game really does feel like it originally belonged on a C64 or ZX Spectrum. Do not in any way take that as a bad thing. It's a good thing. It's got an "old soul" thing to it...a simple game, with a simple menu, barren of any IAPs that just has the ability to suck you in. Also, as already mentioned, probably one of the strongest highlights of the game: the sound design. The only thing you're treated to in-game (other than the deathly grunts of Krashlander and the evil robots) is the sound of the wind. m i srs bro? Yes. It's eerily reminiscent of the final moments before Solipskier falls to his doom. Love it. Grab your headphones for this one.

20 levels (with another 20 planned...but it looks like Jeff has something up his sleeve based on the posts in this thread), fantastic control scheme, Universal, iPhone & iPad retina graphics, full game (no IAPs), $0.99. No brainer. I've used this term very rarely: Instant classic, as far as I'm concerned.

NB: I wasn't asked nor paid to write this up. I think everyone on TouchArcade who knows me knows that when I like something, I have absolutely no problem telling people I do. I had the chance to check this out quite a while before it became available for purchase anywhere and hence why my impressions are in detail.

Last edited by metalcasket; 02-05-2013 at 04:18 AM.. Reason: All that and ONE stupid spelling mistake!
Old 02-05-2013, 04:20 AM

iStunt 2 + a little bit of Angry Birds?
INSTABUY!!

Cant wait to play it.
Does it support the iPhone 5 screen?