Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Old 01-31-2013, 07:57 AM

Default How do you feel about UK Channel5's advocacy of piracy on iOS?

Not sure how many developers here are from the UK, but Channel 5 are a pretty major TV channel in the UK.

Nice to see their support for facilitating piracy on iOS...

http://gadgetshow.channel5.com/gadge...ut-this-sunday

Great huh?!
Old 01-31-2013, 08:17 AM
Developer
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

A jailbreak isn't automatically about piracy.

Matthew
Old 01-31-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHille View Post
A jailbreak isn't automatically about piracy.

Matthew
Of course. However, I am sure that in most instances it is about piracy. A major TV channel in the UK, by the very act of drawing attention to this issue, will I am sure be hurting smaller indie game developers like myself.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:43 AM

its really odd how the article is written, its as if they are very much endorsing jailbreaking. ive never seen a major news outlet in the uk actually endorse it like that.

As the are sponsored by PC world/currys do they also now endorse jailbreaking???
Old 01-31-2013, 03:25 PM
Developer
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Yeah, the first comment on that post sums it up nicely from a devs perspective. But then again, device owners should be able to do what they want with their devices. It's fair play of The Gadget Show to point it out to people.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:31 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

The thread's title is very close to libel, IMO. This is what the article actually says, "Once jailbroken, your iPhone can run apps Apple hasnít approved, and you can even change its themes and interface in ways you couldnít before."
Old 01-31-2013, 05:01 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Qwak View Post
Of course. However, I am sure that in most instances it is about piracy. A major TV channel in the UK, by the very act of drawing attention to this issue, will I am sure be hurting smaller indie game developers like myself.
Have you, or any of those in this thread, ever jailbroken an idevice? Because all of you are painfully unanaware of the plethora of productivity and sheer customization that is open to you. Literally anything can be tweaked, you can radically alter the look of your device so it looks like it's running, say Honeycomb. You can constantly monitor your RAM usage. SBsettings. Display recorder. Activator. Download files off the Internet. Change your default browser. Changing wallpaper (battery hog though). iFile. Modding games. Emulators. Barrel. Infinifolders. You imagine it, it's probably possible.

So please don't automatically assume that all or even most who jailbreak do so to pirate games. It's certainly possible, but then again will you automatically assume that every Android owner pirates games because it's even easier on that system?

Some common sense and knowledge surrounding the topic is advised.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRUU View Post
Have you, or any of those in this thread, ever jailbroken an idevice? Because all of you are painfully unanaware of the plethora of productivity and sheer customization that is open to you. Literally anything can be tweaked, you can radically alter the look of your device so it looks like it's running, say Honeycomb. You can constantly monitor your RAM usage. SBsettings. Display recorder. Activator. Download files off the Internet. Change your default browser. Changing wallpaper (battery hog though). iFile. Modding games. Emulators. Barrel. Infinifolders. You imagine it, it's probably possible.

So please don't automatically assume that all or even most who jailbreak do so to pirate games. It's certainly possible, but then again will you automatically assume that every Android owner pirates games because it's even easier on that system?

I here you can even bring back the old google maps
Old 01-31-2013, 05:29 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCubes View Post
I here you can even bring back the old google maps
Lol I don't know, probably. I haven't been jailbroken since iOS 6 released.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRUU View Post

Yep, I have done the dirty on an old iOS device (original iPhone) of mine, and I'm sure loads of people do jail-break for non-piracy reasons. Am not really saying everyone who jail-breaks is a bad-un; it's just the net-effect of having a jail-break available is that it facilitates piracy, which harms any platform (as it becomes harder for developers to make money on a platform, they'll naturally move elsewhere).

Even if Channel5 are sitting on the fence, the very fact that they're drawing attention to the availability of a jail-break, is pretty uncool in my book (and can only make the piracy issue on iOS, worse than it already is).

I like developing on iOS, just hope it doesn't get to be like Android (just as a side-note, game I released on Android only sold 1% of what it did on iOS, in one month).