Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Old 02-07-2013, 11:47 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Default Where did i go wrong with my puzzle game?

Hi everyone reading this!

Let me begin with a bit of information about myself. I started IOS developing last year November. I wanted to make a game like trainyard express and I came up with Monster Catch. I need alot of direction as im quite lost

Full Version
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/monster-catch-lite/id588972559?ls=1&mt=8

Lite Version
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/monster-catch/id588737562?ls=1&mt=8

Problem 1)
Now i am pretty sure this isn't a terrible game but after about 4 days of selling i had 100 sales for lite and 4 paid..Yes thats right.4 sales. I have had no sales since and i am a bit lost about what went wrong

Problem 2)
I tried getting into contact with about 10-15 reviewers however only one (Applicious) has replied and offered a deal for $750 which i didnt do.

TLR-
Is my game terrible?
Why have my game sales gone dead flat? Why is my app so invisible?
Does my icon suck?
Why does no app reviewer respond to me when i try get in touch with them? Is there a secret to it?

Thank you all for reading!
Old 02-08-2013, 12:50 AM

did you do advertising?
Old 02-08-2013, 01:25 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalcopy View Post
did you do advertising?
No. The only marketing i chose to do was a lite version/ try get reviewed
Old 02-08-2013, 01:46 AM
iPhone 5c, iOS 7.x

How did you even get 100 downloads of lite and 4 downloads of the full version when I haven't heard of your game? I check my RSS feeds daily, but never heard of Monster Catch.

The mystery isn't why sales dropped off a cliff, but how those 104 punters managed to find your game in the first place...
Old 02-08-2013, 02:10 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPadisGreat View Post
How did you even get 100 downloads of lite and 4 downloads of the full version when I haven't heard of your game? I check my RSS feeds daily, but never heard of Monster Catch.

The mystery isn't why sales dropped off a cliff, but how those 104 punters managed to find your game in the first place...
Okay okay enough with the condescension.I came here looking for help,not to be ridiculed
Old 02-08-2013, 02:35 AM
Developer
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Send a message via AIM to MarkFromBitmenStudios

A few hints:
- you need a new icon, yours is very noisy.
- your art style is not very inviting (screenshots).
- your description lacks anything capable of getting people interested and implies that there's nothing special about the game.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:22 AM
iPhone 3G, OS 3.x

Send a message via MSN to MindJuice Send a message via Skype™ to MindJuice

The days of just releasing an app and hoping for the best are LOOOOOONG past us.

Especially since there are no more New Releases sections in the App Store.

There is the curated New section, but you have to be chosen to be added in there and I am guessing your game was not chosen.

You MUST do some form of marketing and it won't be cheap. It also may not bring any results unless you can afford to spend A LOT of money.

My experience has shown that spending $1,000-2,000 (and I think probably anywhere up to $10,000) is basically flushing your money down the toilet.

Banner ads are the worst offenders. They are expensive and generate very poor returns.

If you have a good game and can afford to spend $100,000+, you can spend your way into the charts like the big guys seem to be doing.

I think the best way for indies to get noticed these days is to do something unique and remarkable to get people talking about your game even before it comes out. To paraphase Seth Godin, a remarkable game is one that people consider worthy of making a remark about. Do something that would make them want to tell their friends.

Of course, that is easier said than done.

Getting reviews for your game is also hard. Reviewers like the folks at TA get hundreds of review requests per day. They are only going to review the ones that look interesting or that grab their attention almost immediately in some way.

I haven't played your game (but I will), so I don't know yet if the gameplay is interesting, but the graphics are pretty "below average" to put it nicely.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:28 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

The honest truth, thanks mind juice!
Old 07-29-2013, 05:36 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Default Good advice and comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindJuice View Post
The days of just releasing an app and hoping for the best are LOOOOOONG past us.

Especially since there are no more New Releases sections in the App Store.

There is the curated New section, but you have to be chosen to be added in there and I am guessing your game was not chosen.

You MUST do some form of marketing and it won't be cheap. It also may not bring any results unless you can afford to spend A LOT of money.

My experience has shown that spending $1,000-2,000 (and I think probably anywhere up to $10,000) is basically flushing your money down the toilet.

Banner ads are the worst offenders. They are expensive and generate very poor returns.

If you have a good game and can afford to spend $100,000+, you can spend your way into the charts like the big guys seem to be doing.

I think the best way for indies to get noticed these days is to do something unique and remarkable to get people talking about your game even before it comes out. To paraphase Seth Godin, a remarkable game is one that people consider worthy of making a remark about. Do something that would make them want to tell their friends.

Of course, that is easier said than done.

Getting reviews for your game is also hard. Reviewers like the folks at TA get hundreds of review requests per day. They are only going to review the ones that look interesting or that grab their attention almost immediately in some way.

I haven't played your game (but I will), so I don't know yet if the gameplay is interesting, but the graphics are pretty "below average" to put it nicely.
This is a good reply, thanks!

If its any consolation OP, I am also experiencing something similar in terms of download numbers so you're not alone! But at least you tried and can keep on trying and improving yourself with your games and apps and building up the experience.

Good luck (i know, for one, I will need it for myself for sure!)
Old 02-08-2013, 10:50 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerseven View Post
Problem 2)
I tried getting into contact with about 10-15 reviewers however only one (Applicious) has replied and offered a deal for $750 which i didnt do.
Oh my, that's a lot of $.

Maniacdev has compiled a list of 170+ app review sites. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't cost that much to pitch to those sites.

Hope it helps!