Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-18-2009, 10:57 PM
games42 games42 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 85
Default What computer should I buy???

hi. So I want to get my feet wet and try to make an iphone game (and make millions but I need to know what computer to buy. Obviously I know I need a mac but I'm assuming I don't need the most expensive one out there....then again I can't get the cheapest one....any help??
thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-18-2009, 11:15 PM
Zwilnik's Avatar
Zwilnik Zwilnik is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 794
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by games42 View Post
hi. So I want to get my feet wet and try to make an iphone game (and make millions but I need to know what computer to buy. Obviously I know I need a mac but I'm assuming I don't need the most expensive one out there....then again I can't get the cheapest one....any help??
thanks in advance!
For instant action and reasonable price (which will pay itself back in a month with a half decent game), the basic MacBook is a really good iPhone dev machine. Ours was bought for our iPhone projects as our main Macs are tied up on other projects and so far it's done well.

The MacBook's fast enough for the iPhone simulator (too fast actually), has a built in screen so you're not having to find spare monitors, or keyboard for that matter. Can hook up to a 2nd monitor for more screen space and connects to everything.

It's also possible to dev on a Mac mini, which is also fast enough and I know a lot of devs switching over from the PC have used them for iPhone dev. But you do have to have a spare keyboard, mouse and screen for it. Pretty trivial for most people (and probably cheaper for Mac mini, screen, keyboard, mouse) but you can't sit out in the garden and write iPhone games with it like you can with a MacBook
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-18-2009, 11:41 PM
games42 games42 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwilnik View Post
For instant action and reasonable price (which will pay itself back in a month with a half decent game), the basic MacBook is a really good iPhone dev machine. Ours was bought for our iPhone projects as our main Macs are tied up on other projects and so far it's done well.

The MacBook's fast enough for the iPhone simulator (too fast actually), has a built in screen so you're not having to find spare monitors, or keyboard for that matter. Can hook up to a 2nd monitor for more screen space and connects to everything.

It's also possible to dev on a Mac mini, which is also fast enough and I know a lot of devs switching over from the PC have used them for iPhone dev. But you do have to have a spare keyboard, mouse and screen for it. Pretty trivial for most people (and probably cheaper for Mac mini, screen, keyboard, mouse) but you can't sit out in the garden and write iPhone games with it like you can with a MacBook
Thanks! And funny you should be the one to respond to my post because I JUST bought slotz racing! nice job with that! Can you please list the programs you used to make it? i mean was it xcode and photoshop and unity? or was it Objective -c and ...etc....I'm really starting out so trying to get a feel for what I'll need to know.
thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-18-2009, 11:48 PM
BulletDev's Avatar
BulletDev BulletDev is offline
Developer
iPhone 4, OS 4.x
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 784
Default

I also recommend the new MacBook. I currently use a White MacBook with a 2.4 GHz + 2 GB RAM and it works fantastic.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-18-2009, 11:49 PM
games42 games42 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarringtonSoftware View Post
I also recommend the new MacBook. I currently use a White MacBook with a 2.4 GHz + 2 GB RAM and it works fantastic.
I'm not really a fan of laptops though...I never got used to working on them
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-18-2009, 11:55 PM
BulletDev's Avatar
BulletDev BulletDev is offline
Developer
iPhone 4, OS 4.x
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 784
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by games42 View Post
I'm not really a fan of laptops though...I never got used to working on them
Well if you really don't want a laptop, there's the iMac. Same price as the MacBook with slightly better specs. It comes with everything you need and will work great too.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-19-2009, 09:31 AM
Zwilnik's Avatar
Zwilnik Zwilnik is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 794
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by games42 View Post
Thanks! And funny you should be the one to respond to my post because I JUST bought slotz racing! nice job with that! Can you please list the programs you used to make it? i mean was it xcode and photoshop and unity? or was it Objective -c and ...etc....I'm really starting out so trying to get a feel for what I'll need to know.
thanks!
I use XCode mostly (plus a bit of TextWrangler, AppleWorks and Pages for text & design work) for the code and design and my brother uses Cinema 4D and Photoshop for the art and Logic + a studio for the music and sound.

An iMac is a very good alternative if you're not a fan of laptops.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-19-2009, 10:36 AM
Acceleroto's Avatar
Acceleroto Acceleroto is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 274
Default

I bought the low-end 20" iMac for my dev work & it works great. I later bought a 2.4GHz white MacBook (no longer made) for coding while traveling and it's been great to have too. I've since upgraded both of them with 4GB RAM kits from Crucial (way cheaper than from Apple).

The iMac is my primary dev machine. Probably the best thing about the iMac is the screen real estate I have with it and the second display I have hanging off it. Because of the extra screen space, I'm definitely quicker at getting things done on the iMac.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent