★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: 2K
  • Genre: Strategy
  • Device: iPad
  • Size: 185.3 MB
  • Version: 2.4.6
  • Price: $6.99
  • Average User Rating: 4.2 (6)
App description: Redesigned for the iPad! - Build. Discover. Conquer. Rule the World!

Sid Meiers Civilization Revolution for iPad is built upon the foundation of the award-winning title that popularized the just one more turn formula on the iPhone platform. Exclusive to the iPad, the World/Scenario Creator is an entirely new feature for Sid Meiers Civilization Revolution for iPad which allows players to customize the world and game parameters to create hundreds of different scenarios and game types, providing limitless hours of entertainment. Additionally, Sid Meiers Civilization Revolution has been updated and optimized for the iPads larger 1024x768 pixel high resolution screen, with an enhanced user interface that improves the fidelity of world map tiles, improved controls for better unit movement, leader portraits, icons, and a broader view of the world map enabling increased vision and strategy for tactical gameplay.
Lead your civilization from the dawn of man to the modern age and beyond in Sid Meiers Civilization Revolution. Go head to head with historys greatest leaders as you wage war, conduct diplomacy, discover new technologies, inspire your nation and build the most powerful empire the world has ever known.

For nearly two decades, the Sid Meiers Civilization® franchise has been the benchmark for strategy gaming. Now the greatest strategy game of all time arrives for the Apple iPad with Sid Meiers Civilization Revolution.

LEAD YOUR PEOPLE TO GREATNESS:

Choose your victory path: military, cultural, economic or scientific. However you choose to lead your people, theres a way to win.

CHOOSE YOUR CIV:

Choose from 16 Civilizations throughout history (including America, Spain, China, Japan and Germany) to lead to victory.

INTENSE COMBAT:

Triple your strength by combining up to three units into one powerful army and destroy your enemies. Level them up through military victories to gain additional strength and new abilities.

ACCESSIBLE TO ALL:

Multiple difficulty levels, an integrated tutorial and friendly advisors are all here to help newcomers and seasoned Civ veterans alike.

GLOBAL DOMINATION TO GO!

Visit http://www.2kgames.com/mobile/ for more great games.

05-03-2010, 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNoSuperMan View Post
So any TOFTTers? I'm sorely tempted as I think this game COULD rock on the iPad but have heard a lot of buzz about constant crashes.

You'd think being released by a big company they'd be able to afford a little QA, but to be fair, like many other launch titles, all of their testing may have been done on simulators that can lead to a lot of weird situations. What does have me holding off still, however, is 2k's updating history. While they did finally fix most of the major issues in the iPhone version, it only took them FOUR MONTHS to finally come out with the patch and dead silence on any sort of forums since its release. Which leads me to believe they're definitely in the "fire and forget" school of development and if the sales for this incredibly glitched version don't reach some checkpoint they might just walk away from it entirely.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews

05-03-2010, 09:05 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to Mythbuster
Hi,
I have it and it is really great so far. I played it now about five hours and I had one crash. I hope they will bring an update ... and I think they will! They updated also the iPhone version after a while ... so I think they will do it also here!

Greets,
Sascha

Schenker P505 Notebook | iPad Air 2 | iPhone 6+

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
05-03-2010, 09:08 AM
I bought it when the pad first came out. Unfortunately, it has some major stability issues. I have yet to finish a game with less than a dozen crashes. When it works, it's wonderful. When it doesn't, it's annoying.

To be honest, I don't even play it any more. I just got tired of the crashing. I gave them the benefit of doubt when the pad first arrived, as they probably were working only on the simulator. However, I expected fixes by now.

My 2c...pass on it until they fix the damn thing.
05-03-2010, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythbuster View Post
Hi,
I have it and it is really great so far. I played it now about five hours and I had one crash. I hope they will bring an update ... and I think they will! They updated also the iPhone version after a while ... so I think they will do it also here!

Greets,
Sascha
Hmm, that sounds promising. You never know with the folk whining in the reviews if they even bothered to reboot their system after installing (a must after installing such a huge game) or if they're using a jailbroken device.

Do you recall where your one crash occurred? I've heard folk mentioning that saving and accessing the tech tree were often crash causers.

My iTunes Reviews
05-03-2010, 09:17 AM
After the crash I get back to the last round before it crashed!

I have rebooted my iPad. My system language is German.

Maybe I have more luck than other users ... so I can understand people who think it is better to wait until an update is out.

I think is would be a good idea to write an e-Mail to the developer and ask how long the update will take ...

Greetings,
Sascha

05-03-2010, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by idiotcoder View Post
I gave them the benefit of doubt when the pad first arrived, as they probably were working only on the simulator. However, I expected fixes by now.
I agree! I am sure that they had no real iPad because no "normal developer" had a real one before the 3th of April. So they had only the chance to use it with the simulator ...

From some games I tested I know that the simulator is only 95% reliable!

But nevertheless ... now they should have a real unit since two or three weeks ... so something should happen ... sooner or later ...

The big "bug fix update" for the iPhone version took three months ...

Regards,
Sascha

05-03-2010, 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by idiotcoder View Post
I bought it when the pad first came out. Unfortunately, it has some major stability issues. I have yet to finish a game with less than a dozen crashes. When it works, it's wonderful. When it doesn't, it's annoying.

To be honest, I don't even play it any more. I just got tired of the crashing. I gave them the benefit of doubt when the pad first arrived, as they probably were working only on the simulator. However, I expected fixes by now.

My 2c...pass on it until they fix the damn thing.
Out of curiosity, not that it should matter, but which iPad model are you using?

My iTunes Reviews
05-03-2010, 09:28 AM
Quote:
I agree! I am sure that they had no real iPad because no "normal developer" had a real one before the 3th of April. So they had only the chance to use it with the simulator ...

From some games I tested I know that the simulator is only 95% reliable!

But nevertheless ... now they should have a real unit since two or three weeks ... so something should happen ... sooner or later ...

The big "bug fix update" for the iPhone version took three months ...

Regards,
Sascha
Exactly my earlier point, I'm sure it didn't take them a solid 3-4 months to make the fixes, it's much more likely it was such a low priority to them they finally finished once they had some free time to spend on it. I could only hope getting a stable release on the iPad is a bigger priority but also think that they can be bottom line driven enough that it isn't nearly the priority of their other console/PC games (were there enough sales for it to be worth their time?).

My iTunes Reviews
05-03-2010, 09:33 AM
Quote:
After the crash I get back to the last round before it crashed!

I have rebooted my iPad. My system language is German.

Maybe I have more luck than other users ... so I can understand people who think it is better to wait until an update is out.

I think is would be a good idea to write an e-Mail to the developer and ask how long the update will take ...

Greetings,
Sascha
Actually, hmm, so they launched with German language support? I think it was in fact the localizations that took them so long to get to in the initial iPhone version and if that is now in place from the beginning maybe they will be able to address things much quicker. I will try sending an email to the developer but, sadly, when dealing with a big company like 2K I won't be surprised if they blow me off entirely or, if they do reply, it will be a very generic "We're working on an update..." with not even the slightest hint of when they think they might be able to submit it.

My iTunes Reviews