Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 04-03-2010, 09:27 AM
iPad

Default Civilization Revolution for iPad

Last edited by LordGek; 01-17-2012 at 06:05 PM..
Old 05-03-2010, 08:36 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNoSuperMan View Post
So any TOFTTers? I'm sorely tempted as I think this game COULD rock on the iPad but have heard a lot of buzz about constant crashes.

You'd think being released by a big company they'd be able to afford a little QA, but to be fair, like many other launch titles, all of their testing may have been done on simulators that can lead to a lot of weird situations. What does have me holding off still, however, is 2k's updating history. While they did finally fix most of the major issues in the iPhone version, it only took them FOUR MONTHS to finally come out with the patch and dead silence on any sort of forums since its release. Which leads me to believe they're definitely in the "fire and forget" school of development and if the sales for this incredibly glitched version don't reach some checkpoint they might just walk away from it entirely.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:05 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Send a message via Skype™ to Mythbuster

Hi,
I have it and it is really great so far. I played it now about five hours and I had one crash. I hope they will bring an update ... and I think they will! They updated also the iPhone version after a while ... so I think they will do it also here!

Greets,
Sascha
Old 05-03-2010, 09:08 AM
iPad

I bought it when the pad first came out. Unfortunately, it has some major stability issues. I have yet to finish a game with less than a dozen crashes. When it works, it's wonderful. When it doesn't, it's annoying.

To be honest, I don't even play it any more. I just got tired of the crashing. I gave them the benefit of doubt when the pad first arrived, as they probably were working only on the simulator. However, I expected fixes by now.

My 2c...pass on it until they fix the damn thing.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:09 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythbuster View Post
Hi,
I have it and it is really great so far. I played it now about five hours and I had one crash. I hope they will bring an update ... and I think they will! They updated also the iPhone version after a while ... so I think they will do it also here!

Greets,
Sascha
Hmm, that sounds promising. You never know with the folk whining in the reviews if they even bothered to reboot their system after installing (a must after installing such a huge game) or if they're using a jailbroken device.

Do you recall where your one crash occurred? I've heard folk mentioning that saving and accessing the tech tree were often crash causers.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:17 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

After the crash I get back to the last round before it crashed!

I have rebooted my iPad. My system language is German.

Maybe I have more luck than other users ... so I can understand people who think it is better to wait until an update is out.

I think is would be a good idea to write an e-Mail to the developer and ask how long the update will take ...

Greetings,
Sascha
Old 05-03-2010, 09:22 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiotcoder View Post
I gave them the benefit of doubt when the pad first arrived, as they probably were working only on the simulator. However, I expected fixes by now.
I agree! I am sure that they had no real iPad because no "normal developer" had a real one before the 3th of April. So they had only the chance to use it with the simulator ...

From some games I tested I know that the simulator is only 95% reliable!

But nevertheless ... now they should have a real unit since two or three weeks ... so something should happen ... sooner or later ...

The big "bug fix update" for the iPhone version took three months ...

Regards,
Sascha
Old 05-03-2010, 09:24 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiotcoder View Post
I bought it when the pad first came out. Unfortunately, it has some major stability issues. I have yet to finish a game with less than a dozen crashes. When it works, it's wonderful. When it doesn't, it's annoying.

To be honest, I don't even play it any more. I just got tired of the crashing. I gave them the benefit of doubt when the pad first arrived, as they probably were working only on the simulator. However, I expected fixes by now.

My 2c...pass on it until they fix the damn thing.
Out of curiosity, not that it should matter, but which iPad model are you using?
Old 05-03-2010, 09:28 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
I agree! I am sure that they had no real iPad because no "normal developer" had a real one before the 3th of April. So they had only the chance to use it with the simulator ...

From some games I tested I know that the simulator is only 95% reliable!

But nevertheless ... now they should have a real unit since two or three weeks ... so something should happen ... sooner or later ...

The big "bug fix update" for the iPhone version took three months ...

Regards,
Sascha
Exactly my earlier point, I'm sure it didn't take them a solid 3-4 months to make the fixes, it's much more likely it was such a low priority to them they finally finished once they had some free time to spend on it. I could only hope getting a stable release on the iPad is a bigger priority but also think that they can be bottom line driven enough that it isn't nearly the priority of their other console/PC games (were there enough sales for it to be worth their time?).
Old 05-03-2010, 09:33 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
After the crash I get back to the last round before it crashed!

I have rebooted my iPad. My system language is German.

Maybe I have more luck than other users ... so I can understand people who think it is better to wait until an update is out.

I think is would be a good idea to write an e-Mail to the developer and ask how long the update will take ...

Greetings,
Sascha
Actually, hmm, so they launched with German language support? I think it was in fact the localizations that took them so long to get to in the initial iPhone version and if that is now in place from the beginning maybe they will be able to address things much quicker. I will try sending an email to the developer but, sadly, when dealing with a big company like 2K I won't be surprised if they blow me off entirely or, if they do reply, it will be a very generic "We're working on an update..." with not even the slightest hint of when they think they might be able to submit it.