Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Other > Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 06-28-2010, 05:41 PM
DGH94 DGH94 is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Next to the Maiden
Posts: 1,969
Default

And after looking at the first one, I made a rookie mistake there.
It takes pipe A, running alone, 18 hours to fill the tank. It takes both pipes, running together, 9.9 hours to fill the tank. How long does it take pipe B, running alone, to fill the tank?
-----
A DATA:
time = 18 hrs/job ; rate = 1/18 jobs/hr
--------------------------------------------
A/B DATA:
time = 9.9 hrs/job ; rate = 1/9.9 job/hr
--------------------------------------------
B DATA:
time = x hrs/job ; rate = 1/x job/hr
----------------------------------------
Equation:
rate + rate = together rate
1/18 + 1/x = 1/9.9
---
9.9x + 9.9*18 = 18x
8.1x = 9.9*18
x = 22 hrs (time required by the B pipe to fill the tank)

Give me some slack, schools out. xD
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-28-2010, 05:44 PM
Random_Guy Random_Guy is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 4, OS 4.x
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Australia, mate!
Posts: 8,458
Default

I'm too good-looking to know these stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-28-2010, 07:04 PM
Kamazar Kamazar is offline
Senior Member
iPod Touch (3rd Gen)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,522
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGH94 View Post
And after looking at the first one, I made a rookie mistake there.
It takes pipe A, running alone, 18 hours to fill the tank. It takes both pipes, running together, 9.9 hours to fill the tank. How long does it take pipe B, running alone, to fill the tank?
-----
A DATA:
time = 18 hrs/job ; rate = 1/18 jobs/hr
--------------------------------------------
A/B DATA:
time = 9.9 hrs/job ; rate = 1/9.9 job/hr
--------------------------------------------
B DATA:
time = x hrs/job ; rate = 1/x job/hr
----------------------------------------
Equation:
rate + rate = together rate
1/18 + 1/x = 1/9.9
---
9.9x + 9.9*18 = 18x
8.1x = 9.9*18
x = 22 hrs (time required by the B pipe to fill the tank)

Give me some slack, schools out. xD
Thanks, DGH. This clears it up. I eventually found the first one out on my own. Simple proportion
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-28-2010, 07:42 PM
The Bat Outta Hell's Avatar
The Bat Outta Hell The Bat Outta Hell is offline
Moderator
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Washington
Posts: 9,127
Default

So thaaaat's why I failed math.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-28-2010, 08:09 PM
DGH94 DGH94 is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Next to the Maiden
Posts: 1,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamazar View Post
Thanks, DGH. This clears it up. I eventually found the first one out on my own. Simple proportion
Np. I took Alg2AP this year and got an A, so I SHOULD know this. xD
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-29-2010, 07:53 PM
Random_Guy Random_Guy is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 4, OS 4.x
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Australia, mate!
Posts: 8,458
Default

How do I find the acute angle between y=2x and y=-2x?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-29-2010, 08:29 PM
Electric_Shaman Electric_Shaman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,402
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random_Guy View Post
How do I find the acute angle between y=2x and y=-2x?
Well you'd have to look for it I guess. When was the last time you saw it? And you've checked it's not in any of your pockets right?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-29-2010, 08:46 PM
DGH94 DGH94 is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Next to the Maiden
Posts: 1,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random_Guy View Post
How do I find the acute angle between y=2x and y=-2x?
If you're serious, what you want to do is draw a third line to make a right triangle. It should be the reciprocal of one of the lines if I remember correctly. Then find the distance of two of the sides of the triangle, and then use trig to find the angle needed.
BUT, the two equations you gave me don't form an acute angle, they form an angle of 120 degrees, an obtuse angle. So technically you're question is obsolete or I'm a complete retard.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-29-2010, 08:50 PM
wootbean wootbean is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 4, OS 4.x
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: the next whiskey bar
Posts: 5,556
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGH94 View Post
If you're serious, what you want to do is draw a third line to make a right triangle. It should be the reciprocal of one of the lines if I remember correctly. Then find the distance of two of the sides of the triangle, and then use trig to find the angle needed.
BUT, the two equations you gave me don't form an acute angle, they form an angle of 120 degrees, an obtuse angle. So technically you're question is obsolete or I'm a complete retard.
then there's also an angle of 60deg
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-30-2010, 05:35 PM
Random_Guy Random_Guy is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 4, OS 4.x
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Australia, mate!
Posts: 8,458
Default

Nvm.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent