Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 08-24-2010, 11:45 AM
iPad 2, OS 4.x

Default Best Match 3 app for the iPad?

I really like Babo Crash HD. I also love Call of Atlantis, but it looks pretty fuzzy on my iPad. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

TIA!
Old 08-24-2010, 01:16 PM

Smiles HD maybe??
Old 08-24-2010, 01:52 PM
iPad, OS 3.x

Yes Call of Atlantis is great but there's no ipad version. Baboo Crash HD is very fun but I stop be attracted a bit fast, a bit too much garbage that get me lost. Also one failure of the game is to not succeed make you feel you plays series of really different levels, each is too similar to the previous, despite they gradually change.

For me the best match 3 game I know that you can play on iPad is Puzzle Quest, people that think there's a lot of random just haven't understand/found all the tactics you can use and classes really play differently. Alas it looks very very blurry on ipad but it is good enough to enjoy play it anyway.

Super Juicy HD is also a good original match 3 game that mixes tap reflex with match 3. I don't feel it as good than Puzzle Quest and Call of Atlantis but it's a good game.

There's also DreamBalls HD it's a sophisticated match 3 game but for me one game last too long, it takes a long time before you start feel it becomes challenging. I'm not sure of this one yet. Instead there's perhaps SteamBalls HD which also has a lite version unlike DreamBalls. Quote that among those I quote it's the only one not having any mode with levels designed, it focus more on making high score and I tend not like this gaming approach.

I have a last suggestion for you, to try Tesserae HD, it's not a match 3 game but it's a sort of puzzle in a same large familly. There's only 6 boards but each board has three levels of difficulty involving a sum of 18 different setup types and the initial position of each has random. Really a great puzzle game for me better than Call of Atlantis but it can't beat Puzzle Quest.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:03 PM
iPad 2, OS 4.x

Default @Qordobo

Thanks for your reply! I do have Puzzle Quest, and have played it through twice. I also have Smiles HD, and enjoy it. I'll have to check out Tesserae HD.

I appreciate the time you took to reply!

Anybody else?
Old 08-24-2010, 02:05 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

My favourites are

Azkend HD
10 Talisman
7 Wonders
Old 08-24-2010, 02:12 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Send a message via AIM to SkyMuffin Send a message via Yahoo to SkyMuffin

wait for Puzzle Quest 2. It's a lot better balanced and more interesting than the first game.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:15 PM

I *really* enjoy Piyo Blocks 2. Because of the large screen, you have a lot more going on then the average Bejewelled clone. Also, it has some great powerups, several different game modes and decent on-device multiplayer.

Great production values overall. Highly recommended!

http://itunes.apple.com/nl/app/piyo-blocks-2-hd/id364356512?mt=8
Old 08-24-2010, 02:44 PM
iPad, OS 3.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyMuffin View Post
wait for Puzzle Quest 2. It's a lot better balanced and more interesting than the first game.
I suppose that by better balanced you mean it let you feel it has less random? Because I don't see much unballance in the first. The 2 is more interesting? I didn't expect it because when reading the short introductions to the 2 it seems plenty features has disappeared. Your quote is appealing and I'm not sure I'll have the patience to wait and will pick the PC or DS version.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:01 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Send a message via AIM to SkyMuffin Send a message via Yahoo to SkyMuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qordobo View Post
I suppose that by better balanced you mean it let you feel it has less random? Because I don't see much unballance in the first. The 2 is more interesting? I didn't expect it because when reading the short introductions to the 2 it seems plenty features has disappeared. Your quote is appealing and I'm not sure I'll have the patience to wait and will pick the PC or DS version.
In the first one, there were a lot of problems with the random generator creating tons of chains/heroic efforts...so sometimes you could a ton of HP in one turn. It happened a lot later in the game. There are a lot of forum threads on the internet about it. It wasn't the AI cheating, it was just a bad generator.

PQ2 isn't about exploring a big world map like the original, but it's about exploring a large dungeon with your hero, while fighting monsters along the way. There's no citadel/mounts/conquering cities anymore, but the puzzles are more varied. There are different match-3 games for picking locks, finding treasure, bashing down doors, learning spells, etc., so it's not always playing the same game over and over. I think it's a lot more fun and it feels less like grinding.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:02 PM
iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by epedemix View Post
Smiles HD maybe??
Smiles HD definitely gets my vote.