Support our Sponsors:

Old 11-01-2010, 03:24 PM

Default The 7th Guest!

Ohmygod ohmygod... I remember playing this game back when I was a little kid, late at night on our first PC with a CD-ROM player (it's the reason I insisted my parents get one with a CD-ROM player in fact.) I even got a new video card at the flea market in order to play it better (to get more video memory.)

Trilobyte games suddenly got active on their Facebook page hinting that they were coming back! First with a 7th Guest iPhone/iPad app! I mentioned it on twitter and they started talking to me on there too! Beyond excited!

http://twitter.com/trilobytegames
Old 11-01-2010, 03:31 PM
iPhone 3GS, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidLeblond View Post
Ohmygod ohmygod... I remember playing this game back when I was a little kid, late at night on our first PC with a CD-ROM player (it's the reason I insisted my parents get one with a CD-ROM player in fact.) I even got a new video card at the flea market in order to play it better (to get more video memory.)

Trilobyte games suddenly got active on their Facebook page hinting that they were coming back! First with a 7th Guest iPhone/iPad app! I mentioned it on twitter and they started talking to me on there too! Beyond excited!

http://twitter.com/trilobytegames
Holy gibbering ****!

My god, this is the best news I've heard in years. Not only that, they're planning for the 11th Hour as well (which TBH sucked, but I still have really fond memories of it), as well as the possibility of revisiting 7th Guest III: The Collector if 7th Guest and 11th Hour sell well.

Man... I am so psyched for this. They're saying holiday season as well, so we might be seeing this in just a bit over a month. This is awesome.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
Holy gibbering ****!

My god, this is the best news I've heard in years. Not only that, they're planning for the 11th Hour as well (which TBH sucked, but I still have really fond memories of it), as well as the possibility of revisiting 7th Guest III: The Collector if 7th Guest and 11th Hour sell well.

Man... I am so psyched for this. They're saying holiday season as well, so we might be seeing this in just a bit over a month. This is awesome.
I agree, 11th Hour didn't hold a candle to 7th Guest. But I'll still get it to support them! The puzzles were still nice, if I remember correctly.

It'll be nice playing it without having to play the "what devices do I have to shift to High Memory" game first.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:44 PM
iPhone 3GS, OS 4.x

Quote:
I agree, 11th Hour didn't hold a candle to 7th Guest. But I'll still get it to support them! The puzzles were still nice, if I remember correctly.

It'll be nice playing it without having to play the "what devices do I have to shift to High Memory" game first.
Yeah, no doubt. I was actually recently fiddling around with trying to play 7th Guest on the iPhone through iDos, which brought back those old memories nice and clearly.

And yeah, the FMV in 11th Hour sucked, the fetch quests were incredibly annoying, but the puzzles were still pretty fun, and walking around the mansion still looked awesome.

I just really love the music/atmosphere from both of those games (even if the actual "game" in the 2nd one wasn't great). It'll be great to be able to revisit them whenever I want on my phone. I really hope they do well enough to give Trilobyte the chance to make "The Collector" as well. I'd love to see the 7th Guest story continue.

Man oh man. Honestly, this is an announcement I've been waiting for/hoping for ever since I started gaming on iDevices.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:03 PM

They just released this Facebook teaser:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-7t...app_4949752878
Old 11-01-2010, 04:13 PM
iPhone 3GS, OS 4.x

I'll be watching with baited breath to see how this turns out.

A couple of things I'm concerned about, I remember reading in an interview with Rob or Graeme (quite some time ago mind you) when the topic of discussion was an HD remake of the 7th Guest. In that discussion I remember one of them stating that the original filmed/FMV elements had been lost ages ago.. I wonder if that means they'll be re-doing everything or (hope not) replacing the FMV ghosts with CGI.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll be able to do something with the assets they do have to keep the iPhone port true to the original.

We shall see though.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
I'll be watching with baited breath to see how this turns out.

A couple of things I'm concerned about, I remember reading in an interview with Rob or Graeme (quite some time ago mind you) when the topic of discussion was an HD remake of the 7th Guest. In that discussion I remember one of them stating that the original filmed/FMV elements had been lost ages ago.. I wonder if that means they'll be re-doing everything or (hope not) replacing the FMV ghosts with CGI.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll be able to do something with the assets they do have to keep the iPhone port true to the original.

We shall see though.
Good question. I asked their twitter guy, not sure if he'd be allowed to comment or not. My guess is they used the game assets from the original though. They wrote the engine twice (one DOS and one Windows Direct X based) so writing it a third time wouldn't be a stretch. And certainly wouldn't break the budget (which I'm guessing is next to 0.)

EDIT: Doh, of course the engine also existed for whatever other platforms it was on. CD-I anyone?

Last edited by DavidLeblond; 11-01-2010 at 05:15 PM..
Old 11-01-2010, 05:15 PM
iPhone 3GS, OS 4.x

Quote:
Good question. I asked their twitter guy, not sure if he'd be allowed to comment or not. My guess is they used the game assets from the original though. They wrote the engine twice (one DOS and one Windows Direct X based) so writing it a third time wouldn't be a stretch. And certainly wouldn't break the budget (which I'm guessing is next to 0.)
Actually, I asked him too, and the results were positive.

They posted this:

"Pretty much the whole enchilada, with some code optimization here and there to work better with the touchscreen interface."

Sounding better by the minute. They certainly are communicative.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:19 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Holy shit i just jizzed in my pants
Old 11-01-2010, 05:28 PM
TouchArcade Janitor
iPhone (Original), iOS 1.x

The game is completely awesome and playable in iDOS... So a iOS-native enhanced port can only be more awesome.