App description: For a limited time only - 80% off Ash to celebrate the Ash II: Shadows - Chapter 2 Update!
Check out Ash II: Shadows in the App Store today!

Featured as one of Apple's "Great RPGs!"
RPGFan's Runner-Up iOS & Indie RPG of 2010!

Designed exclusively for the iPhone, Ash is a classic turn-based RPG, featuring an all-new, intuitive touch-based interface, a massive, fully-realized world with lush visuals, and a wonderfully compelling story.

Ash tells the story of two mercenaries on the fringes of the Empire of Aghaus, a once-great kingdom now fallen into ruin after the death of its king five years prior. When a routine contract takes an unexpected turn, the two men are gradually embroiled in a conflict that consumes the entire continentand brings to light the mercenaries mysterious pasts.

IGN: "With great writing, clean 16-bit art, and a swift-moving battle system, Ash succeeds."

Wired: "This traditional RPG offers a far deeper experience than most iPhone/iPad games."

Macworld Australia: "Ash is nothing short of remarkable."

SlideToPlay: "Ash has a stand-out story and lots of old-school charm."

TUAW: "Ash will hit you right in the nostalgia bone."

TouchArcade: "Ash delivers an experience that shouldn't be missed by RPG fans."

PlatformNation: "This is the best iPhone game I have played, and easily in the top 5 iPhone games available."

Gizmodo: "Considerable love has been put into this $5 portable tribute to classic gaming."

These are strange days for Aghaus. By order of the Magistrate, the Royal Guard is to assemble for deployment in two days time. It has been years since I last left the capital, and further still that I can remember such a command being issued! But what need is there for a Royal Guard, when no King sits upon the throne? Though my oath binds me to his service, the Magistrate is not my liege. He rules in the absence of a rightful heir.

My men await their orders; they too are uneasy. It is for their sake that I stay my tongue, and place my faith in the Almighty that my fears are unfounded.

Tomorrow, we make for the East.

Captain Creval of the Royal Guard, in the 895th year of the Aghausian Empire

Vovin's comments:

Bought, bought and BOUGHT!
Yepp, I TOFFTed, we really need more of this stuff like CGS and so on and "exclusive" is even better.
Btw., impressions in 9-10 hours, 'cause I can't play right now (I'm in the line of duty).
Oh, and I like the icon.
11-10-2010, 08:18 AM
Amazing

Amazing soundtrack, great writing! I am so happy I jumped this. I just wish there was a virtual pad, having to poke different places on my screen distracts.

Last edited by Leegames; 11-10-2010 at 08:18 AM. Reason: *poke
11-10-2010, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegames View Post
Amazing soundtrack, great writing! I am so happy I jumped this. I just wish there was a virtual pad, having to poke different places on my screen distracts.
We're really glad you all like the game! It's interesting to get this feedback on the lack of a d-pad; we actually put a lot of thought into the control scheme, and thought that we'd done something better than a d-pad -- from our perspective it obscured less of the screen, and was just a more intuitive way to interact with a touch device.

It sounds like opinions in this regard are mixed, though, so in the future we'll definitely include the option to use a simulated d-pad. Hopefully everyone likes the game as much as you all seem to, so we have the chance to make Ash 2. With a d-pad.

Thanks again for all the feedback; we really appreciate the praise, and will take to heart the constructive criticism.

Tyler

11-10-2010, 08:29 AM
yeah i recomment in the comming update a virtual dpad
11-10-2010, 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by emothewaif View Post
We're really glad you all like the game! It's interesting to get this feedback on the lack of a d-pad; we actually put a lot of thought into the control scheme, and thought that we'd done something better than a d-pad -- from our perspective it obscured less of the screen, and was just a more intuitive way to interact with a touch device.

It sounds like opinions in this regard are mixed, though, so in the future we'll definitely include the option to use a simulated d-pad. Hopefully everyone likes the game as much as you all seem to, so we have the chance to make Ash 2. With a d-pad.

Thanks again for all the feedback; we really appreciate the praise, and will take to heart the constructive criticism.

Tyler

Take 10 gamers and you'll have 10 different opinions about game controls.
The controls are working fine for me (just placing my thumbs in the upper right and lower left corner) but maybe an invisible d-pad like in Sword Of Fargoal would work fine, too.

Hi, you seemed to be lost on the Internets.
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.
11-10-2010, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vovin View Post
Take 10 gamers and you'll have 10 different opinions about game controls.
The controls are working fine for me (just placing my thumbs in the upper right and lower left corner) but maybe an invisible d-pad like in Sword Of Fargoal would work fine, too.
Agreed completely. We actually have had similarly varied feedback re: balancing; I think there are just some issues that are very much a matter of personal taste.

Personally I still prefer the way we implemented the controls in Ash over a real d-pad -- and, for better or worse, we won't be releasing a d-pad option for Ash any time soon. For Ash 2, though, some of the guys on our team have suggested having an option to use the original Ash control scheme or a d-pad, and I think, given the varied opinions, an option like that would be wise.
11-10-2010, 09:37 AM
Quote:
Agreed completely. We actually have had similarly varied feedback re: balancing; I think there are just some issues that are very much a matter of personal taste.

Personally I still prefer the way we implemented the controls in Ash over a real d-pad -- and, for better or worse, we won't be releasing a d-pad option for Ash any time soon. For Ash 2, though, some of the guys on our team have suggested having an option to use the original Ash control scheme or a d-pad, and I think, given the varied opinions, an option like that would be wise.

Just wait until the real retro gamers are showing up and state that they never had to tap the TV to move around in games...
Control scheme reminds me heavily of 100 Rogues, very similar.

BTW, is there a penalty for taking everything that's not nailed down in Ash, including searching people's houses and chests?

This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.
11-10-2010, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vovin View Post
BTW, is there a penalty for taking everything that's not nailed down in Ash, including searching people's houses and chests?
Nope. No penalty at all. Pilfer away!
11-10-2010, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Nope. No penalty at all. Pilfer away!

Good to hear! I also have to admit that I am really interested to get my hands on that merchant chicks chest, but I guess that's out of question.

11-10-2010, 09:56 AM
I don`t want to post any spoilers so I`ll be vague with my question, but I encountered the first multiple choice question in the game. I`m wondering what kind of effect this has in the game world. I don`t want to miss out on anything important so just wondering
11-10-2010, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gankoba View Post
I don`t want to post any spoilers so I`ll be vague with my question, but I encountered the first multiple choice question in the game. I`m wondering what kind of effect this has in the game world. I don`t want to miss out on anything important so just wondering
Gankoba, check your PMs.