★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
11-10-2010, 08:18 AM
#91
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Denmark
Posts: 921
Amazing

Amazing soundtrack, great writing! I am so happy I jumped this. I just wish there was a virtual pad, having to poke different places on my screen distracts.

Last edited by Leegames; 11-10-2010 at 08:18 AM. Reason: *poke
11-10-2010, 08:26 AM
#92
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegames View Post
Amazing soundtrack, great writing! I am so happy I jumped this. I just wish there was a virtual pad, having to poke different places on my screen distracts.
We're really glad you all like the game! It's interesting to get this feedback on the lack of a d-pad; we actually put a lot of thought into the control scheme, and thought that we'd done something better than a d-pad -- from our perspective it obscured less of the screen, and was just a more intuitive way to interact with a touch device.

It sounds like opinions in this regard are mixed, though, so in the future we'll definitely include the option to use a simulated d-pad. Hopefully everyone likes the game as much as you all seem to, so we have the chance to make Ash 2. With a d-pad.

Thanks again for all the feedback; we really appreciate the praise, and will take to heart the constructive criticism.

Tyler

11-10-2010, 08:29 AM
#93
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 979
yeah i recomment in the comming update a virtual dpad
11-10-2010, 08:31 AM
#94
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 8,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by emothewaif View Post
We're really glad you all like the game! It's interesting to get this feedback on the lack of a d-pad; we actually put a lot of thought into the control scheme, and thought that we'd done something better than a d-pad -- from our perspective it obscured less of the screen, and was just a more intuitive way to interact with a touch device.

It sounds like opinions in this regard are mixed, though, so in the future we'll definitely include the option to use a simulated d-pad. Hopefully everyone likes the game as much as you all seem to, so we have the chance to make Ash 2. With a d-pad.

Thanks again for all the feedback; we really appreciate the praise, and will take to heart the constructive criticism.

Tyler

Take 10 gamers and you'll have 10 different opinions about game controls.
The controls are working fine for me (just placing my thumbs in the upper right and lower left corner) but maybe an invisible d-pad like in Sword Of Fargoal would work fine, too.

Hi, you seemed to be lost on the Internets.
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.
11-10-2010, 09:28 AM
#95
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vovin View Post
Take 10 gamers and you'll have 10 different opinions about game controls.
The controls are working fine for me (just placing my thumbs in the upper right and lower left corner) but maybe an invisible d-pad like in Sword Of Fargoal would work fine, too.
Agreed completely. We actually have had similarly varied feedback re: balancing; I think there are just some issues that are very much a matter of personal taste.

Personally I still prefer the way we implemented the controls in Ash over a real d-pad -- and, for better or worse, we won't be releasing a d-pad option for Ash any time soon. For Ash 2, though, some of the guys on our team have suggested having an option to use the original Ash control scheme or a d-pad, and I think, given the varied opinions, an option like that would be wise.
11-10-2010, 09:37 AM
#96
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 8,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by emothewaif View Post
Agreed completely. We actually have had similarly varied feedback re: balancing; I think there are just some issues that are very much a matter of personal taste.

Personally I still prefer the way we implemented the controls in Ash over a real d-pad -- and, for better or worse, we won't be releasing a d-pad option for Ash any time soon. For Ash 2, though, some of the guys on our team have suggested having an option to use the original Ash control scheme or a d-pad, and I think, given the varied opinions, an option like that would be wise.

Just wait until the real retro gamers are showing up and state that they never had to tap the TV to move around in games...
Control scheme reminds me heavily of 100 Rogues, very similar.

BTW, is there a penalty for taking everything that's not nailed down in Ash, including searching people's houses and chests?

Hi, you seemed to be lost on the Internets.
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.
11-10-2010, 09:39 AM
#97
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vovin View Post
BTW, is there a penalty for taking everything that's not nailed down in Ash, including searching people's houses and chests?
Nope. No penalty at all. Pilfer away!
11-10-2010, 09:48 AM
#98
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 8,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by emothewaif View Post
Nope. No penalty at all. Pilfer away!

Good to hear! I also have to admit that I am really interested to get my hands on that merchant chicks chest, but I guess that's out of question.

Hi, you seemed to be lost on the Internets.
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.
11-10-2010, 09:56 AM
#99
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 15
I don`t want to post any spoilers so I`ll be vague with my question, but I encountered the first multiple choice question in the game. I`m wondering what kind of effect this has in the game world. I don`t want to miss out on anything important so just wondering
11-10-2010, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gankoba View Post
I don`t want to post any spoilers so I`ll be vague with my question, but I encountered the first multiple choice question in the game. I`m wondering what kind of effect this has in the game world. I don`t want to miss out on anything important so just wondering
Gankoba, check your PMs.