Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 12-19-2010, 05:54 PM

Default Shadow's Call - Point-and-Click Adventure

Old 12-19-2010, 08:59 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Send a message via Skype™ to dyscode

Where did this com from? The art looks great. Story reminds me of
the Blackwell series from Wadjet Eye Games. Unfortunately the IMBA homepage does not hold any more information.

thinking about getting this.

I love `grown up`adventures.

Last edited by dyscode; 12-19-2010 at 09:02 PM..
Old 12-19-2010, 09:47 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Default instapurchase.

This is a no-brainer, I'll take a chance on this - so very much in a "7th Guest / Broken Sword / Myst / Riven" mood lately. This thing appears to have gorgeous graphics and an intriguing description, and even if it kinda sucks it's just 1.99!

I'll post an impression or two in a bit, provided the game isn't so ASTOUNDINGLY GOOD it just sucks me in for a few hours. Which is kinda possible. Lost half a day almost instantly on "7th Guest".

Hope it's good!
Old 12-19-2010, 09:51 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Will buy as soon as I hear good impressions. I'm a sucker for a good adventure game.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:40 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Default um...

well, I've made it past the first two puzzles, and I must say I'm pleased with the purchase except for one small oversight (perhaps) of the designers: There appears to be no save game feature!! Maybe it's because I haven't gotten to a "checkpoint" of some kind, but not inluding a savegame if the app is interrupted is rather criminal for a point'n'click.

That said, I was impressed with the graphics and the voice acting - I wasn't expecting something quite this good from an indie. The storyline is a tad cheese-flavored and may be targeted at a slightly younger audience, but I still had a good time progressing until the realization that I couldn't save.
I like the animation method with the faces; it's unique indeed, I haven't seen anything quite like it. The only minor quibble I have with the game design itself is that it's not always clear what to do even when you know what must be done to solve a puzzle (for example, when scanning the living room with the EMF tool in the first puzzle, it's clear that you need to use the chalk, but no mention is made of technically *how* to make the chalk
leave a mark within the game... you strangely need to rapidly tap the EMF tool after having selected the chalk
from your inventory, which is backward from what I would've expected I needed to do).

Even in spite of the minor faults (and presuming the designer will implement an autosave from any location in an update), this game is well worth your attention if you dig on Broken Sword or 7th Guest. I am happy with the purchase and will see this one through to completion.

Last edited by Fujibayashi; 12-20-2010 at 12:42 AM.. Reason: bad grammar
Old 12-20-2010, 12:47 AM
Doctor of Game of the Week-ology
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Art looks nice. But, I'll wait for more impressions.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:52 PM

Lite Version:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/shadows-call-lite/id411010975?mt=8
Old 12-22-2010, 01:30 AM

Default Answering Questions

Hey guys,

My name is Thomas, and I wrote the script for this game. I had no idea this was posted up here, but I'm glad it was. Thanks to whomever did so, and thanks to all of you who have played it, will play it, or are curious about it.

I'll be glad to step in to answer whatever questions you guys have. The developers are hard at work fixing that "save" bug, so a fix should be up soon.

So, ask away! I'll answer any question I can (bearing in mind I'm no programmer or tech expert... ), field any complaints (or praise? ) thrown our way!

-Thomas
Old 12-22-2010, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujibayashi View Post
well, I've made it past the first two puzzles, and I must say I'm pleased with the purchase except for one small oversight (perhaps) of the designers: There appears to be no save game feature!! Maybe it's because I haven't gotten to a "checkpoint" of some kind, but not inluding a savegame if the app is interrupted is rather criminal for a point'n'click.

That said, I was impressed with the graphics and the voice acting - I wasn't expecting something quite this good from an indie. The storyline is a tad cheese-flavored and may be targeted at a slightly younger audience, but I still had a good time progressing until the realization that I couldn't save.
I like the animation method with the faces; it's unique indeed, I haven't seen anything quite like it. The only minor quibble I have with the game design itself is that it's not always clear what to do even when you know what must be done to solve a puzzle (for example, when scanning the living room with the EMF tool in the first puzzle, it's clear that you need to use the chalk, but no mention is made of technically *how* to make the chalk
leave a mark within the game... you strangely need to rapidly tap the EMF tool after having selected the chalk
from your inventory, which is backward from what I would've expected I needed to do).

Even in spite of the minor faults (and presuming the designer will implement an autosave from any location in an update), this game is well worth your attention if you dig on Broken Sword or 7th Guest. I am happy with the purchase and will see this one through to completion.
Hi Fujibayashi! And thanks for playing our game!

(In case you missed my post, I wrote the script for this game)

1. To address your biggest point, yes we are aware that the game somehow "shipped" without a working save feature. Our programmers are hard at work on it, and it should be fixed via an update soon.

2. I will let the programmers know about the issue with the chalk puzzle.

3. While it's not *necessarily* directed at younger audiences, we wanted to be able to appeal to a wide age range. The initial concept was a great deal darker and more serious, but that was scratched at an early point in the dev cycle.

4. Thanks for the compliments about the graphics and voice acting! We were adamant about putting forth the best product we could with the best production values we could afford, and implementing voice acting was one of the ways to ensure that. We used some awesome local (Canadian) voice talent.

Again, thanks for the kind words. All of us involved in the game are big fans of the point and click adventure genre, especially with having grown up playing Broken Sword, King's Quest, Monkey Island, and The Longest Journey myself.

-Thomas
Old 12-22-2010, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyscode View Post
Where did this com from? The art looks great. Story reminds me of
the Blackwell series from Wadjet Eye Games. Unfortunately the IMBA homepage does not hold any more information.

thinking about getting this.

I love `grown up`adventures.
Hi!

Thanks for your interest!

I too love "grown up" adventures, and wanted to do my best to channel that love into the script for this game. I hope it shines through!

I never played the Blackwell series, but I've always been a fan of modern dark urban fantasy, so Arielle's adventures arose out of hundreds of hours of consuming media of all sorts from that genre.

The IMBA homepage will be updated soon, I promise you that. The Website team is working their behinds off, but the past week or so leading up to release has been a blur.

Stay tuned!

-Thomas