Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Omega-F, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    #1 Omega-F, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
    [​IMG]

[Note: This thread will be updated constantly as new information comes in. It will have information more organized than the past 3DS thread.]

Nintendo 3DS
    Launch Date: March 27th, 2011
    Colors Available: Aqua Blue, Cosmo Black
    Price: $249.99

INCLUDED IN THE BOX

• Nintendo 3DS system
    • Nintendo 3DS charging cradle
    • Nintendo 3DS AC adapter
    • Nintendo 3DS stylus
    • SD Memory Card (2GB)
    • AR Card(s) (view the cards using the outer cameras to play supported AR games)
    • Quick-Start Guide
    • Operations Manual (including warranty)

SYSTEM FEATURES

Characteristic Features:
    • 3D screen, enabling 3D view without the need for special glasses and the ability to adjust
    or turn off 3D effect with the 3D Depth Slider.
    • Stereo cameras that enable users to take 3D photos that can be viewed instantly on the 3D
    screen.
    • New input interfaces including the Circle Pad, motion sensor, gyro sensor
    • SpotPass, a feature that lets Nintendo 3DS detect wireless hotspots or wireless LAN access
    points and obtain information, game data, free software, videos and so on for players even
    when the system is in sleep mode.*
    • StreetPass, a feature that lets Nintendo 3DS exchange data automatically with other
    Nintendo 3DS systems within range, even in sleep mode once this feature is activated by
    the user. Data for multiple games can be exchanged simultaneously.
    • Convenient features that users can access without stopping game play such as the HOME
    menu, Internet Brower, Notifications, etc.
    • Plenty of built-in software such as the Nintendo 3DS Camera, Nintendo 3DS Sound, Mii
    Maker, StreetPass, Mii Plaza, AR Games, Activity Log, Face Raiders, etc.
    • Nintendo eShop where users can view trailers, software rankings and purchase software.
    • System Transfer which enable users to transfer already purchased software from one
    Nintendo 3DS system to another. DSiWare purchased for the Nintendo DSi or the Nintendo
    DSi XL can also be transferred into a Nintendo 3DS system.**
    • Compatibility functions where both new software designed for Nintendo 3DS and most
    software for the Nintendo DS family of systems can be played.
    • Parental Controls which enable parents to restrict game

*Some of these features may not be available at launch
    **There is a limit to how many times transfers can be made. Some software may not be transferred.
    ***Additional features added through system updates may also be subject to Parental Controls.
    Some of these features such as the Internet browser, Nintendo eShop, system transfer and the ability
    to download software and videos using SpotPass will be available after system updates are performed

LAUNCH GAMES:

No concrete details, but according to Nintendo, there will be 30+ games out by the end of the launch window (by June). Expect the launch to be similar to the Japanese one, with games like Nintendogs, Super Street Fighter IV: 3RD Edition, Dead or Alive Dimensions, Resident Evil Mercenaries, etc. with Kid Icarus Uprising, Zelda Ocarina of Time, Star Fox, etc. following soon after.

2. Universal friend codes! About time... -_-

Source

3. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Agreed ^.^

4. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    Finally only one code per system. This plus SSFIV3D will be godly.

5. Drexra

Drexra Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Student
    Colorado
    Paper Mario, Resident Evil, Metal Gear, Star Fox, Ocarina of time....my five justifications!

6. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Same here dude. I think this system is going to be BEAST!

7. Drexra

Drexra Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Student
    Colorado
    The only way it could possibly get better in my eyes would be a Tales of Symphonia port. Hopefully it lives up to expectations! Because I know mine are high!

8. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Not gettin' one, that's for sure.

9. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    Well, there's a version of Tales of the Abyss coming for it ;)

10. Drexra

Drexra Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Student
    Colorado
    #10 Drexra, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
    You're not pulling my leg right? Because that in it self (Or any Tales of game) is reason enough for me to buy it just for that game. Its still why I actually own a PSP >.>

Edit: Tales of the Abyss hasn't been confirmed for localization, and the system is region locked =/

11. Electric_Shaman

Electric_Shaman Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    It's great, but no friend codes at all would be better

12. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    The coins stuff was also confirmed. Basically you carry your 3DS around with you, and the pedometer in it will make you earn fictional coins that you can use to spend unlocking features in games. Pretty cool, and a nice incentive to have the machine with you.

13. Electric_Shaman

Electric_Shaman Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Also a nice incentive to sit on the couch watching TV, getting my right hand even stronger :rolleyes:

14. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    HMV and Game ( the two biggest video game retailers here in the UK) have just listed the 3DS as £229.99!!! The cheapest I've seen is Play.com who are listing it as £219.99!

Think I'm going into Game later and canceling my pre-order. Don't get me wrong, I do want one, but I'm not paying £230 for the base machine. I can only hope that closer to the date, the retailers will start some kind of price war... I hope.

15. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    [​IMG]

This is my killer-app. Looks so good.

16. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    #16 GDSage, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011

Looks like the 3DS will be the perfect device for point and click adventures, choose your own adventures, and so on. Confirmed is an in-game notepad app that is part of the backgrounds OS.

In all, the background OS will have these functions, which pause the game you're playing when in use:

- Notepad app (write / squiggle down anything)
    - Opera Web Browser (check up on the web, gamefaqs guides)
    - Friend List (check up on friend status, see who is playing online and even join them)
    - Street / Spot Pass notifier (see if there's any new data uploaded to your system as you were out and about)

Also of note, the way the menu system is setup is also confirgurable. You can have a single line of apps, dual lines and a whole page.

17. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    3DS software trailer

18. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Nintendo's eShop (their new online promotion / sales store) is confirmed to be cash-based, doing away with Nintendo points.

19. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I can't wait for my 3DS to join my NDS, PSP, PSP Go, and various Android devices in my handheld graveyard.

20. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA