Other 4 4.40%
None 2 2.20%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-02-2011, 11:21 AM
iPad, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveios View Post
Now that was truely funny Lol!!
Not really. The thread is simply public evidence of what I've been hearing from customers. Take it for what you will. But what I'm seeing is that customers are more worried about GC than OF at this point.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:50 AM
iPod Touch (2nd Gen), OS 3.x

Game Centre. Openfeint is too bloated imho. Plus I like having my users having my games in the Game Centre app and being able to monitor all of their results and achievement from a single app.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:05 PM
Banned
iPhone 3GS, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewiirocks View Post
Not really. The thread is simply public evidence of what I've been hearing from customers. Take it for what you will. But what I'm seeing is that customers are more worried about GC than OF at this point.
Thank you again for yet another laugh. I hope Mr.Ugly doesnt come back to EPIC OWN you again .My stomach cannot take such laughter. Seroiusly the people here do not represent the general gamers. General gamers have 40-50 games , do you think they track the score on all of them? No. Some member complain oh I want openfaint , then a day or 2 later they completely forget about it. Listen I been a lucker here for a while before I decided to become a member. I tell you a secret , at least 30% of members here complain about everything. They complain oh this feature is missing , oh that feature is missing. Oh the TA reviewer doesnt know what he is talking about. I seen them complain drasticaly graphics and especially price.OMG the price fights here have been EPIC to the point of ridiculous. One guy wanted Dead Space for $1.99 he claimed price was too high. If half the people here wanted social features trust me there will be threads here all day about it. Right now all people complain is about when are we getting console quality games.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:51 PM
iPad, OS 4.x

"Epic Own"? (raises eyebrow) I think you're missing something. I am a game author with very real customers with whom I communicate with. As in, speak to directly. And I make decisions about the game and its updates based on their general feedback.

This is not the two year old pissing contest you seem to think this is. This is business. As in, dollars and cents. If you would be so kind, please refrain from posting in the future. The adults are having a conversation.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:00 AM
iPhone 3GS, OS 4.x

Thank you for all the comments. I have decided to drop Openfeint and turn to GC in the future.

I think the biggest problem for me was something that Mr Ugly picked up on earlier in the thread. The white screen error appearing when you started the game. This just killed Arkinvade.

I had just released a major update, made it free for a day to encourage people to try it and go figure. This is the release of OF with the white screen bug. What do I get?

Loads of reviews. All 5* from the people who could run it, All 1* (and really slagging it off) from the people who got the white screen. Thanks OF!

Now when somebody grabs a game from the app store and tries to play it, if it does not work then they place the fault at the feet of the developer. So I get a load of bad reviews about this white screen and it is not even my fault. And those reviews stay and affect the sales of the game.

So a month of hard work down the drain and a failed game. How much of the blame can I apportion to OF? Not all, but it really did not help. NOT ONE BIT.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:25 AM

Lets think of the bigger picture...

Game Center lacks a hell of a lot of features that Openfeint has:

1. Blob data connected to high scores - used for ghost racing and such.
2. You can have only 25 leaderboards for a game - Openfeint has no such limit. What happens if you have more than 25 levels?
3. No promotion.

But the biggest thing is Game Center is tied to iOS, so what do you do when you want to convert to Android?

The best solution is to use Openfeint, and from within OF enable Game Center. This way it's easy to go over to Android and you have Game Center. And just hope you make a game that's limited to 25 leaderboards.

Also, to note you can bypass the OF dash and create your own UI from within the game. This way it looks like OF is not there but it is handling all your online needs.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:12 AM

at the end there is no need to fight about such things..

most people do not care.. thoose who care know what thoose service are more or less.. and prefere one or the other..

yes the open feint login is not very well designed.. but other parts are..

both services have their own positive and negative points and its up to every developer themself to offer what they want to their customers.. its their product and their right to choose.

at the end its not a big deal anyway.. check some of the most popular games compare their leaderboard size with their sales numbers and you see that tons of people don't even use leaderboards and achievements etc..

the ios platform is still and foremost a platform for casual gamers..

thats this page is more populated with core gamer is natural.. and therefore such features are more important to them.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:05 PM
iPad, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.Ugly View Post
thats this page is more populated with core gamer is natural.. and therefore such features are more important to them.
If I may be so bold, you're my new hero. You just correctly used "core" gamers (the marketing term) instead of "hardcore" gamers (a self-identified subset of the market). Something which very few people get right. Kudos!

Quote:
at the end there is no need to fight about such things..
I don't disagree. I think the bigger question is one of, "Which way should I lean?" If you need the extra stuff added by OF, then by all means use it. If you don't, then the question arises if you should use OF anyway or go pure GC?

The argument in favor of OF is obvious. "OF doesn't hurt anything, so why not use it? Plus you have additional marketing opportunities."

The argument against is multifaceted:
  • A potential source of bugs
  • More difficult to implement correctly (with the flip side that get GC without implementing a UI)
  • There may be a cost in terms of user confusion. Two logins, two scores, two interfaces. It gets even weirder because OF reports both the GC and OF scores side-by-side. If you configure the GC score formatting different from the OF formatting, the weirdness gets cranked up further.
  • OpenFeint releases new versions regularly which must be integrated, QAed, and tested. If they change the APIs (which they have done at least twice) then re-integration gets even harder. Any customizations you may have will have to be redone.

Authors will have to decide which way they lean in these situations. What their customers say will likely play a large part in their final decision. Mine are all in favor of eliminating OF, so that's the direction I'm going.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightworx View Post
This is the release of OF with the white screen bug. What do I get?

Loads of reviews. All 5* from the people who could run it, All 1* (and really slagging it off) from the people who got the white screen. Thanks OF!

Now when somebody grabs a game from the app store and tries to play it, if it does not work then they place the fault at the feet of the developer. So I get a load of bad reviews about this white screen and it is not even my fault. And those reviews stay and affect the sales of the game.

So a month of hard work down the drain and a failed game. How much of the blame can I apportion to OF? Not all, but it really did not help. NOT ONE BIT.
May I ask, which version of OF was that? So I may stay away from it as I've had a similar issue before.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:10 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x

Yup, OF can using more leaderboards, GC so little.
so, support OF.