iPad Dungeon Raid (by Fireflame Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by freedog, Nov 15, 2010.

1. fireflame

fireflame Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2010
    Hmm yeah, alternatively I've been wondering if maybe it might be a good idea to make Teleport a fixed ability that you start with and has a fixed cooldown, freeing up the 4th ability slot for something else...

2. nesio718

nesio718 Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2010
    getting paid....
    Sunny South FL!!
    If you do that, make the start off sky high. Like 50+....Depending on which mode of course.

3. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    LordGek, thanks for the explanation, I'm even more stoked for this update! I even see that this discussion made the front page of TA, thrilled that this gem is getting increased recognition and exposure.

4. kennfusion

kennfusion Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 2, 2008
    Brooklyn, New York
    Only 5 of my top 10 scores on Harder used Teleport, and my highest score did not have it. So I do not believe it is a must have skill. Of course I don't even have a top 100 all time score on harder, so I have no idea what skills they had for the top scores.

5. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    I died not long after this, at 102941 points and 1339 turns. I think I could have squeezed out some more points, but it gets increasingly hard just to survive. Someone named Scarlock has a recent score on Game Center of 146075 points and 2399 turns. I have a hard time seeing how this is possible, but maybe there's something I'm missing. What makes the game get hard is that I can generate enough swords to kill the specials, but it takes a whole screen full of swords and then I have to fight through the random drop that follows. Surviving 10 turns until Teleport recharges is not easy, and sometimes I get a Mage anyway.

I don't really see a better way to get through the late rounds. Maybe the Scarlock score is just forged. Ideas?

I will probably go back to trying to get a high score on Harder, the top score of 201251 points is totally out of reach under the present rules, but I believe the second score of 50426 is beatable if I get favorable skills early.

6. Sailor Jensen

Sailor Jensen Active Member

Dec 11, 2009
    #826 Sailor Jensen, Mar 15, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
    One addition I would love to se (not sure if anyone has mentioned it) is the ability to have 2 or 3 separate games you can load from. I love playing this games with my fiance, but only one of us can play a game till we die, so if one has a game going the other has to wait, or exit their game out.

We love the game and thanks for the upcoming up-date, I'm really excited :D

EDIT: after reading about unlocking characters and skills (which I LOVE) I change my ask to a plea. My fiance...well she loves to unlock things, so if we have only one persons save file I may very well wake up with most or everything unlocked.

7. deadclown

deadclown Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Haha! Sorry, that was me. My GC name is Scarlock.

And that game was my loooooong-running holdover from the version just prior to the leech cap.

I really don't like the idea of giving up in a game, but I just couldn't die. I was leeching up to 12k HP in a single attack. Kind of fun in a power-overwhelming kind of way. :)

Anyway, the score should probably be purged. It's meaningless, other than as a monument to stubbornness :D

8. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Aha. I forgot that even recent scores could be based on very old versions of the game.

Did it actually get hard enough that you did die, or did you just sort of give up? I am assuming that the strength of the skulls increases exponentially with turn count, but if there is no cap on the XP/UP/GP multiplier then your upgrades per turn can also grow exponentially, so in principle you could keep ahead of them forever. (Although your turns would start getting exponentially long, as you collect exponentially many upgrades in a single chain! So your score would only increase at a linear rate per hour of play, as your turns would start to take minutes and then days and then hours....)

9. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    In my long game on Normal, from the time I first needed Teleport until the game got so hard that I died, I really didn't score very many points. So perhaps I'm overestimating the impact of the skill on the game and you can do as well/better by scoring more with a more useful skill in the early game (like Skill Elixir) and just resigning yourself to the idea that you will die when the monsters get too tough, but the extra scoring during the time that you lived will make up for it.

10. deadclown

deadclown Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    I was able to stay ahead of the curve. Quite a bit ahead, actually. I had 9-10x UP+, XP+, and GP+ on my helmet alone! A long skull/sword match would net me between 7 and 8 levels. Heck, at once point, I had a three-turn Treasure Chamber chain that netted me 21 consecutive item shops!

So yes, in the end, I just let myself die.

Interestingly, the damage I was taking was extremely high by the end. My 4k HPs felt awfully meager. But 10k+ drains kinda helped! Plus, I was doing so much damage that most skull uniques would go down with only 4-6 swords.

11. hotspringfan

hotspringfan Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    I clearly know how to use youtube, and absolutely I will have a hard time to click one after another to find a appropriate one that I will get content. Whatever, already found one. :p

12. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Really? The first two results ("Dungeon Raid Gameplay" and "Dungeon Raid iPhone/iPod Gameplay - The Game Trail") both seem good to me. Maybe I didn't understand what you are looking for. Sorry.

13. smackfu

smackfu New Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Found an interesting bug. I got an upgrade that included a one time skill. When I picked it, that triggered another upgrade... that offered to decrease the cooldown on the skill I didn't really have!

14. fireflame

fireflame Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2010
    Do you mean you used a scroll of Enchant in the shop and then got offered a "quick" upgrade for one of your items?

15. smackfu

smackfu New Member

Mar 16, 2011
    I attached the screenshot, but now I see it wasn't a bug, just a coincidence. It happened to offer me trap as a Level Up skill, right after I picked Trap as part of an item upgrade where the item upgrade triggered the Level Up.

Attached Files:

16. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    That reminds me, I think there is another bug related to scrolls, if you take a scroll from the item shop then I think after the scroll goes off you get attacked by all monsters, including those that just arrived this turn. I think it's "forgetting" which monsters are newly arrived, when it triggers the scroll.

17. mlkaufman

mlkaufman Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Chicago
    This game is fantastic. I just purchased it yesterday, and I have spent close to ten hours playing it since then. To be fair, I was on a plane for about eight of those ten hours, but I never got the slightest bit bored.

I do have one small suggestion for the developer. Its kind of hard to see whats going on under your finger. Sometime you have to backtrack a fair amount because you can't see that you missed a match because you couldn't see exactly where you drawing. How about adding an option to allow an offset from where your finger touches and what is actually selected? If you wanted to get really fancy, you could have the line start where the person puts their finger down and then accelerate more quickly in the direction when they move their finger. Since you are drawing the connecting line, users will be able to see what is being connected.

What do you think?

18. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    I don't know about iPhone/iPod, but the game plays great now in 2x mode on iPad. Making it better is fine, just be sure that if you change the interface you test those changes so they don't have unintended consequences on iPad.

19. mlkaufman

mlkaufman Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Chicago

I agree. Please note that I asked this to be an "option" as I imagine some people may prefer the game as it is.

20. Wolfis

Wolfis New Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Props on the awesome game.

One problem I have with the game is if you hold down on a special monster to find out what it does the info box appears under your finger. I wish the info box appeared above the special monster.

Keep up the great work fireflame :)