Universal Storm in a Teacup (by Cobra Mobile Limited)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, May 18, 2011.

1. injuwarrior

injuwarrior Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    Short levels should never decide the quality of a platformer. League of evil's levels take between 7-30 seconds to beat, closer to 10 on almost all the levels. But the challenge combined with all the levels give you hours of gameplay.

2. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    I don't have the game yet, and am still debating on whether to purchase it or not, but I'm just wondering if you're sure about this. The reviewer on the front page of TA says it took 3 hours to complete and that the record for fastest completion time by anybody is 40 minutes. So is 20-30 minutes how long it actually took you, or just an estimate based on early levels?

3. Prozak

Prozak Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    This is no matter of difference of an opinion.. stating that this game is the best platformer ever is a crime against humanity. The game lacks about everything you can imagine.

+ The artwork can appeal to some extent.

- The levels are ridiculously short
    - Slow framerate (OK, can be solved)
    - Extremely boring enemies and maincharacter
    - The music gets annoying real fast. Pseudo kindergarten crap (it worked for cut the rope, not here)
    I can go on for a while but it's not worth it.

The game is average, at best.

4. injuwarrior

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    Sorry man but I have not beaten it, I don't even own it yet. Actually just tried it on a friends iphone (my touch is a few week in backorder so im ideviceless). But the reviews are all great and I loved the controls and level design. I would think it would give about three+ hours of gameplay going for full completion. If you are not a platformer I say only go for it if you have the money, if you are it is definitely a buy. Al those 40 min completions are exaggerated and for the gaming insane. Take your time, go for all the collectibles and the game is worth the price a few times over. Not the best platformer but a favorite of mine.

5. Prozak

Prozak Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    I swear you, this is the actual number. I counted it several times and trust me I am not a hardcore gamer whatsoever. I usually suck at games but this one took me within a hour to complete. OK, some levels require trial and error but even so, it's still extremely easy to beat. There is no challenge at all. At all I say

6. Prozak

Prozak Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    How do you guys get with three hours?? My god, you can fly through these levels in no time (not counting the collectibles in the levels, who cares about them anyway)

7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    It seems to me like you are missing the point of the game. Hint: it's not just getting to the end of the level.

8. injuwarrior

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    Collectibles are a part of gameplay. Everyone decides how they want to play and what is worth it. For me, an hour of quality platforming beats 500 levels of spotty controls and poor level design. This game has polish, ran great when I was playing it, and overall was a great experience. Its really closed minded to call a game out as bad due to what was lack of content for you. Just add that as a negative and look at each part of the game individually. For me with the collectibles, i see myself getting a few hours of gameplay, with level design nice enough I could even replay the game a few times.

9. injuwarrior

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    Exactly. get league of evil and fly through that. Even if you do you will die so much you will get more than enough gameplay. With some games, it is more about the collectibles, exploring levels, and appreciating the level design. Besides, a game like cut the rope could be completed in an hour or two if you fly through it (not getting 3 stars).

10. melvin2898

melvin2898 Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2011
    Hey guys! This game gets harder and harder adding more hazards to the mix. Some levels can be finished quickly while others will have you scratching your head. The artstyle is awesome and unique. You have to collect sugar cubes, a sticker or special item of sorts while playing the level. There's also survival levels.The game gives you a complete tally. My only problem with the game is that the movement arrows are a bit too small. I give this game a 5/5. Buy it now.

11. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Looks like you need to take some of what your name is. 40 mg to start and decrease to 20 mg in a week or 2. That will get a reasonable blood level and help to clear your brain.

I spent at least a couple of hours on it (Storm), and I'm only to level 27. If you are just getting to the finish line, I guess that is one way to go, but I'll bet you are a terrible companion on a road trip. The point is not just to get there, the point is how you get there, and what you see along the way.

Tell me your considered opinion of a great platformer on the iOS? There aren't many. And there are not many games that will ever come to the level of Super Mario on the NES or SNES, or Metroid, or Sonic. But the iOS is a very different animal.

Please post screen shots of your times - the only way to get a time recorded is to get all items, and not die- then I'll believe your 30 second runs, until then, you are just another naysayer, without much to contribute except vitriol.

12. Lorena

Lorena Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    #92 Lorena, May 22, 2011
    Last edited: May 22, 2011
    Game Impressions

The graphics are gorgeous, very elaborate and very detailed. The sounds are very good. The controls are simple and accurate. One of the best platform games.

Graphics 5/5
    Sounds 4/5
    Gameplay 5/5
    Replay value 4,5/5
    Overall 5/5

13. kaboom132

kaboom132 Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2010
    If it's so easy, then try to beat the levels with all sugar cubes + sticker without dying - that's how I can extend these types of games. So far, I'm at level 5 after about 15 minutes of playing, and have enjoyed every second, maybe because I'm challenging myself. If you just tried to sprint through the levels, then that's not very challenging.

14. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    I have to admit, I'm not a big fan of this game. I was expecting it to amaze me but the gameplay actually came off as boring.

Overall I give it a 3/5.

15. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    To each his own, I guess. Frankly, I find it hard to understand how anyone who cares about platformers would find this game boring. But whatever...

16. smes3817

smes3817 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    This game has quickly jumped up to be one of my favorite platformers. I'm having a blast playing through this :cool:

17. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    You're quickly becoming my new favourite troll. You still haven't told us what experiences or qualifications give you the edge over the opinions of other gamers and even developers. Judging by the egotism in your posts, you seem to know absolutely everything there is to know about games. It's amusing in a way, because your facts often don't add up half as well as you think they do.

18. Prozak

Prozak Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    go cry more

beeing so easily satisfied doesn't help the gaming progres on the iphone.

maybe 30 seconds was a lil too fast for some but it doesn't get more then a minute - each level. So that's still 40 minutes wich is pretty unacceptable in my book.

Cool for you bro you can play doodle jump games for 10hrs straight on, I prefer some more quality on my iphone. Therefore I kinda expect higher quallity games. Stating this game is the best platformer surpassing mario/sonic is a whole new level of trolling. It's like the troll is ugly, but his taste is way beyond that.

go figure

19. injuwarrior

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    ^Who here said it was better than mario. And sonic on the iphone was not great.

20. Prozak

Prozak Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    #100 Prozak, May 22, 2011
    Last edited: May 22, 2011
    That's pretty much the same statement