Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 08-11-2011, 10:37 AM
Developer
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalcasket View Post
Maybe ask IMNS to edit the first post with some info on the controls? They're flawless by the way...the joystick's totally unnecessary, IMO.
I suppose but that'd reach 1% of 1% of the players (if you know, we can unseat the champions of the App Store)

•••Spoiler:  *Positive thinking provides positive results*
Old 08-11-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalcasket View Post
the joystick's totally unnecessary, IMO.
Absolutely. Kill the joystick. It just complicates things...
Old 08-11-2011, 11:02 AM
Developer
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettArchibald View Post
Absolutely. Kill the joystick. It just complicates things...
Interesting tidbit of information.

The game you have on your device is version 1.1.
Version 1.0 was sans joystick. We sent the game to a bunch of reviewers and they all came back with 'our audience needs a more familiar control'. Penny Arcade was the most vocal.

We've added the joystick (obviously) and now the players are saying what you're saying. Screw the joystick - you didn't need it.

Palm meet Face. Face - Palm.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:21 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 4

I haven't tried the joystick yet, but I'm not really entirely thrilled with the touch control. I mean it works fine, but my hand is often in the way. I suppose I'll get use to it, though. Also, though, it seems impossible to play one handed, yet the game clearly seems like a game that could be played one handed. I will try the joystick and see if it fits the bill.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:03 PM
Developer
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

What I wouldn't give for transparent fingers...

Where do we submit ideas for the next stage of evolution?
Old 08-11-2011, 02:11 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 4

I tried the joystick and... yeah, that's not too good. So back to touch. This is perhaps a crazy idea, but how about iCade support? I don't have one, but I will definitely be getting on in the future. Too cool.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:48 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackharon View Post
What I wouldn't give for transparent fingers...

Where do we submit ideas for the next stage of evolution?
Well, I followed your advice and I actually agree that touch controls are the best option. Tapping or holding edges of the screen does the trick very well. I'd say make a special paragraph in the game description explaining the best way to move the cat, or have an introductory still picture in the game before the first level describing the controls and making a special point to suggest tapping the edges of the screen, not right in front of the cat. I went for joystick because I saw it being used in one of the videos. Yes, joystick is not necessary, especially in it's current form. Either way, 5 star review in Aussie app store coming up!

Ps. Evolution is a lot of trial and error business. So, go forth and multiply.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:48 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓

I like it. I've been a sucker for stealth games lately and this one has great level setups even though the levels look barren at first glance.

About the controls.... I do have to say that the joystick isn't good. At all. It doesn't feel responsive and is way too small to do proper maneuvering (though that's because it was retrofitted after the game was made; making it too big would obscure the level). I've no problem with having a joystick that works though.

As for the touch 'n hold to move mechanic, I understand the dev probably wanted a stealth game where constant maneuverability and precise movement would be important. There's less safe spots where you can stand still and catch your breath than Gesundheit for example. Once you commit to running the gauntlet any adjustments you make have to be done on the fly, which is why the dev used the touch and hold mechanic, so you can constantly adjusts your character's position without redrawing a bunch of lines or tapping positions along the route.

And yes, this does benefit the pacing of the stealth in this game. It's just that the trade off is you constantly have fingers all around onscreen even if they are at the periphery. For some people that's gonna be a little more annoying than "temporarily" putting your finger on the screen to draw a line or tapping a destination.

I'll hold off on how I feel overall until a finish a few more levels.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:19 PM
Developer
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by arta View Post
I like it. I've been a sucker for stealth games lately and this one has great level setups even though the levels look barren at first glance.

About the controls.... I do have to say that the joystick isn't good. At all. It doesn't feel responsive and is way too small to do proper maneuvering (though that's because it was retrofitted after the game was made; making it too big would obscure the level). I've no problem with having a joystick that works though.

As for the touch 'n hold to move mechanic, I understand the dev probably wanted a stealth game where constant maneuverability and precise movement would be important. There's less safe spots where you can stand still and catch your breath than Gesundheit for example. Once you commit to running the gauntlet any adjustments you make have to be done on the fly, which is why the dev used the touch and hold mechanic, so you can constantly adjusts your character's position without redrawing a bunch of lines or tapping positions along the route.

And yes, this does benefit the pacing of the stealth in this game. It's just that the trade off is you constantly have fingers all around onscreen even if they are at the periphery. For some people that's gonna be a little more annoying than "temporarily" putting your finger on the screen to draw a line or tapping a destination.

I'll hold off on how I feel overall until a finish a few more levels.
I look forward to hearing more about your opinion of the game. We're talking about ways to let you 'stick' the movement - we tried some before but may have a good idea for a future update.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:12 AM
Developer
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Glowing front page review, people creeping up to me on Game Center scores, and coffee. Great morning so far!