Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 08-12-2011, 05:25 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Default Pocket warriors [$4.99]

looks like a 2d monster hunter.
Thanks Dazarath for the info.

Last edited by oooooomonkey; 08-12-2011 at 05:52 PM..
Old 08-12-2011, 06:00 AM

Old 08-12-2011, 07:15 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
- The ac�������� of the equipped magics can be increase to 3.

What's an ac��������?
Do you have to poke someone with your lance? Uhm...
Old 08-12-2011, 08:08 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vovin View Post
What's an ac💩💩💩💩?
Do you have to poke someone with your lance? Uhm...
Haha don't know, I don't think the dev is English, but that's some funny translation.
I'm going to wait on a sale for this I think. As good as it looks that's the same price as grade A titles like infinite blade.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:15 AM

There is a lot to like here, but it feels like it needs and update or two to really shine. The game does play like a 2D version of Monster Hunter, with some serious caveats:

* combat, though still pattern based, is far simpler, with only one attack and one block (plus special abilities).
* you collect monster parts to improve your weapons, but there is no armor.
* there is no exploration in the game (though the exploration in MH is pretty weak.
* no mining or potion crafting

What this game does capture from MH is the thrill of fighting giant monsters that behave bit like puzzles -- you have to figure our their patterns or you die over and over again. The graphics are actually pretty great (in a cute sort of way) and the monster animation is generally good (the characters are okay, though the attack motion for the boy is way too basic). There's plenty of content, with dozens of hunting missions and about 14 unique monsters.

At this point, though, there are a few issues that make it hard to recommend the game. First and foremost is the companion AI: you play one two young warriors (a boy and a girl) and you can switch between them at any time. Unfortunately, the AI for the second character is atrocious -- you will often find yourself swing away at a monster while your companion stands still a fires not a single arrow. They are also prone to just wait for monsters to chomp at them without using their block move. It's hard for me to believe that the developer intended the game to play this way. It would be a huge improvement to give the player some control over the AI -- for example, set the secondary character to defend, attack, use special abilities, etc.

The game starts you with only one special ability slot, which means that you have to choose between an offensive spell or a defensive one (or a health potion). There's two characters in the game, so it makes no sense to have just one ability. It also limits your tactics considerably, which makes the early part of the game (before you unlock the second slot) way more tedious than it needs to be.

There are other weird design decisions that should probably be rethought for an update. You can only equip items in one particular location in town (though, to be fair, you can automatically equip any item you purchase). It takes about 4 missions before you find the materials to upgrade the first weapons in the game.

Finally, even though the directional controls work well, starting up your block is pretty finnicky, which can get frustrating.

Jut with improved second-character AI, though, this could be a really fun game. I hope that the developer revisits the system in an update.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:00 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Youtube link | Pop Up

Looks pretty decent actually, and from the video, I have a feeling that squarezero's impressions are accurate.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:34 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Picked it up, I'll post my impressions in a bit (have to eat tea first :-)
Old 08-12-2011, 12:00 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Just a minors spelling error. "Girl'w"

Also, I detest when apps have messed up names like this, ack!!

Looks very unprofessional(who am I to talk though), I'm just saying.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:01 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by oooooomonkey View Post
Picked it up, I'll post my impressions in a bit (have to eat tea first :-)
Eat tea?! Nah, I'm just playing, although I did LOL..
Old 08-12-2011, 03:33 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Well my first impressions are that I should have picked this game up sooner instead of waiting. The virtual controls work really well with no miss presses or problems. The graphics are nice. But it's the gameplay I love, it really does feel like a 2D monster hunter, you start in a small town complete with villagers to talk to, you can buy/upgrade weapons and take on a lot of different quests (36 I think) there's even items the monsters drop to use to upgrade your weapons.
The main thing I like so far is that it doesn't seem easy, you actually have to run around and block etc and learn when to attack which I like as the monster hunter that capcom released on iOS was far to easy for my liking.
Overall I'd say this is worth a purchase especially if you like monster hunter type games or just want your fighting with a little more strategy than just button mashing.