Universal The Little Crane That Could (by Abraham Stolk)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by bram, Jan 27, 2011.

1. bram

bram Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Vancouver, BC
    Jack,

I'm not a windows programmer, so a PC port is not coming anytime soon.
    I am somewhat intrigued by microsoft's Metro UI, and their upcoming app store, so maybe in the long term.
    Ubuntu is also a remote possibility.

The next update should not take too long, I am finishing up 1.8 which will have:

Improved visuals with edge rendering.
    Faster simulation.
    More accurate simulation.
    Fixed slipping wall sections in 'ufo' level.
    Fixed slipping roof in 'hearth' level.
    Fixed rare race condition crash when app in background mode.
    Faster flipping through levels menu.
    New level "canal".

Bram

2. bram

bram Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Vancouver, BC
    Version 1.8 available

It's been longer than usual, but the 9th release of the little crane that could is finally there.

Below is a teaser of the new content.
    Get it while it is hot! You can still be the first person to set a time for level 21.

And yes... the game now has updated graphics, to mimic the new style of the game introduced by the Mac OS version.

Bram

[​IMG]

3. duffy0842

duffy0842 New Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Bram,

Thats fine if your not a windows programmer, i was just wondering. I love the 1.8 Update of the little crane that could. its an amazing game. :) still got many ideas for upcoming updates?

Thanks
    Jack

4. Jymn12

Jymn12 New Member

Nov 4, 2011
    New graphics not a big hit in my house.....

My kids and I love the little crane app. We bought every option available we love it so much. I have it on my iPad and it is the first game my 6 year old heads to every time he gets a hold of it. However, over the past few weeks, since the last update, all I hear now is how it looks like a cartoon and he wishes it looked like it use to.

I know how hard it is to please everyone, but I have to agree that I liked the old graphic look more than the current "cartoonish" feel.

Not that a single person really would make you change it back, or give it as an option, but if there are more people feeling the same way, add me and my boy to the list.

Thanks for a great app!

5. bram

bram Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Vancouver, BC
    Hi,

Great to hear you both like to play tlctc.

When I release the next update, I will add a toggle for the wireframe outlines.
    Some people prefer it, and hey, leaving those out will make it run a tiny bit faster too I think. I have also been working on the jitterring of grappled objects.

Not sure when the update will be out, all my time is being eaten up by a baby girl, and also my next iOS game. That one is going to be freaking amazing, in many aspects better then little crane. Stay tuned!

Bram

6. Jymn12

Jymn12 New Member

Nov 4, 2011
    Thanks for the reply. We'll eagerly look forward to the next update and new game.

7. Stustaff

Stustaff Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Been reloading little crane and really enjoy it!

The steering wheel really should just be a slider bar though!

8. bram

bram Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Vancouver, BC
    1.9 will be here soon. Best version ever.

I have just submitted the little crane that could version 1.9 for approval by the app store. It is its tenth major release, and with it, the game will be better than ever, with higher frame rates and smoother physics than before.

New for 1.9 are:

✔ New level 'easter egg hunt'.
    ✔ Increased simulation stability.
    ✔ Smoother and faster display (@60fps for modern devices).
    ✔ Optimized rendering of UI.
    ✔ Moved HOBBS meter into main 3D view for faster performance.
    ✔ Added Frames Per Second indicator for performance monitoring.
    ✔ Reduced jitter when lifting heavy objects (temple pillar, bridge pillar)
    ✔ Added preferences/settings for timer, music, cartoon-style.
    ✔ Fixed shift of 3D view in free version when ad loads.
    ✔ Added 29-pixel and 58-pixel icon sizes for preference app.

9. Retrolamer

Retrolamer Member

Jun 17, 2011
    Student
    Wuppertal, Germany
    Great new update. Can't wait to play the new lvl. The game looks good with the new grafics, btw. Started to play at 1.6, since that many things changed. The game is really worth every cent.

I never player the mac version. Imo this game is kind of mobile stuff. On mac/powerful computer you can play "bigger" games. But maybe the sale-counts say something different.

10. bram

bram Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Vancouver, BC
    iOS has 7x the sales volume that macOS has.
    The touch UI is a better match for the crane controls than keyboard and mouse/trackpad.
    The advantage of macOS is that the faster CPU enables me to run far more complex physics simulations, and thus do a fully simulated tank tracks.

11. Retrolamer

Retrolamer Member

Jun 17, 2011
    Student
    Wuppertal, Germany
    Maybe native gamepad support would be nice for the mac version. Playing with a Playstation Gamepad (with converter) would be fun.

I have this at home
    [​IMG]
    playing tlctc with it would be fun :D

sorry for offtopic . back to iOS.

12. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Hehe, I've got one of those too!

CH Products makes this bad boy:

[​IMG]

13. bram

bram Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Vancouver, BC
    Freaking awesome!
    This is exactly what the macOS version of little crane needs.
    If it works with Mac, I will order one, and add little crane support for it.

Just wow....

Thx for sharing

Bram

14. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Works great with Mac.

Thottle Quadrant

I've got a full set of their stick/throttle/pedals for flight sims, they're the Cadillac of joystick makers. :)

Don't forget to pick up a Yoke for the steering wheel. ;) (Although there are probably better "car-type" steering wheels for PC/Mac than their yoke...)

15. bram

bram Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Vancouver, BC

A new version just went live on the store: 1.9.1 which is a maintenance release that cleans up some issues. No new levels unfortunately, but the simulation is smoother than it has ever been!

What's New in Version 1.9.1
    ✔ Slowed down game speed
    ✔ Added user preference to switch between slow/fast speed
    ✔ Improved simulation stability

Also: I ordered the CH products throttle quadrant device, which I will hook up to the MacOS version.

Lastly: If you like the little crane that could, you may also be interested in my new game, just submitted to the app store an hour ago. http://stolk.org/HoverBiker/

Bram

16. bram

bram Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Vancouver, BC
    Developer report: 2.0 in the works

Good news everyone... I'm finishing up the next release, and man, it is going to be a sweet one! So sweet, I decided it is worthy of a V2.0 label.

The biggest change will be an enlarged play area for a bigger game view, with a smarter layout of the controls.

This will give you gamers a WHOPPING 40% MORE PIXELS to see your favorite crane in action.

Here is a screenshot of BEFORE and AFTER:

[​IMG]
    BEFORE

[​IMG]
    AFTER

Also, 2.0 will come with a new level, and control levers that can be reversed so that they match real-world cranes. Actual crane operators told me they had to switch the control direction in game vs real life.

Bram

17. Collin

Collin Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Graphic Designer/Illustrator/Art Director
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Looks good, except based on the screenshots, it seems a bit harder to see the timer.

18. bram

bram Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Vancouver, BC
    It took me a little longer than expected: delivery time of my Throttle Quadrant was months, and doing joysticks in Mac OSX is pretty hard, but....

I am proud to announce that as of this moment, you can play the Mac OSX version of the little crane that could with this device.

[​IMG]

It works exceptionally well with the crawler crane on tracks, because the two red levers directly control the tracks, where as the 4 black levers control the crane.

http://stolk.org/tlctc/quadrant.html

Bram

19. bram

bram Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Vancouver, BC
    Little Crane takes to the sky.

There is a little treat coming to the iOS version of the little crane that could... a Skycrane will make its appearance!

Also, Matthew Beckman has been helping me giving the game a graphic design overhaul, so not only will it play better than ever, it will look better as well.

More info on the: helicopter simulation in the game.

Note: winch, wheel struts, tail rotor are still missing, but I'm working hard on those.

[​IMG]

20. Retrolamer

Retrolamer Member

Jun 17, 2011
    Student
    Wuppertal, Germany
    Hi Bram,

in the newest update i read about the editor and watched the intro an you website. It looks amazing. When i see it right, it will be for iOS? Will there be also a Mac-version in the future?

How strong will it be? Is it possible to "program" vehicle changes or "scripted" events?

Anyway - awesome game - 100% fun, with the new editor 1000% fun.