Weekly Game Impressions!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by GoofyJmaster., Nov 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

How do you prefer impressions?

Poll closed Nov 27, 2011.
  1. Short and sweet

28 vote(s)
    77.8%
  2. Long and technical (very in depth; review-like)

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #21 GoofyJmaster., Dec 2, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
    DZLS Pictures - wasn't enough character space in my impression post, had to make this separate

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. dxks2500

dxks2500 New Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Producer
    New York City
    #22 dxks2500, Dec 2, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
    LOLavi, thank you for the kind and detailed impression of our game Catball Eats It All!

We are definitely working on putting out more levels, in the next update to come. As far as tilt control goes, we tried that and it had an unintended effect; since the in-game perspective depends on the location of Catball in relation to the center of gravity, it would create a positive feedback problem where people rolling Catball around ended up twisting around holding their iPhones in a desperate attempt to navigate the level as the level rotated about, rapidly disorienting themselves in the process.

So we decided to change it back to touch controls. For now, at least. :)

3. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
  4. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    Thanks. Didn't buy Bard's tale right now, cause I just don't have the time, and wanted space for IB2. Didn't buy IB2 due to the report on crashes. Did buy plasma sword one though. It's definitely my fav runner yet.

5. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Good call. Can't wait for IB2 to be fixed. It has such good impressions everywhere you look on the web and simply looks amazing.

I agree, DRWaPS is definitely up there as one of best in the genre.

6. Wediafom24

Wediafom24 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Student
    Asmara, Eritrea
    Awesome impressions Goofy and Backtothis, Tell it like it is, keep it up:)

7. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Okay, well if it didn't work well then I don't mind, I love the controls currently just thought other people micht want variety.

8. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    IB2 and Epoch crash fixes are out! Very excited to play through them. Will leave impressions on IB2 in the coming hours. Looks like this week won't be too terrible after all. Only took them two days and a half to fix IB2, good stuff.

9. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    We both use 4th gen. devices. Leaving IB2 impressions once I get through quite a bit or all of it. Performance is stellar on the 4th gen. iPod so far. Can't wait to check out how it looks on the iPad 2 in about a week once I'm home.

10. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Haha, I feel you man! I joined Appasnap, but every time I wanted to leave a review someone already did it, so that didn't work out. Plus I posted here more often anyways.

Glad to have you aboard!

Yup, about to download now! :D

11. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    That was interesting, lol. TA gave me a message saying my post was 4,000 characters over the limit. Never had that happen before. Posting my Infinity Blade impressions separately here then. Add this to the OP for me GJ, thanks.

----------

Infinity Blade 2

The crash fix came out today. Played a little over two hours. Exited and restarted the game twice, and the save files were still there at the right spot. Didn't experience any crashes, but there are framerate slowdowns at certain parts of the game. That's expected though. I'm guessing performance will continue to improve in the near future. It definitely plays fine now though.

The game looks fantastic. However, it wasn't what I was hoping for on the 4th gen. iPod. Tons of effects are missing, which are present on A5 devices. Right now, the visuals are on par with the first game. There are a ton more environments though. You start off in a Japanese garden, but you travel to a tower similar to the one in the first game, an arena, and lots more locations. Excited to see how it looks on the iPad 2 when I get the chance.

The storyline is a lot stronger in this game. That isn't saying much since the plot was completely bare-bones in the first game, but it's definitely a big part of the second game. I actually want to read the book now once I finish the game. You're going to be in for a few surprises.

Combat is more or less the same as before. Now, there's three ways to fight though. You can dual-wield, use the standard sword and shield, or use a 2-handed weapon. 2-handed weapons are incredibly strong, but you can only block and parry with them. You can perform bonus hits with them. Dual-wield is probably my favorite. As expected, you hit the enemy many times quickly. Instead of regular stabs though, you get to do a series of stabs. You can only dodge or parry though. The sword and shield is still the same as in the first game.

There are now gems to put into weapon and armor slots. If you've ever played a dungeon crawler before, I'm sure you're familiar with them. You put the stones into the available slots in each weapon, and it boosts the stats of the weapon. You find them along your journey and can buy them too from the store. There's tons of different kinds. You can remove them from a weapon to use again for a small fee.

I'm really loving how many different types of enemies there are now. They weren't exaggerating when they said there were 5-6 times the amount of enemies to face. Always a good thing. There are even some enemies who use ranged attacks for a part of the battle and enemies who don't use weapons at all, like the beast in the trailer, which you do actually fight. Also, spells look awesome now. You actually get to see the different types of spells in action unlike the first game.

Besides gems, there are now keys as well. You can find these on the map along with potions and gold or buy them. Keys are used to open chests containing equips. Chests that don't require keys now give gold. There's also a variety of potions now. As you can see, the depth of the game has increased pretty drastically. You still master equips to gain experience for leveling up like in the first game. There are still the same four stats to increase when you level. There are a ton more equips as expected.

I'm actually on my third "playthrough" now. You may be wondering how this is possible since they said the game would many times longer. It's pretty clever what they did. Everytime you "start over," you actually have access to more and more of the world. For example, on the first playthrough, many areas were locked. However, the second time, I was able to go to these places, and they lead to new environments and progress the story. Not sure how many times I'll have to do this to actually beat the entire game though, but I don't see clear ending in sight after three times though. Like I said, it was a clever way to incorporate the replay feature found in the first game with new content to increase the game's length dramatically.

I was expecting them to actually differentiate between blunt and sharp weapons this time around. It's rather strange seeing my hero plunge his mace into an enemy's head. That's a rather minor issue though. There's no multiplayer yet sadly, but a co-op survival mode will be coming soon. That should be quite a bit of fun, but I definitely will be missing the real-time multiplayer battles from the first game.

It's hard to really name any negatives for Infinity Blade 2. It really takes the original game and brings it to another level. While you may argue that there's not that much new stuff, it can certainly be argued that it's an entirely beast entirely.

I highly recommend you to check out the game, especially if you were a fan of the original. Just remember that this isn't a full-fledged RPG, but a fighter that takes advantage of what the platform has to offer. Ecstatic that the crash fix was submitted and approved so quickly. Looking forward to spending a lot more time with the game in the future.

12. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    @backtothis Awesome impression! I'm glad you touched base on what type of game this is. I keep trying to get people to realize that IB is a fighting game with a good storyline; not a RPG.

I'm looking forward to the third installment. Hopefully we see a pre-columbian/primeval theme!

-------------------------------------

Also, I fixed the pictures for my impressions for the 11/23 week!

-----------------------------------------

The thread should be getting cleaned up this weekend!

13. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Impression

12/7/11

Six-Guns
    First off, Gameloft has managed to make a fairly good looking game. Whoo!

All it really does it set you up for disappointment. You look at this vast and beautiful world that soon becomes empty and depressing. There's no one to interact with and give you a "howdy do". You'll walk from town to town wondering where everyone has gone (was there a famine or a plague). The few people that are in the world typically don't notice you and look up at the sky; I guess because you're not worth their precious time. The only true interaction you get are the small flocks of birds that you can try and kill; and then the occasional bear that will appear behind you and kill you in one fell swoop. He then proceeds to stand over your cold, dead body and shake fervently. This results in having to wait for you health to regen, which I'll talk more about later. The characters don't talk to each other which feels off in a 3D game that looks as good as this. The dialogue that is given is hardly worth being noted. The only good thing is the music as I found it to be above average.

To get more into the story...wait, there is no story. It's just a bunch of senseless running around picking up plants and killing a majorly flawed AI (will elaborate later on). And it's not even senseless fun. :(

As far as controls, it seems as if Gameloft has a thing for stiff movement. You're character's movement doesn't always feel fluid, but it's never too bad; but the problem is the aiming. Maybe I haven't found the right settings but it takes a lifetime to turn around or look all the way left to all the way right (180 degrees). The bear taunts me knowing I'll never be able to get him, DAMMIT! Otherwise shooting is just alright even though you can't look down.

Anyways the AI is terrible. I already mentioned the naughty bear and the lack on NPCs. The bandits that you fight constantly get stuck on objects and glitch down steps. the only somewhat intelligent enemy in the game is the Native American girl who maliciously assaults you with her knife. The zombies are just ridiculous. half the time they have their hands back and are expressing "what's up let's go (I got a good laugh at this). The other half of the time they're hitting you for sizable amounts of damage. The NPCs that you save from hostage really show no gratitude and without voice acting it all seems so shallow and lifeless anyway.

Immersion factor: Besides the desolate land and the non-existent story, there is the IAP and wait times. For one thing it takes several hours for you to get more ammo without purchasing it. Albeit the prices are cheap, but will most likely add up in the long run when you want to buy a better gun or upgrades. Nothing is really cheap besides the ammo IMO and prices jump quickly; and you'll be grinding a decent while in a not-so-fun atmosphere. Then there's the very detailed upgrade system for individual guns, which doesn't do anything but add to the dullness and consume more coins. Then there are those SNG factor that hurt the game because it's suppose to be a 3D action game. You have to wait a couple of minutes for your health to regen every time you die, those awesome 15-30 second video ads to get badges, the constant buy ammo box on the left side of the screen, the game always asking you to share (maybe u can turn this off), and the occasional pop up telling you to buy more ammo. Lastly there is the the additional slot space for your bag that costs 750 coins; and trust me, you don't have a lot of space and the game will let you know.

Whether you feel the IAP is balanced or not, it's the story and fun that falls flat. If you want a beautiful, barren land with almost no organisms, a couple lifeless NPCs, a flawed AI, a clunky horse, no story, sub par controls, non-fun herbal quests, no voice animation, classy pop-ups reminding you that you can buy this, gameloft's hate of game center, and an easily aroused brown bear this is the game for you.

To be somewhat fair, if you can handle the SNG elements and play once a day it might be fun. The missions do get old fairly quickly and again herbal quests just suck.

If you think this is what a game should be then feel free to bash my impression and support the decline of quality iOS gaming.

Why not support a perfectly good paid game?

14. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Well, Six-Gun may be boring, but your impression certainly is quite funny, so one way or the other we did get some entertainment from it ;).

15. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Well thought it would be a quiet week for me but have got Six Guns, Mini Motor Racing, Tank Riders and Crazy Bomber.

Calm before the storm i think as i better free up more space what with lots of releases coming soon

Only played a few so far, will play more at lunch. Six Guns i've already put i'm enjoying, some issues but overall pretty good. Mini Motor Racing is great fun, need to try the other two later. The second Touch Arcade mentioned Tank Riders is like an updated 'Combat' i had to get it

16. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Played a little over an hour total for Six-Guns, MMR, and Batman. Pretty mediocre first impressions. Going to give them another go once my I'm done with today's finals, which will be in about 11 hours. Will leave full impressions afterwards. I'd say Six-Guns could have actually been one of Gameloft's better adventure games though had they created an actual campaign and charged the usual $6.99 for the full game.

17. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Yeah, gonna have to leave my impressions for tomorrow probably. Will play a little more of MMR.

18. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Haha yeah, I was smiling when I wrote it. The first time that bear killed me I was like WTF. He came out of nowhere! :) The first living thing I see besides birds and it kills me in 1.5 seconds!

I'll have to check out Tank Raiders! I'm about to start playing MMR today because I passed out last night, haha. Got crazy Bomber, but as you know, we're waiting for a fix! But I'm still looking forward to it!

Yeah, when I first turned on Six Guns and saw it, I was like please be good...PLEASE! It just lacks too many things! They should've charged a flat price for the game. Poor DH3! :(

Hey, I'll prolly add you to the OP since it's just the 3 of us! :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope everyone enjoys this weeks' impressions!

19. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    #39 LOLavi, Dec 8, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
    Road Warrior http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=115350&highlight=road+warrior

Hmm... Where to start...? Well first off all, it's awesome. Like a fun combination of Death Rally and Extreme Road Trip! Mobjoy came out of nowhere asking for beta testers for a game that looked somewhat awesome. Of course I joined in and had an awesome time testing it. Now it's live in App Store and I'm still enjoying it.

Freemium seems to be the future of App Store(no, I don't mean all games will be freemium) and sometimes I just hate it, but there are some games that work. Well, this is both a well-made game and also quite a cash cow. The IAPs are for coins that you can use to buy new cars or upgrade them. Unfortunately you(at least I) need to grind a lot to earn enough money to buy a new car, upgrading is easier.

The gameplay is fun. You race to the finish line and you can shoot opponent cars while avoiding enemy fire. You do flips for nitro boosts which launch immediately after landing the flip. The more flips you do, the more boosts you do, therefore you'll do better in the game. To win, you must watch out for opponents, shoot them and do flips - and it's all frickin' awesome!

The graphics are excellent. They're clear, sharp and the overall art style is great. Sounds are also great, but I usually play without sounds, so that really doesn't matter for me.

There are few different tracks and as in Death Rally there are different difficulty levels such as 3 skulls and 1 skull. Depending on your position and the track's difficulty, you will be granted a specific amount of money, usually not that much so you do need those IAPs as I've told before. I'm not sure if I remember, but I think there are 10 different cars, haven't tested them all, but I think they're gradually increasing in power and speed. You can also equip the car with different guns.

The game combines awesome gameplay, graphics and controls, but it also has a freemium model that I don't think works that well. Nevertheless, I do recommend it and I hope it gets a little more attention cause it does deserve it.

Will do Mini Motor Racing, maybe something else later. Hope you enjoy my impressions at least almost as much as GoofyJ's and BTT's :) Just to clarify, I'm 14, so my impressions aren't that deep and lengthy :p

Edit: Oh and there's lots of grinding like Death Rally has and it doesn't have levels so it's not something you will complete. And with the cars being so expensive, I doubt you can grind enough to buy them all. 3.5/5 simply cause it's still fun at least for 2-3 hours, for some even more.

20. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Really sorry that I haven't posted any impressions yet, had exams this week. Not sure why BTT or Goofy haven't posted, but I'm sure they have good reasons also. I'll be doing impression of Mini Motor Racing tomorrow for sure :)