Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 12-14-2011, 11:59 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Default Blockwick - Puzzler from Kieffer Bros.

Bonjour,

Our new slider puzzle game, Blockwick, is now available on the App Store! You can download Blockwick for free and play through the first 60 puzzles. If you want more, you can purchase more in the app.

Enjoy!

- Los Kieffer Bros.

App Store Link:

Gameplay Video:

Youtube link | Pop Up
Old 12-14-2011, 01:30 PM

Looks interesting. Best of luck guys!
Old 12-15-2011, 11:42 AM

I gotta say... I love this game. I picked it up just to see if it could be a good little pick up and play time waster, but then found that I couldn't put it down.

The mechanics are the basic "parking lot" type where you move blocks around in order to get the proper piece where you need to be, only this time you're trying to get certain pieces to match. As the game ramps up you have to match different types on the same board.

It's wild how many times i thought that the puzzle I was working on was impossible but kept working until i was finally able to solve it. Each level is very well designed and the play is smooth.

The game tries to add a little extra element by hiding a "dot" somewhere on the screen, but this is really not that great. After the first few rounds you move pretty much every piece anyway so finding the dot is not a big deal.

The game could use a time element or possibly a "number of moves" scoring system to get some replay factor. This could work it's way into the Game Center. As it stands now the achievements are pretty weak.

But all in all. It's a great game and one that I kept playing all night long... Just one more level. I highly recommend the free pick up and then getting the rest of the game.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:09 PM

I agree that this is a very nice game. I’ve played it for a while now, and they still haven’t even asked me for any money yet. Their freebie section is very generous. Nobody who doesn’t love this game will have to pay anything, which, I think, makes for the best possible business model.

You’re right QuickWit, that the time and the number of moves isn’t tracked. I see this as a plus, though. I see this as a design decision, rather than an omission. It lends itself to a more relaxing game, a more zen-like experience. I can see the value in adding a scoring system like you’ve suggested, but I hope that it’s implemented as an option. This is a game that I’d rather not play competitively.

As for the “hiding the dot” element, I agree that it’s nothing spectacular. It does add a little something, though. And this added gameplay element makes apparent another nice little design decision in the game. When you’ve “solved” a certain level, it’s not necessarily over. If you don’t hit the “Next” button right away, you can continue playing. You can “unsolve” it and find a different solution, or you can move around the other blocks to try and uncover the missing dot. In every other game that I’ve played that has a “find this thing” element, if you beat the level before finding the thing, you’re forced to start over and try again. Not here. It’s a subtle difference, but I think it’s a nice touch.

Aside from the game, there’s a very nice feedback feature built right in. I’ve written already suggesting the ability to “push” multiple blocks at a time and the ability to use multitouch to move more than one piece. They responded very quickly, and mentioned that they’re considering both ideas:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Kieffer
This idea was brought up during the beta test, and we really like it. If I remember correctly, implementing something like this would have required a major rebuilding of the code, so we decided to put it on the back burner for another time. It would certainly make playing a lot more intuitive and easy though (along with multitouch). We've got these on Blockwick's update/sequel wish list.
If you agree that these are important features, be sure to let them know that it would make their great game even better. But even without these additions, this is a free-to-play gem. It saddens me a bit that this thread isn’t yet bustling with activity. I’d hate for this game to be overlooked. It’s very well done, and in my opinion, this is the kind of game that plays best on iOS. Nothing fancy, just using a touchscreen to move blocks around. But in the best possible way. You’ll spend more time on this than you expect to. Good stuff.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:56 PM

Finally finished the free levels which meant that I pretty much meant I had to buy the first level pack. This is one of those games you don't think will be very special until you realise you've spent the last few hours playing it. There is absolutely no excuse not to check this game out considering there is so much free content provided.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:20 AM

A few replies to other comments before I make any comments of my own...

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickWit View Post
The game tries to add a little extra element by hiding a "dot" somewhere on the screen, but this is really not that great. After the first few rounds you move pretty much every piece anyway so finding the dot is not a big deal.
This I do agree with. It's not a puzzling test to be able to find it - it's more a case of throw ALL the pieces around until you find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickWit View Post
The game could use a time element or possibly a "number of moves" scoring system to get some replay factor.
No, no, no, no, no... Please no, do not do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbertKornfeld View Post
You’re right QuickWit, that the time and the number of moves isn’t tracked. I see this as a plus, though. I see this as a design decision, rather than an omission. It lends itself to a more relaxing game, a more zen-like experience. I can see the value in adding a scoring system like you’ve suggested, but I hope that it’s implemented as an option. This is a game that I’d rather not play competitively.
This I agree with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbertKornfeld View Post
Aside from the game, there’s a very nice feedback feature built right in. I’ve written already suggesting the ability to “push” multiple blocks at a time and the ability to use multitouch to move more than one piece. They responded very quickly, and mentioned that they’re considering both ideas.
YES! Indeed, I've often found myself instinctively trying to push a whole row of blocks just by pushing the one at the very end.
It just feels like I somehow *should* be able to do that, and it then feels weird when I can't actually do it.

—————

Moving on... This is indeed a great puzzle game, and it oozes the usual Kieffer Bros charm.
My only problem with the game, interestingly, is the icon and the way it looks on my iPhone screen.
Because the icon is rather dark, and it has a weird little even-darker bit right at the bottom of the icon, it actually ends up looking like the game is in the process of installing.
Have a look at it here, right next to a couple of other games that are trying to install at the moment (but cannot do so due to lack of space - but that's another story).
All the other icons on the screen are bright and vivid, and the two games that are installing are darkened with the black installer progress bar at the bottom of the icon.
The Blockwick icon looks much more like the two installing icons than an already-installed game.

Last edited by BrettArchibald; 12-19-2011 at 05:26 AM..
Old 12-19-2011, 01:40 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Wow, thank you, everyone, for the great feedback and suggestions! This gives us a lot to think about for future updates and even for sequels and other games we're working on.

It's these attention-to-detail/attention-to-UX type suggestions that we really love. You can work on something for a long time and begin to pass over subtle elements like these. But they do make a huge difference.

I've added this all to Blockwick's feature brainstorm/wish list. Thanks again!
Old 12-19-2011, 04:10 PM

And I have backed off of my suggestion for a moves count or time device. As the game gets harder and harder it is nice to just have the "zen like" feeling that was talked about earlier so that you can try to solve it without pressure.

Though it would be fun to see just how many moves you've made on a level. I know I'd be shocked to see how many moves it took me (some in the 1000 range I'm sure).

Great game and should be an instant pick up for any puzzle fan.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:43 PM

I kind of like this, but it isn't totally grabbing me. It feels like there is something missing. I think it could use a little bit of beefing up in the audio department. I want some sound to reinforce that I'm moving blocks about, but it might be tricky to do this without it seeming repetitive. Also, the sounds made when finishing a group are maybe a little too subtle.

I will play it some more, though.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:15 PM

I have been playing this solidly over the last few days. Am up to 8-9 and am amazing by how much content there is. The way a new shape is introduced each chapter gives you a chance to really learn how to master moving it around. After a few chapters the difficulty level really ramps up and you can expect some levels to take a very long time as you struggle to find a way to move the blocks around to get the desired result.