Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > User Reviews

Old 01-07-2012, 04:04 AM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Default Don't Run With a Plasma Sword - Seriously!

First off, if you're a fan of very difficult endless runners - DRWAPS will not dissapoint, this game definitely brings the hardcore gamer out of you. I bought the game immediately after it was released and was not dissapointed, the amount of upgrades in here is absolutely insane, totaling ten different skills to unlock, five times each for most of them. The fact that you can also buy different colors for your 'plasma sword,' hair, and clothing is a very welcoming experience. The small storyline is done with comic book graphics and done very well to bring even more of an enganging game time.

DRAWPS starts you off with levels in which you have to run a certain distance in order to complete the level. There are a total of four worlds/environments, each being proggressively more difficult. There are also four endless modes included in the game, going from Easy to Expert.

As you run, aleins come at you, obviously trying to kill you. There are a few different types of enemies, ones that shoot lasers that can be deflected, ones with long arms that you must slide under, etc. Thankfully, as the name implies, you somehow obtained a plasma sword which can be used to kill the aliens. Each alien killed gives you some amount of experience points which can be used to upgrade skills or asthethics . These skills include: longer sliding, the ability to dive, a dash attack, and more. During a game you will encounter powerups which will either give you a shield, long range wave attack, or simply give you another life.

More experience points can be collected by collecting stars floating around the level, or completing various challenges in the endless levels. The challenges encourage you to obtain a certain amount stars or powerups, or to kill a number of enemies in a single playthrough. One can also obtain more experience by buying them through in-app purchases, but don't worry, the presence is un-noticeable and definitely not needed.

As I've said many times, I love stat pages. DRAWPS has a stats page which includes time played, how many games you've played, how many enemies you've killed, and more.

Leaderboards and Achievements are done through both OpenFeint and GameCenter. There are many leaderboards which show the leaders in each world in story mode and endless levels. The game has a total of 36 achievements and most of them are rewarded for traveling a given distance in a specific game mode and level.

Overall, the game is absolutely worth the asking price if you consider yourself a hardcore gamer or love endless runners. One gripe I had with DRAWPS, is the lack of level variety. After playing for about four hours I had most of the levels almost memorized and recognizable when I got to a level formation, as you can imagine, this makes endless mode feel very samey after a while and quite boring.

My Rating = 4 Stars