Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 01-12-2012, 11:00 PM

Default RayForce - Vertical Shmup by Taito - $11.99

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Price discussion can be found here: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=52534

Last edited by New England Gamer; 01-13-2012 at 07:05 AM.. Reason: added videos
Old 01-13-2012, 12:23 AM
iPad mini

I nominate Gabrien to TOFTT.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:25 AM
TouchArcade Janitor
iPhone (Original), iOS 1.x

This game is really cool. If you like Cave shmups this will be right up your alley. The unique gimmick of this one is that things take place on two "layers," I guess, for lack of a better way to put it. You need to lock on with missiles to fire at things on the ground, then you have your normal forward-pointing gun to shoot things on your layer. It's stupidly hectic, and a ton of fun. It's not retina, but I doubt the original sprites were technically "retina" either. It looks fine on my iPhone 4S.

Last edited by Eli; 01-13-2012 at 12:28 AM..
Old 01-13-2012, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodapp View Post
This game is really cool. If you like Cave shmups this will be right up your alley. The unique gimmick of this one is that things take place on two "layers," I guess, for lack of a better way to put it. You need to lock on with missiles to fire at things on the ground, then you have your normal forward-pointing gun to shoot things on your layer. It's stupidly hectic, and a ton of fun. It's not retina, but I doubt the original sprites were technically "retina" either. It looks fine on my iPhone 4S.
Humm, at least CAVE regularly gives introductory offer to fans. For the track record of Taito, I can wait...

This game reminds me of Space Deadbeef and another classic vertical shooter start with X...
Old 01-13-2012, 02:18 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiddToKmart View Post
Sorry, I don't "TOFTT." I just buy games that look good or intrigue me. If they turn out to be worthwhile I come here and tell everyone and then no one listens.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:37 AM
TouchArcade Janitor
iPhone (Original), iOS 1.x

Seriously guys, if you want to complain about the price of this game you might as well just save me the trouble of moving your post and just post in this thread instead: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=52534
Old 01-13-2012, 02:41 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

So is it roughly "as good as" something by CAVE? What I mean is, does it have that level of production value, depth and is it executed as nicely with controls and performance, etc.? If so, I'll download it, but I feel that is a pretty massive "if," since no other vertical shooters for iOS really come close to DDP Res or Esp II. If there is one that arguably does, however, it's certainly Taito's Infinity Gene.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodapp View Post
Seriously guys, if you want to complain about the price of this game you might as well just save me the trouble of moving your post and just post in this thread instead: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=52534
it's going to be difficult to have a dedicated thread for a game like this and not sound off about such a price. It's definitely unusual, especially considering this game in particular.

That being said, I'll re-post what I mentioned earlier - I saw the title and expected the 3D polygon blaster (I got the names mixed-up in my memory). I'd love to see that game come out on the phone actually, although I am suspect of how it would control (it still feels great on the console!) And a little off-topic, if that game was released on 3DS I'd gladly pay a premium price for it (hell, even this old 2D game would be great on that hardware with such a gimmick!)

As for this game on iOS - I believe there are a few good reasons you don't see an overwhelming number of 2D shooters on the iDevices. Personally I dig the genre, but have never seen one which has truly felt "a great fit" on a touchscreen, although I'll argue just because it hasn't been done yet properly, does not mean it couldn't.. let's see what others have to say, in regards to Rayforce-
Old 01-13-2012, 03:14 AM
iPad 2, OS 4.x

I spent a very large amount of time on Rayforce/Layer Section back in the day, so this is an instabuy for me and I'll come back with a few impressions on how well this has converted as soon as possible.

It's simpler with the scoring than most Cave games. You get a large amount of score for shooting ships in the background with your laser shot - The more lock-ons you manage to fire at once, the higher score you get.

Ideally, you want to be locking onto and killing larger targets last from what I remember. You can demonstrate this right at the beginning of the first level and get a nice early score boost.

Memory is hazy - It's been a while even since I've played this on MAME, so it'll be nice to get back into it.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:19 AM

I`ll give it a try. Currently at the Airport. As soon as I will be back you can expect the usual Feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiddToKmart View Post
Could some Mod erase this useless Post?

Last edited by Sanuku; 01-13-2012 at 06:33 AM..