Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 01-04-2012, 10:09 PM
iPhone 4

I was initially hesitant to try this game because turn based RPG's are not usually my cup of tea, but based on the creator's other game, Space Miner, I gave it a shot. And I'm glad I did. The game is polished, has great artwork, and is decently deep. It plays well as a mobile RPG fix.

I've added myself to the Add Me thread (link on post #1 of this thread)

I've started as a Justicar, currently level 7, and find the difficulty curve just right. So far the freemium approach has not adversely affected my enjoyment, although I throw myself in with the lot here who prefer to pay more up front and have access to everything.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:00 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

is there a guide for this game somewhere? i can't seem to find any waterlogged corpses for a daily bounty anywhere, must be missing some nook...
Old 01-07-2012, 12:37 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Did you find your waterlogged corpses? Try Lake Nithus/The Ghost Ship. You'll find some there for sure.

My main three issues are lack of the ability to earn gold shields. I mean I have been getting them with the achievements but there is no way to earn enough to actually buy stuff. Maybe a couple blessings. Maybe if we could pick the Hero Points from the daily bounty OR 1 gold shield. Or somehow convert silver coins to gold shields at a high ratio. You just can't earn enough gold shields to really buy any decent gear later on in the game.

Second, after 13 or 14, you are running out of quests and have to grind to the next level. The achievements help but the rewards aren't sufficient (see above) for the effort. I did it for the experience rather than the 1 gold shield (that still doesn't buy me the epic gear I'd like). I've managed to hit 19 but after completing the quests, I'm less than halfway through the level. And the last of my achievements pushed me through 18.

Lastly, multiple characters. Can't wait. But will there be a way to pass gear from one character to another? I have lots of stuff I'd love to share with other characters or friends on my board. I wish we could pass gear on. Also, the gold shields I've earned really need to be available to the other characters when they become available. Silver coins are easy to get.

Last edited by theryon; 01-07-2012 at 12:39 PM.. Reason: Spelling corrections
Old 01-07-2012, 01:48 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by theryon View Post
Did you find your waterlogged corpses? Try Lake Nithus/The Ghost Ship. You'll find some there for sure.

My main three issues are lack of the ability to earn gold shields. I mean I have been getting them with the achievements but there is no way to earn enough to actually buy stuff. Maybe a couple blessings. Maybe if we could pick the Hero Points from the daily bounty OR 1 gold shield. Or somehow convert silver coins to gold shields at a high ratio. You just can't earn enough gold shields to really buy any decent gear later on in the game.

Second, after 13 or 14, you are running out of quests and have to grind to the next level. The achievements help but the rewards aren't sufficient (see above) for the effort. I did it for the experience rather than the 1 gold shield (that still doesn't buy me the epic gear I'd like). I've managed to hit 19 but after completing the quests, I'm less than halfway through the level. And the last of my achievements pushed me through 18.

Lastly, multiple characters. Can't wait. But will there be a way to pass gear from one character to another? I have lots of stuff I'd love to share with other characters or friends on my board. I wish we could pass gear on. Also, the gold shields I've earned really need to be available to the other characters when they become available. Silver coins are easy to get.
i looked for them at those locations, they weren't showing up, but no biggy, those rewards/missions are somewhat worthless outside of the nice XP, nothing worthwhile to buy with the hero hero things.

i do wish there were more opportunities to earn the gold shields, but i have been able to buy a number of pieces with the various ones earned with achievements. other than that, they ARE trying to sell them to you, so no point in making them easy to earn.

I do think the blessings are a joke however, in terms of their cost, they started out at 10 gold for a blessing, then went down to 5, but to me they're not worth more than 1 anyway, as i've never found myself caring about having a blessing.

i'm at 20 now, still haven't beaten the hunter and dragon though, might get around to that sometime in the next few days. but after that there's nothing left to do, other than finish up some of the achievements i suppose... not that i really care about achievements in the first place.

game needs more content, more gear variety, more quests, more zones, etc.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:50 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 4.x

Default Regeneration Ability

With single character RPGs, you have three variables:
DPS= Damage/ Second
RPS= Regenerate / Second
DRS= Damage Resistance/ Second

usually grouped as follows:
Hi= substantially higher than Med, usually 200% or 400%
Med= baseline
Lo= substantially lower than Med, usually 50% or 25%

Since Venan does not have regeneration abilities/ items, it is only DPS and DRS for six possible classes

Fun to play:
DPS Hi DRS Med
DPS Med DRS Hi

These two can be tough to play:
DPS Hi DRS Lo
DPS Lo DRS Hi

The two can be unplayable:
DPS Med DRS Lo
DPS Lo DRS Med

I wish they would add Regenerate / Second so you could have these possible six:

DPS Hi; RPS Med; DR Lo
DPS Hi; RPS Lo; DR Med

DPS Med; RPS Lo; DR Hi
DPS Med; RPS Hi; DR Lo

DPS Lo; RPS Med; DR Hi
DPS Lo; RPS Hi; DR Med

-BjofCJ&Bj
Old 01-17-2012, 02:26 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

I thought I'd share my template experience. I've been messing with different skill layouts for my fire-based War Mage, I think the following is the best:

Tier 1
3/3 Incinerate 3
1/3 Frozen Shard 1
3/3 Arcane Barrier 3
3/3 Flaming Pyre 3

Tier 2
0/3 Combustion 0
0/3 Icy Grasp 0
0/3 Ice Storm 0
3/3 Inner Focus 3

Tier 3
3/3 Fire Fracture 3
0/3 Ice Fracture 0
3/3 Hasten 3
1/3 Time Void 1

In previous builds I had used Combusion, but the fuse is so long (4 seconds) I don' think it's worth it. Instead I spent the points on Inner Focus which dramatically improves damage.

The other revelation was the power of stuns. Time Void is an incredibly effective tool, especially when facing enemies that have big slow attacks. You can interrupt them at the last second and really screw them up.

For my equipment I use full Haste gear. The base score is 3,058, which means speed is increased by 29%. With Hasten 3 cast, that increases to 58.46%. Fast! This means you can squeeze more spells in before your opponents do anything. I prefer this approach given the central aspect of timing in the game. It also means Time Void only takes a ridiculously small 0.15 seconds to cast, so you can stun all your enemies at the drop of a hat.

So in a typical encounter I will cast Hasten, Inner Focus, Arcane Barrier, and Fire Fracture to start. Then Incinerate, then Flaming Pyre, then Incinerate. Then I might use a Frozen Shard to slow down one of the enemies left, cast Fire Fracture again to make sure the enemies still stay vulnerable, and then start casting Incinerate again. At any time in here I may drop a Time Void in if I see the enemy making an attack or casting a spell that I do not want them to do (I try to always interrupt big heal spells, Arcane Barrier spells, or any attacks or spells that could stun me).

In other exciting news, I hit 40k hero points today. Go me!

Last edited by redpill; 01-17-2012 at 02:31 PM..
Old 01-17-2012, 03:14 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Default ....

Dangit everytime I see this thread bumped I get all excited hoping its the 3 save slots added feature
Old 01-22-2012, 04:35 PM

Default Item Enchantments Pt 1 (BoH version All)

Overview:
Except for +Max Health, Weapon Damage, and Ancestral enchantments, items you already have get weaker every time you go up a Level. The same item that gave you +6.34% Spell at Level 16 gives you +5.33% Spell at Level 20.
Dodge is weak unless you are a Shadow Walker with Shadow Stalker 3.
Items with +Haste are weaker than other +enchantments, followed by +Resist.
Except for adding to +Max Health, and Weapon Damage as Level increases, Ancestral items do not get more powerful, but stay the same strength.
Buying advice: spend Gold Shields (GS) and Silver Coins (SC) on weapons (especially Named Weapons) and +Max Health items.

Body Part 1:
+Max Health Items
These are the easiest to understand. If an item gives you 50 +Max Health, then the maximum on your Health Bar is raised 50 points. Ancestral +Max Health items are even better, since they give you more points the higher you get. Even though a Level 1-10(10) Ancestral item stops increasing at tenth Level, when it reaches its maximum, it has more +Max Health than a normal 16th Level item. War Mages get an 1-10(1) Ancestral +Max Health Ring with every Starting Bundle.

Potions
Since potions are on a timer, it can be difficult to tell when to use them. For example using a 500 potion is easier if you have 750 Health Bar than a 505 Health Bar. +Max Health items raise your Health Bar, making it easier to use 150, 500 and 1250 potions without wasting them (healing less that the potion's max healing), missing your window (being killed by a single attack before you can use a potion), or using them instead of the Temple (having to use one when you are just about to win a 1 Energy Monster Encounter).

Regaining Health
Every 5 minutes, you regain 10% of your health. The higher your maximum health, the more health you regain every 5 minutes. With no items, my Level 20 Shadow Walker has 1450 Health for 145 health every 5 minutes. Fully equipped, she has 2406 health for 240 health every 5 minutes.

Named Armor Bundles
Justicars, Shadow Walkers and War Mages each have three Named Armor Bundles. All of the Named Armor Bundles have +Max Health items (very desirable), the six most expensive have two +Max Health items. The six most expensive bundles, three Rare and three Epic, contain items with Defense enchantments (desirable). None of the Named Armor Bundles have Resist items (less desirable, so it's cool they don't have them). These bundles can be purchased at Majerio's Shop for gold shields.

De-buffs
De-buffs can be ignored, or a zero second, zero timer Cleanse Potion can be used.
No known de-buffs reduce Health, so +Max Health enchantments are not affected.
Also see Haste- A Special Case.

Armor Points
Armor counts as Defense. A 200 Armor +100 Defense T-Shirt is the same as a 150 Armor +150 Defense Scarf is the same as a 100 Armor +200 Defense Bunny Slippers. (Please note T-Shirts, Scarves and Bunny Slippers aren't actually available in the game, but my wife is helping me type this up, and she wanted Bunny Slippers. She's running an 18th Level Justicar right now, so I'm not gonna argue.) (Typist's note: There should so totally be armored Bunny Slippers for the Frozen Vale. I would totally buy those.)

Item Change
Melee, Spell, Crit, Defense and Dodge enchantments all appear to increase 1% per X points. If you change items, but not Level, your ability goes up or down depending on the item change.
---Data: A Level 20 Shadow Walker with 858 points in Melee is 114.4%, and 865 points in Spell is 115.33% or 1% per 7.5 points.
Same character with 1347 points in Crit is 17.96%, with 2027 points in Defense is 27.02% and 900 points in Dodge is 12% or 1% per 75 points, Increase Dodge to 1021 points equals 13.61%. Increase Crit to 1347 points equals 17.96% Decrease Crit to 1200 for 16%.

Level Change
If you keep the same items (except Ancestral), enchantments get weaker as you go up Levels. To get a 1% change takes more points the higher your Level. Thus, an item with +100 points gets lower and lower percentage the more you go up. This does not apply to Plus +Max Health or Weapon Damage.
---Data: Amutet of Tenebras gives you +6.34% Spell at Level 16 but +5.33 at Level 20, -6% Haste at Level 16 but -5.09% at Level 20, but it gives you 134 +Max Health at both Level 16 and Level 20.
A Level 16 Shadow Walker with 693 points in Spell has 110%, a Level 20 Shadow Walker needs 825 points in Spell to also get 110%.
A Level 14 Justicar with 621 points in Spell has 108.94%, but a Level 16 Justicar with more points, 630, only has Spell 100%.

Class Change
No known difference between classes for enchantments.

Ability Change
---Data:
Vanish 3 adds +50% to Crit, making Crit 19.36% into 69.36%
Shadow Stalker 3 adds +50% to Dodge making Dodge 15.18% into 65.18%.
Stonewall 3 multiplies 200% to Defense making Defense 39.07% into 78.15%
Also see Haste- A Special Case.
(This is not a complete list.)

Last edited by BjofCJ&Bj; 03-16-2012 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: Title Change
Old 01-22-2012, 04:38 PM

Default Item Enchantments Pt 2 (BoH version All)

Overview:
Except for +Max Health, Weapon Damage, and Ancestral enchantments, items you already have get weaker every time you go up a Level. The same item that gave you +6.34% Spell at Level 16 gives you +5.33% Spell at Level 20.
Dodge is weak unless you are a Shadow Walker with Shadow Stalker 3.
Items with +Haste are weaker than other +enchantments, followed by +Resist.
Except for adding to +Max Health, and Weapon Damage as Level increases, Ancestral items do not get more powerful, but stay the same strength.
Buying advice: spend Gold Shields (GS) and Silver Coins (SC) on weapons (especially Named Weapons) and +Max Health items.

Body Part 2:

Named Weapons- A Sub-case
Overview:
If you have never played Book of Heroes, consider a Named Weapon at 6th Level. If you have played before, consider a Named Weapon at 1st Level. (Even if you've never played before, getting your wife Deathwing right off the bat will make her very happy. This may just be for me, but hey, she's helping me type.)

List of Named Weapons
Deathwing 254- 312 Damage, 1.4 Speed, 120 gold shields
Moonbeam 252- 280 Damage, 1.3 Speed, 120 gold shields
Daedalus' Razor 168- 186 Damage, 1.0 Speed, 80 gold shields
Ripper 67- 74 Damage, 0.2 Speed, 40 gold shields.

Required Level
Normally, if you find a Xth Level item, you must be Xth Level to use it. Until you are Xth Level, you cannot equip it, and the icon will have a little lock in the corner. One exception are Named Weapons which are all Epic 20th Level and have a required Level of 1.

Maximum Damage
If you are considering a Named Weapon, you might as well buy it with gold shields (aka "cash") at 1st Level where monsters have lower hit points. Justicars can destroy many, if not most, 10th Level monsters with one hit of Deathwing. (Typist's note: having Cleave 3 REALLY HELPS) If you wait until 20th Level to buy a Named Weapon, it is not much better than other Epic 20th Level weapons.

Maximum Enjoyment
Since they are expensive, you will probably spend real money to buy a Named Weapon. Since you are spending real money, you should have the Named Weapon for the maximum amount of time. Buying early, but not too early, maximizes your time with a Named Weapon. (Typist's note: I vote for buying it REALLY early.)

Maximum Effect
Unlike 11-20 Ancestral weapons, Named Weapons do the same amount of damage Level from 1 to 20. As a bonus, the lower your Level, the more percentage points you get from the enchantments on a Named Weapon, see Level Change section.

Haste- A Special Case
Overview:
Haste items are a poor value. Classes with Haste Abilities, currently Shadow Walker and War Mage, get even less value for their money.

Haste Items
Haste items give less and less benefit the more items you have and the higher your Level. They are a poor value.
At the same Level, each individual item becomes less effective, the more items you acquire (unlike other enchantments).
---Data: A Level 20 Shadow Walker with Haste 647 points is -7.93% or 1% per 81 points, 1,106 points is -12.84% or 1% per 86 points, 1,895 points is 20.16% or 1% per 94 points.

Haste Level Change
Higher Level characters get less benefit than low Level, see Level Change Section.

Haste Ability Change
As you put more points into Dark Lunge, the bonus given by 1,895 points of item enchantments goes from -20.16% to -13.44% to- 9.16% to a final -5.6%.
I prefer an offense-based Shadow Walker, making Dark Lunge 3 a bargain at -50% Haste. But you get almost all its benefits from 3 ability points, and almost none from item enchantments.
---Data: A Level 20 Shadow Walker with 1,895 points is 20.16%. Use Dark Lunge 1 (20%) and it changes to -33.44%. Use Dark Lunge 2 (35%) and it changes to -44.16%. Use Dark Lunge 3 (50%) and it changes to -55.6%.

Haste De-buff
Slow and other Haste De-buffs are, like Dark Lunge, hugely out of proportion to the bonus given by the item enchantments. If you have lots of points in Haste, you will need to use a Cleanse Potion every time you get Slow, or lose all the benefits of the items. This is not true of any other enchantment.

Resist- A Sub Case
Overview:
Resist items are a poor value. (Typist's note: I rather like my amulet of +403 v. everything. But that's just me.)

Progression
Encountered Monsters gain Nature (ex: Bandits), Spirit (ex: Undead), Ice (ex: Undead) and then Fire (ex: Gatekeepers). Finally, at the Nithus Boglands you get attacked by combinations. A group of 3 monsters with Nature (Spider), Spirit (Undead) & Ice (Undead) or Nature (Spider), Spirit (Undead) & Fire (Gatekeeper). (Typist's note: I really hated Gate Keepers until I got mauled by a Savage Polar Bear. Burning loses you health points, mauling loses you LOTS of health points.)

Choosing
Except for the Frozen vale, it is difficult to predict which Resist item is a good choice. (Hint: Resist Ice Damage helps in things called "Frozen _______".) Even if you have 40 Level twenty items, four full sets of ten Resist items, with Nature, Spirit, Ice and Fire, you would have to keep changing the items before going into different areas to complete quests. None of which would help you in the Nithus Boglands.

Defense vs. Resist
Resist items only work against one kind of attack. Defense works against five, since it also works to reduce melee damage such as a Slam. While not as good as +Max Health, Defense is a better "defensive" enchantment than any of the four Resist enchantments.

Dodge- A Sub Case
Overview:
Shadow Walkers with Shadow Stalker 3 can strengthen Dodge items, but they are still less desirable.

Shadow Stalker 3
Shadow Stalker 3 adds +50% to Dodge making Dodge 15.18% into 65.18%. The earliest you can get Shadow Stalker 3 is Level 9. Even if the game allows you to get 100% Dodge, it only effects melee attacks. By that time, all monsters have special attacks that Dodge does not effect. In addition, Shadow Stalker 3 is a Buff that can be removed by Snow Sentinels and other high Level monsters. While not ask good as +Max Health, Defense is a better "defensive" enchantment since it works against all damage. If the monster De-Buffs your Defense, like Sunder Armor, you can use a zero second/zero timer Cleanse Potion as often as needed. Even though I prefer an offense-based Shadow Walker, Shadow Stalker 3 is a valid choice. However, you can get most of its benefits from 3 ability points without using item enchantments.

Non-Shadow Walkers
While a high Dodge and Shadow Stalker 3 can be helpful, Justicars and War Mages do not get this advantage. Instead Justicars get Stonewall, which effects Defense *and* Block (awesome with a Heavy Shield), while War Mages get Arcane Barrier, which affects Defense, and the less-desirable Resist (see Resist- A Sub Case).

Phoenix Armor- A Sub Case
Overview:
If your Justicar uses a shield with your Phoenix Armor Bundle, you should get Stonewall 3. (Typist's note: if your Justicar has a REALLY COOL two-handed Named Axe, you won't have to worry about "no shield" for about 15 levels.)

Stonewall 3
A Level 17 Justicar, without a shield gets Defense 39.07% with 0% Block. With a Heavy Shield and Stonewall 3, they would get over 78% Defense with a 30% Block. It would give you a 1 in 3 chance of blocking an attack, and only taking 22% damage, almost 1/5th, of any non-blocked damage.

MY PERSONAL OPINIONS
Aka "general venting" or "what do I have to show for all this time". (Typist's note: I still want armored Bunny Slippers.)

Armor Points
Armor counts as Defense, which I find confusing. Especially since +Max Health, Defense, Dodge, Resist Nature, Resist Spirit, Resist Ice and Resist Fire are all "defensive" enchantments. To avoid confusion, I write +10 Armor in my notes instead of +10 Defense. I also write Armor 20% instead of Defense 20%.

Defense and Haste Ability
A game designer considering Defense Percentage and Haste Percentage might want to think twice, and let the computer handle the heavy lifting, and simplify the abilities. For example, instead of Haste Percentage, use multipliers. If an attack does 10 Damage Per Second, you can double it to 20 Damage Per Second by cutting the time to attack in half, or doubling the damage. Doing +30% damage is easier to understand then -23% Haste. This also works with potions, instead of halving the time to take a potion, you get the same result by doubling the potions effect. Instead of Defense/ Resist Percentage, use thresholds. 10 Fire Defense subtracts 10 points from a fire attack. Opponents need to do at least 11 points to do any damage. A 15 point fire attack would do 5 damage. Armor 20 would subtract 20 points from any damage.

In real life there is no "100% Water Proof" (my father-in-law had a fun time proving this in his younger days) but there are increasing Level of Water Resistant, 1 meter, 10 meter, 100 meter, 1000 meter, etc.

You could also use ratios: Each ability would have a "Speed" and "Current Speed. Smite might have a Speed 2 seconds, Current Speed 1.75 seconds. The character would have a Speed Character:Monster rating. 1.3:1 means the player gets 1.3 seconds of actions per 1 second of monster actions. A 1:2 means the player gets 1 second of action per 2 seconds of monster actions. General Armor Attack:Health 1.3:1 means 1.3 points of damage reduce your Health 1 point. Fire Armor Attack:Health 2.25:1 means 2.25 fire damage reduces your Health by 1 point.

Last edited by BjofCJ&Bj; 03-16-2012 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: Title Change
Old 01-25-2012, 07:47 PM

Default War Mage Abilities (BoH version 1.1)

Thank you Redpill, for posting your template for your fire-based War Mage.

I have a Level 20 Shadow Walker ($10 IAP) and my wife (who is helping me type, and will be chiming in based on past experience) has a Level 20 Justicar ($60 IAP), so I have been trying to build a free ($0 IAP) War Mage and failing. So far I have discovered the following:

Ice Storm: Weak. Unlike Seismic Slash (Justicar), it does not Stun. Unlike Frozen Shard 3, it does not Slow 50%.

Combustion: Weak. Unlike Flaming Pyre, it does not affect all monsters. Unlike Caltrop (Shadow Walker), it does not damage every monster every
1 second. Many fights are over before 4 seconds are up. Casting a second Combustion on the same monster before the first Combustion has detonated doesn't get you two detonations; it just erases the first Combustion *and* resets the timer. In fact, if you keep casting Combustion, you can keep it from detonating FOREVER. (Typist's note: Wait… combat can actually last more than six seconds? Really? (Please note the typist is a Level 20 Justicar with all-Epic gear and minimal patience.) (Typist's note: I am TOO patient.) (No, really, she's not.)

Ice Grasp 3 (Stun 5 second)/ Combustion 3 (fuse 4 seconds) does not work with group or individual monsters. With group monsters you cannot
cast Flaming Pyre 3, because that would break the stun. With individuals, there is no “wait 1 second”, you *must* attack, breaking the stun.

Fire Fracture: Weak. Only lasts 3 seconds, making it hard to time with Combustion at 4 seconds. Useful after Flaming Pyre 3 has set all
monsters on fire.

Ice Fracture: Weak. Ice spells do little damage, (Typist's note: Oh, SURE they don't. That's why I have to take a giant healing potion halfway through the danged dragon every. single. time!) instead stun and slow. Unlike Fire Fracture, no Damage Over Time (DOT) like Flaming Pyre 3.
If you have to get one, get Fire Fracture.

MY PERSONAL OPINION:
It would be really cool if:

Ice Storm 3 had a 80% chance of Stun for 3 seconds and 80% chance of Slow 50% for 4 seconds. Some monster would even be stunned for 3
seconds and Slow 50% for 4 seconds. Very useful if you want to leave Monster A stunned, and break the stun on Monster B with a 1.5 second
attack but leave it with Slow 50% for the 2.5 seconds remaining.

Combustion did zero damage, then exploded the first time any of the monsters *attacked you*. (Typist's note: okay, that WOULD be cool. I *might* even give up one of my wound attacks for that. Not that I can use spells. But it would be cool.)

You could wait 1 second and heal 1% of your Health. Then you could be healing while you waited for the Combustion 3 to go off or your Ice Grasp 3 to expire.

Last edited by BjofCJ&Bj; 03-16-2012 at 12:16 PM.. Reason: Title Change