Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 01-27-2012, 09:07 AM

Definitely looks like a nice runner. Any chance there's iCloud support to sync unlocked stuff? That's one of the things I like about Sea Stars, even if that game is a huge IAP sink.

Last edited by Thrak; 01-27-2012 at 10:54 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 01-27-2012, 09:19 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Send a message via AIM to russiaone

I love it.

However, if suggestions are being accepted, I wouldn't mind a kinda glow-in-the-dark stage or something to do with the sun.

Also, what about unlockable mouth noises? Whistling, different variety car sounds? What would be extraordinary is the ability for users to create their own sounds for the game. I'd pay a dollar for that feature, alone.

Further, though I really have no issue with what I bought, the music is nice, though grating. Any chance for another track or two?

Last edited by russiaone; 01-27-2012 at 09:29 AM..
Old 01-27-2012, 09:39 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

Well, judging by my and the other posters impressions, the game is a no brainer if you are a fan of endless runners or like quality iOS-centric gaming.

So quick impression/description:

The game uses a control method similar to the likes of jetpack joyride and Whale Trail, but offers it in a better feeling and more accurate for.

The gameplay is the wonderful endless runner stuff we're used to, but so much more! In the game there are little ink blots called boost buddies that make you bigger and bigger. Once you collect enough, you can got into invincible mode which lasts a few seconds and makes you go super fast (similar to other runners). The thing is that the layout of the game will sort of give you routes meaning that you can go for the coins or you can go for invincibility--it's up to you. It will also set up routes to tempt you. You can choose the easy way and get a bit further or you can get the massive collection of coins.

To add to gameplay, the blot gets bigger and bigger when you try to enter invincible mode. So, you are forced to put your evading skills even more to the test.

Another fun part are the colored ink streaks that you can run into. Each does something different such as slow you down or act as a magnet for coins. Another cool thing is that a brush will appear and actually draw them on as you're playing. It's nice touches like these that make a great game IMO.

The best part is the level design! No two levels are ever the same because the game is randomly generated. In some games random levels suck, but they work in this game because the level/distance progression is probably the smoothest you'll find in a game.

Also, the background is of handrawn sketches which are wonderful to look at. i've died a few times because I was looking at them. These are also randomly generated which is awesome, and there are a ton of them.. Even though the drawings are randomly generated they also seem to mesh well.

Another good part about the design is the little things. Like how the Blot bites its lip when you press the screen or how it's in trail changes with your direction.

Also there are a good amount of costumes/customization and power ups. They also don't require the typical ridiculous grinding that other games have, especially if you get a good run!

Anyways, that was a little description of the game. There's already enough posts of me saying how much I love it.

Oh yeah, nothing slows this game down. I get push notifications and no slow downs, and when GC pops up it doesn't slow down either. Speaking of GC, it doesn't take a life time to sync like on most other games. Also, I haven't seen one graphical mess up and there hasn't been any crashing. Also, the game is ridiculously smooth and the transitions from invincible mode back to regular mode has been done very nicely.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:00 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Great art style. Looks very neat. Good job!
Old 01-27-2012, 10:43 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Send a message via AIM to russiaone

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyJmaster. View Post
Well, judging by my and the other posters impressions, the game is a no brainer if you are a fan of endless runners or like quality iOS-centric gaming.

So quick impression/description:

The game uses a control method similar to the likes of jetpack joyride and Whale Trail, but offers it in a better feeling and more accurate for.

The gameplay is the wonderful endless runner stuff we're used to, but so much more! In the game there are little ink blots called boost buddies that make you bigger and bigger. Once you collect enough, you can got into invincible mode which lasts a few seconds and makes you go super fast (similar to other runners). The thing is that the layout of the game will sort of give you routes meaning that you can go for the coins or you can go for invincibility--it's up to you. It will also set up routes to tempt you. You can choose the easy way and get a bit further or you can get the massive collection of coins.

To add to gameplay, the blot gets bigger and bigger when you try to enter invincible mode. So, you are forced to put your evading skills even more to the test.

Another fun part are the colored ink streaks that you can run into. Each does something different such as slow you down or act as a magnet for coins. Another cool thing is that a brush will appear and actually draw them on as you're playing. It's nice touches like these that make a great game IMO.

The best part is the level design! No two levels are ever the same because the game is randomly generated. In some games random levels suck, but they work in this game because the level/distance progression is probably the smoothest you'll find in a game.

Also, the background is of handrawn sketches which are wonderful to look at. i've died a few times because I was looking at them. These are also randomly generated which is awesome, and there are a ton of them.. Even though the drawings are randomly generated they also seem to mesh well.

Another good part about the design is the little things. Like how the Blot bites its lip when you press the screen or how it's in trail changes with your direction.

Also there are a good amount of costumes/customization and power ups. They also don't require the typical ridiculous grinding that other games have, especially if you get a good run!

Anyways, that was a little description of the game. There's already enough posts of me saying how much I love it.

Oh yeah, nothing slows this game down. I get push notifications and no slow downs, and when GC pops up it doesn't slow down either. Speaking of GC, it doesn't take a life time to sync like on most other games. Also, I haven't seen one graphical mess up and there hasn't been any crashing. Also, the game is ridiculously smooth and the transitions from invincible mode back to regular mode has been done very nicely.
This part is magnificent. It grinds my gears when I'm in a game and suddenly receive some notification or other and the game grinds to a halt. I know my device is antiquated, but c'mon, devs. One of the biggest culprits is •••Spoiler:  Tiny Tower, but whatever.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:17 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 8.x

Thanks for the detailed review, GoofyJmaster!
Old 01-27-2012, 11:33 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Nice review GoofyJmaster. I really like the artstyle of this game but runners are a no no for me.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:25 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaone View Post
This part is magnificent. It grinds my gears when I'm in a game and suddenly receive some notification or other and the game grinds to a halt. I know my device is antiquated, but c'mon, devs. One of the biggest culprits is •••Spoiler:  Tiny Tower, but whatever.
Yeah, I've had a few games actually go crazy during notifications, so this is definitely a plus for me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis7 View Post
Thanks for the detailed review, GoofyJmaster!
No problem! Hope you're enjoying it if you got it. I saw you ask for an impression earlier so hopefully this made your decision a bit easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justln View Post
Nice review GoofyJmaster. I really like the artstyle of this game but runners are a no no for me.
Haha...yeah, runners aren't everyone's cup of tea. I guess if you were to blow your money on one, this would be my suggestion.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:27 PM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyJmaster. View Post
Geezus, how many sketch drawings are in the game? I sewar I see something new each time, which is awesome. I also really like that they are randomized, but they always seem to interact perfectly with each other.
Will have to get back to you on just how many sketches and themes there actually are in the game (we started losing count). Jeremy was very busy for a few months
Old 01-27-2012, 05:48 PM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrak View Post
Definitely looks like a nice runner. Any chance there's iCloud support to sync unlocked stuff? That's one of the things I like about Sea Stars, even if that game is a huge IAP sync.
Sadly Blot does not have iCloud support for syncing unlocked items. Syncing is on our list of potential future updates though.