Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > Upcoming iPhone and iPad Games

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 01-31-2012, 12:11 PM
jared9876 jared9876 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 507
Default

NOOO!! It won't work on 2nd gens!!!!! FM you let me down!
  #12  
Old 01-31-2012, 12:58 PM
Foursaken_Media's Avatar
Foursaken_Media Foursaken_Media is offline
Developer
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,770
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livven View Post
Will you be doing a beta test again? Can't wait to play (and buy) this one.
Not sure yet... we'll keep you updated in this thread if we do though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared9876 View Post
NOOO!! It won't work on 2nd gens!!!!! FM you let me down!
I know, I know Trust me, we hate having to do it, but the particle system in Sky Gnomes is just too much for low gens to handle... we are really shooting for something graphically great (of course in addition to hopefully being one of the most unique, fun racers on iOS).
  #13  
Old 02-02-2012, 09:52 AM
Foursaken_Media's Avatar
Foursaken_Media Foursaken_Media is offline
Developer
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,770
Default

Sky Gnomes "Asynchronous Multiplayer" and Weekly Tournaments


Hey guys, I wanted to start talking about some of the really unique features that will make Sky Gnomes awesome -- more then your average racer. The first, most important aspect of the game is the non real-time "multiplayer" aspect, which we've really expanded on since talking to people at Macworld.

Something we have yet to see (at least from what I've seen), is an iOS action game that really fosters competition. Sure, everything has leaderboards, but we want you to WANT to compete, beyond being satisfied with a #1,204,494 ranking.

So in Sky Gnomes, the leaderboards will be set up as weekly tournaments -- you'll win a persistent, permanent medal each week that goes to your trophy case, so you could be a 50 times gold champion for ex, or a 5 time grand master if you're the cream of the crop. On the leaderboards, people will see your trophies and rank for extra bragging rights!

So, how it works is that every week you'll be put in a Division of 100 people, based on your overall skill level -- you'll stick with those 100 people for the entire week. As you play the game, you'll be matched up with the best times (only for that week) of random other people from your division that are near your current best time... you'll actually be racing their recorded ghosts -- so in a way its like a weekly asynchronous multiplayer! We'll have a lot of other neat things like picking a weekly "nemesis" for you to race and measure your success against, and occasional challengers from better Divisions (beat them for bonus coins). At the end of each week, you'll be awarded a medal based on your standing in your Division, and a medal based on your overall time (better time brackets of course get you better medals, which in tun get you into harder Divisions). Again, these are persistent, and available for everyone to see.

The best part about this system is that its all seamless to the player! Just hit play, and the game automatically finds competitive other players, loading them into the other gnomes you're racing against, etc.

And of course if you don't care about competition and that sort of thing, then it won't affect the game for you at all! You can completely ignore it and play the awesome regular game (which will randomly generate the gnomes skill based on your own runs if you're offline), completing missions, upgrading trinkets, and getting top times for your own personal satisfaction.

Last edited by Foursaken_Media; 02-02-2012 at 09:55 AM..
  #14  
Old 02-02-2012, 11:48 AM
ninjackid ninjackid is offline
Senior Member
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 9,524
Default

Forsaken Media is one of my favorite devs! Count me interested?
  #15  
Old 02-02-2012, 12:52 PM
Jdragoon19 Jdragoon19 is offline
Senior Member
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Area 51
Posts: 2,858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared9876 View Post
NOOO!! It won't work on 2nd gens!!!!! FM you let me down!
Did you actually expect that Sky Gnomes would be able to run on a 2G device? It's like saying that you expect to run Battlefield 3 on a 10 year old computer. I suggest you upgrade dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foursaken_Media View Post
Sky Gnomes "Asynchronous Multiplayer" and Weekly Tournaments


Hey guys, I wanted to start talking about some of the really unique features that will make Sky Gnomes awesome -- more then your average racer. The first, most important aspect of the game is the non real-time "multiplayer" aspect, which we've really expanded on since talking to people at Macworld.

Something we have yet to see (at least from what I've seen), is an iOS action game that really fosters competition. Sure, everything has leaderboards, but we want you to WANT to compete, beyond being satisfied with a #1,204,494 ranking.

So in Sky Gnomes, the leaderboards will be set up as weekly tournaments -- you'll win a persistent, permanent medal each week that goes to your trophy case, so you could be a 50 times gold champion for ex, or a 5 time grand master if you're the cream of the crop. On the leaderboards, people will see your trophies and rank for extra bragging rights!

So, how it works is that every week you'll be put in a Division of 100 people, based on your overall skill level -- you'll stick with those 100 people for the entire week. As you play the game, you'll be matched up with the best times (only for that week) of random other people from your division that are near your current best time... you'll actually be racing their recorded ghosts -- so in a way its like a weekly asynchronous multiplayer! We'll have a lot of other neat things like picking a weekly "nemesis" for you to race and measure your success against, and occasional challengers from better Divisions (beat them for bonus coins). At the end of each week, you'll be awarded a medal based on your standing in your Division, and a medal based on your overall time (better time brackets of course get you better medals, which in tun get you into harder Divisions). Again, these are persistent, and available for everyone to see.

The best part about this system is that its all seamless to the player! Just hit play, and the game automatically finds competitive other players, loading them into the other gnomes you're racing against, etc.

And of course if you don't care about competition and that sort of thing, then it won't affect the game for you at all! You can completely ignore it and play the awesome regular game (which will randomly generate the gnomes skill based on your own runs if you're offline), completing missions, upgrading trinkets, and getting top times for your own personal satisfaction.
Wow, sounds awesome!
  #16  
Old 02-04-2012, 08:36 PM
iJay iJay is offline
Senior Member
iPod Touch (1st Gen), OS 3.x
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foursaken_Media View Post
Sky Gnomes "Asynchronous Multiplayer" and Weekly Tournaments
...
Sound cool.

But whatever the systems is, Oxynidus is still going to own it.
  #17  
Old 02-05-2012, 11:49 AM
Foursaken_Media's Avatar
Foursaken_Media Foursaken_Media is offline
Developer
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,770
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iJay View Post
Sound cool.

But whatever the systems is, Oxynidus is still going to own it.
Haha, that's probably true... his specialty seems to be owning all of our games But its exactly those type of competitive players that I think will REALLY enjoy Sky Gnomes... and I'm not sure he'll be able to take the Foursaken Team in this game like he did in BH and Mad Chef

Anyway, we're REALLY excited about the competitive element of this game... and we should still be on track for a Feb release. Soon I'll talk more about the upgrade and Trinket system.
  #18  
Old 02-05-2012, 12:12 PM
Exact-Psience Exact-Psience is offline
Senior Member
iPad Air, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Philippines
Posts: 15,962
Default

Game looks very promising.

I hope it has been tested on iPod Touch 4g... Most new games that are resource hungry creates all sorts of problems on the touch4G's lower RAM.

Thanks! Looking forward to playing this game!
  #19  
Old 02-05-2012, 01:22 PM
VaroFN VaroFN is online now
Senior Member
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,903
Default

Yeah, the game looks really great, but I have one question for FM: I played Bug Heroes, Bug Heroes Quest and New York Zombies. All these games are awesome, but the game I liked the most was New York Zombies. It had a beautifull story. Will you make a new game like NYZ? Or a continuation.
  #20  
Old 02-05-2012, 01:50 PM
Foursaken_Media's Avatar
Foursaken_Media Foursaken_Media is offline
Developer
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,770
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
Game looks very promising.

I hope it has been tested on iPod Touch 4g... Most new games that are resource hungry creates all sorts of problems on the touch4G's lower RAM.

Thanks! Looking forward to playing this game!
Don't worry, we have one of every device in house from the iPad 1 to the iPhone 4S, so we will make sure Sky Gnomes plays well on all compatible devices. In fact, Sky Gnomes really isn't all that RAM intensive anyway, as most of the graphical overhead is actually the dynamic particle systems (which deals with fill-rate).

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaroFN View Post
Yeah, the game looks really great, but I have one question for FM: I played Bug Heroes, Bug Heroes Quest and New York Zombies. All these games are awesome, but the game I liked the most was New York Zombies. It had a beautifull story. Will you make a new game like NYZ? Or a continuation.
Did you read the ENTIRE TA article on Sky Gnomes? We're not ready to comment on anything specific yet (other than that yes, NYZ2 will be our next title after Sky Gnomes), but stay tuned for an official announcement in the future.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent