Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Other > Site Feedback and News

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-06-2012, 12:23 PM

Default TA star ratings sytem broken - scores all too high

This is constructive criticism, I'm not simply nagging.

But anyone else find that Touch Arcade's scoring system for game reviews is uninformative and of little meaning/value/distinction because of the base fact that TA ALWAYS gives ratings that are very high.

Almost everything is either 3.5, 4, or 4.5 stars. When you rate 90% of games in this small and high range, there is no distinction between games, and thus the ratings have no meaning/substance.

I mean, I don't think anything lower than 2 stars even exists in TA's rating system. And TA consistently rates games that aren't very good and that they criticize a fair amount in the text of a review as 3.5 or occasionally 3. These are games that deserve 1-2.5 stars.

Saying 'everything's at least pretty good' as the ratings indicate does nothing for a consumer looking to single out a particularly good games. TA seems to always give benefit of the doubt to games and in general seems scared to rate games lower than 3.5.

THE CURVE IS TOO HIGH.

Again, when you rate almost all games as 3.5-4.5, it takes meaning away from the ratings, and highly indicates that TA wants to give as many games as possible inflated ratings (why this reason is, I'm not sure, it could well be not wanting to upset developers or sponsors, being scared to be too critical, generally wanting to support the platform so giving most everything overly complementary ratings, etc.).