Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Old 02-21-2012, 07:33 PM
iPhone 3GS

Raising the developer charge to 1K would be terrible. There are lots of genuine quality developers who don't turn over that much in a year...even with >1 releases behind them. Who's to say it takes less than a few attempts to make top quality, and those who do should be suddenly demoted from selling unless they happen to be on the right side of a wider line. The system is fair at $99/yr, for that we also get a better service than say a competitor who charges 'a quid'.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:34 AM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

I agree, Apple seem to insist on things that keep their brand looking good with what seems to be "picky" runs for apps. But the most important thing, the app quality, seems to be ignored. The whole app rating/ranking system seems to be able to be manipulated from what ive read/seen.

Obviously there are going to be rip off of other apps. Some will be improvements. But some are terrible rip offs, money making scams that just make the AppStore look bad
Old 02-23-2012, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitter View Post
Raising the developer charge to 1K would be terrible. There are lots of genuine quality developers who don't turn over that much in a year...even with >1 releases behind them. Who's to say it takes less than a few attempts to make top quality, and those who do should be suddenly demoted from selling unless they happen to be on the right side of a wider line. The system is fair at $99/yr, for that we also get a better service than say a competitor who charges 'a quid'.

of course 1k is figure of speech.. its about to raise the price to still attract indie devs but to keep the shovelware.. lets just put something on the store guys out..
may it be 200 500 or whatever.. of course it needs to be reasonable..

the general problem is that apple needs both.. quality and numbers.. and they have both.. there are tons of amazing quality games out there.. more than one can play in a lifetime.. problem again is to find all the gems who are not in the top lists.. especially in a big huge sea of app poo..
Old 02-23-2012, 04:48 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Default App Approval - needs refocussing

I completely agree, I think at the moment the guys approving at apple are too focused on the technical side of the app without paying too much attention to the content.

I think blocking apps due to copyright concerns of other developers wouldn't be something they would want to get involved with, deciding who copied who, who owns the IP, what percentage of a breach of copyright is each offense, etc., is ultimately up to the parties involved to protect their own IP.

That said I agree that the store has some shocking cases of fraud and a high percentage of clones making some serious cash and demishing the apple brand as a result. It isn't something you see on other games platforms because the developers have to go through a long and rigorous developer approval process, they way nintendo protect it's brand is a good example of this. Some of our apps have been targeted and copied, and it is very difficult to do too much about it, given the location of some of these dodgey businesses.

I think apple should tighten their approvals based on copyright, some cases are in grey areas, but for the obvious ones like 'Cut The Rope Classic' a clear rip off and fraud, apple should raise a concern and alert the original developer prior to posting the app. I think for repeat offenders developer accounts should be suspended, and funds held back.

As an honest and dedicated developer of quality apps I would welcome any moves to bring the app store more in line with the level of quality apple is know for in all their other areas of business.

Also if it keeps getting worse and worse more and more serious development companies like ours will move to other platforms where the quality titles they produce won't be buried in a see of fraudulent content.

Last edited by TheGreatWhiteApe; 02-23-2012 at 04:51 AM..