Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 02-23-2012, 11:47 AM
im in ur base killin ur d00dz
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Pretty clever puzzle platformer. Just finished level 15 of the total 42. It really does feel like I'm playing Cut the Rope in platformer form, not that it's a bad thing. The gameplay elements are pretty interesting so far. Can't really say the game is too special, but it's a decent buy for a dollar. It should sell well to the masses in any case.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:11 PM
Banned
iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticvoid View Post
Might have to wait a week or so, and see what games out of this weeks releases get the inevitable price drops...
Maybe you dont know this, but is only 1$
Old 02-23-2012, 01:14 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFrost View Post
Maybe you dont know this, but is only 1$
yeah, well I can wait a week... and to get it on my iPod and iPad, it's $2... =oP
Old 02-23-2012, 03:38 PM
im in ur base killin ur d00dz
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Congrats on the GOTW. Definitely the release that would appeal to the masses like I said.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:49 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtothis View Post
Congrats on the GOTW. Definitely the release that would appeal to the masses like I said.
Thanks so much! We're really excited about this, and are going to work extra hard on the update
Old 02-23-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Ronfar View Post
I have to disagree I feel the second world added alot more. Actually i was pretty sure I wasn't gonna like it till I got to the second world and they started adding in the cannon, glide pollen thing etc.. That Atlest tells me in the future it will be more than just moving from one rolling (thing) to the next.
I liked the elements added in the second world, what I didn't like was how the levels felt like you could skip many of the flowers (didn't even need to use all the colours either). The levels felt sloppy and too similar. In Cut the Rope there was pretty much always just one way to complete the level, Munch Time has multiple ways. I didn't feel challenged at all trying to work out the proper way to complete the level and just went for the easiest way.

This is only a complaint about the second world. The first world never felt like that, which is why it was such a surprise. By adding the cannon they may have created too many alternative solutions.

Last edited by Dense; 02-23-2012 at 08:15 PM..
Old 02-23-2012, 07:30 PM
Banned
iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticvoid View Post
yeah, well I can wait a week... and to get it on my iPod and iPad, it's $2... =oP
Didnt know you got an iPad 2, you lucky man
Old 02-23-2012, 07:55 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Default Munch Time Serves Cute Platform Puzzler That Leaves You Craving for More

The iTunes ecosphere is still very much a mobile device at heart with an environment designed with the casual gamer in mind. That’s one reason why most of the successful games for the iPhone, iPod Touch and the iPad have been the cute pick-up-and-play variety (e.g. Angry Birds, Cut the Rope). Munch Time by Gamistry is a hybrid platform puzzler that seemingly fits in that mold decked out with an adorable character, easy-to-use controls, and inviting environments. About the only thing holding it back currently is the short content, but what is there should have the masses hungry for more.

Designed to appeal to the lizard lovers in all of us, the main character is Munch, a color-changing chameleon on the hunt for his lunch which by the way is a tasty slug. The hunt through the 42 levels has Munch swinging through gardens full of obstacles. Using tongue may sound objectionable, but using simple touch controls, gamers will navigate Munch using his tongue to reach the most obscure places. Visually, Munch Time is vibrantly colored with a lighthearted art style nicely complemented by a lively audio track.

Munch is an acrobat which requires strong, yet intuitive controls. The control mechanic is simple: tap wherever you want Munch to go. Of course, this can involve maneuvering small areas next to bottomless or thorn-filled pits and there are certain things to keep in mind. Munch’s movements are more or less limited to swinging using his tongue and scampering along the ground so planning ahead is a key to success. In general, the touch controls are responsive and accurately register touches which can’t be taken for granted with these types of games.

Flowers are the main sticking point, if you will, for Munch. Tapping on a flower will latch him to it, and tapping on others allows Munch to move from place to place. The hitch is that different flowers have different effects on little Munch. Other flowers periodically bloom and close and others turn in to cannons that can shoot him a great distance. The other thing to keep in mind is that once Munch has latched onto a flower and then unlatches, that flower is no longer useable.

While Munch is a chameleon when it comes to using his tongue, he’s really kind of a second rate one in the color change department. Because flowers come in a variety of colors, Munch must change color according to the flower before he can latch onto it. To help with that, he relies on eating different color flies which presto-chango transforms him into another brightly colored lizard.

Along the way to reaching his food, Munch likes to collect stars for that narcissist personality of his. Players have to opportunity to earn a maximum of 3 stars in each level which means clearing the screen of all stars. While the game doesn’t have a timer, points are always awarded for how quickly a level is completed.

Munch Time does have a sticky quality to it which can be attributed to the cuteness factor that comes through in the gameplay. Munch is really one acrobatic lizard so swinging from flower to another requires a bit of hand-eye coordination and well-timed release points. In most cases, Munch will swing from flower to flower which by itself requires some coordination. Other flowers will have Munch doing loops until another flower is tapped to release him. Where the devs do a nice job is in the controls. The levels themselves are not overly difficult, and could even be easy for some. There is a certain difficulty that comes from coordinating movements, producing the right amount of momentum and releasing at the right moment. A star is often just out of reach because Munch doesn’t have enough energy behind him even if all the moves are well thought out.

Other times, tapping at the wrong time can mean the difference between reaching a platform and having Munch as a shish-kabob. As you progress through the levels, more and more flowers will bloom and close which adds a level of difficulty since only open flowers are latchable. The game does allow players to be creative in how they approach puzzles so that more than one solution is possible and doesn’t require using every flower to complete a level. Also, while Munch is athletic, you find out pretty quickly that he has no glide to his game whatsoever. Unlatch him too soon, and he falls like a stone.

Aside from the degree of difficulty, another minor issue is the lack of screen resizing or dragging which becomes more apparent in the later levels. Typically, the early levels are small and entirely viewable so planning moves is relatively easy. As the playing fields expand in later levels, the view is limited with players unable to scroll or drag the screen to view those areas.

Where Munch struggles is in the content which currently is rather short. As mentioned, the levels aren’t overly difficult so most players should be able to complete the 42 levels that are there in less than 2 hours. Depending on skill level, there is a degree of replay value in a trying to attain the 3-star rating for each level. The game also has GameCenter achievements which is a plus.

Munch Time is a fun platform puzzler with a cute charm to it. Intuitive controls and not overly difficult gameplay should draw wide appeal with casual gamers. Well-timed moves and coordination add a certain degree of challenging play that most will enjoy. While the current content is a bit short (more is on the way), what is there right now provides a strong foundation for those looking to add new to their iTunes game library. At the least, Munch Time will whet your appetite for more.

Albie Meter: 4 Stars (cute and engaging gameplay with intuitive touch controls; level designs and vibrant colors should appeal to the casual gamer; content is on the short side with more levels and worlds on the way; degree of difficulty with the current levels may be easy for some with a certain degree of replayability; lite version is available)

Last edited by Big Albie; 02-23-2012 at 08:03 PM..
Old 02-24-2012, 08:27 AM
Banned
iPhone 5

Does anyone else have this bug where you loose your progress each time you restart the app? icloud is disabled completely by the way
Old 02-24-2012, 09:28 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFrost View Post
Does anyone else have this bug where you loose your progress each time you restart the app? icloud is disabled completely by the way
We have heard of a few instances of this problem, and we're working on a way to fix this.