Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Other > Lounge

Old 02-27-2012, 12:09 AM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), OS 4.x

Just got Tekken 3D. Pretty excited. Graphics and gameplay are excellent and probably the best out of all three (SF4, DoAD). The movie included is not in real 3D :/ Overall I pretty much agree with IGN review except for the score which I think should be a bit higher.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:21 PM
im in ur base killin ur d00dz
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

So, I finally decided to play through Starfox 64. Didn't play it on the N64, so I was a little shocked when the game ended in a little over an hour. I knew it'd be short, but um..yeah.

I guess it's a game you're supposed to play over and over to get higher scores. Also, I see there are a bunch of planets I didn't go to, so I'm guessing the results of certain levels can determine which planets you actually visit before fighting Andross. Definitely will be replaying it a few times.

Took me six months to finally get spend time with it, lol. It was really fun though. The characters are silly.

Oh, score attack mode is pretty cool. It remembers which planets you've been to. It's interesting multiplayer mode can only be done through download play though..it must just be a very standard deathmatch mode then.

Last edited by backtothis; 03-02-2012 at 10:28 PM..
Old 03-03-2012, 10:06 AM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtothis View Post
Also, I see there are a bunch of planets I didn't go to, so I'm guessing the results of certain levels can determine which planets you actually visit before fighting Andross. Definitely will be replaying it a few times.
Yeah, certain levels have secondary (somewhat hidden) objectives. They're not always particularly elaborate, but meeting or missing these secondary objectives often determines which planet you visit next.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:52 AM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Star Fox 64 3D has like 1 and 1/2 hours of base content, and then it becomes like a leader board-type deal. Improve your times or scores or whatever. I hate crap like that. And the price has never dropped. For something with such limited content to have been on the market for like 6 month and still be selling for $40 (USD) is fairly ridiculous.

Pilot Wings 3D still hasn't dropped in price and it was a launch title. Same deal with Pilot Wings. Very limited base content. It's all about replaying the same stuff for improve scores. Nearly all of the 3DS launch titles are now selling for $19.99. It's been a year after all. Yet, Pilot Wings still selling for 39.99. Laughable, as far as I'm concerned.

However, I am a staunch believer that there's no such thing as replay value in a single-player game. Not if we're talking about starting a game over again after you've beaten it once. I would never do that, ever. But that's a personal preference situation. Replaying a particular stage within the context of a game not yet beaten, i might, if the incentive were enough.

You get more value out of a standard iOS game. I'd get as much gameplay from Reckless Racing 2, which I bought for 0.99c. Content is a huge part of what should distinguish Vita and 3DS games from iOS games. 3DS games should offer considerably more, and Star Fox just doesn't do that.

I'm not the one to ask about the length of games. I sample games. I don't beat them. I put 2 and a half hours into Metal Gear 3D. I could tell it was essentially just the introduction that took that long to complete. The game itself had barely even started. The question is, will I ever play that game again? Answer is, I don't know. I beat the first 2 chapters of Resident Evil Relevations. Will I have play that game again? Maybe. Maybe not.

Last edited by dumaz1000; 03-03-2012 at 10:59 AM..
Old 03-05-2012, 03:10 PM
In Time-Out
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai555 View Post
Just got Tekken 3D. Pretty excited. Graphics and gameplay are excellent and probably the best out of all three (SF4, DoAD). The movie included is not in real 3D :/ Overall I pretty much agree with IGN review except for the score which I think should be a bit higher.
What do you mean the movie is not in real 3D?
Old 03-05-2012, 04:14 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 6, iOS 8.x

Waiting for battleship to come out. First FPS on the 3DS
Old 03-06-2012, 08:38 AM

3DS hits 4.5 million sales in North America alone after just 11 months:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...02&postcount=1

Despite many an analyst calling that dedicated handhelds are over, the 3DS has managed to outperform the original DS when back then the only competition was the PSP. Comparison of first years...

Nintendo DS (12 months in North America)
-Launch date- Nov. 21 2004
-Total HW units sold in first 12 months- 2.3 million
-Total number of SW titles released in first 12 months-58
-Total units of software sold in first 12 months-5 million
-Total $ sales (HW, SW and accessory) in first 12 months-$540 million

Nintendo 3DS (11 months in North America)
-Launch date- March 27, 2011
-Total HW units sold in first 12 months-4.5 million
-Total number of SW titles released in first 12 months- 100+
-Total units of software sold in first 12 months- 9 million+
-Total $ sales (HW, SW and accessory) in first 12 months- $1.2 billion+

Sales for 3DS elsewhere is just as booming, especially in Japan. Worldwide sales for the more expensive 3DS are at 17 million in just 11 months whereas the cheaper original DS managed around 15 million in its first 12 months.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:27 AM
im in ur base killin ur d00dz
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

My brother put Super Mario 3D Land in his pocket, and the pants were washed and put in the dryer. The game still works perfectly o.o.

Kid Icarus comes out in under 2 weeks! I'm actually kind of glad I didn't get RER or MGS yet for the 3DS now. I don't think they're the kind of experiences I'm looking for on the platform. Anyways, Mario Tennis comes out on 05/20. Nothing else too noteworthy in the upcoming months though.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:34 PM
iPhone 3G, OS 3.x

So happy to hear that the 3DS was such a success with sales!

I thought the DS would have outsold the 3DS for sure, but very happy to hear these numbers! Can't wait for Kid Icarus, Luigi's Mansion 2, as well as Paper Mario!
Old 03-12-2012, 05:38 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Between Kid Icarus and Lego Batman DC Comic, there is a 3 month window in which nothing is coming out for the 3DS. There are 5 or 6 significant Vita games slated for a release within this same window. While the hardware sales are good, I would be interested to know how well third-party 3DS games, outside of Resident Evil Revelations, have sold. My guess is, not well. I think the tech is pretty awesome when utilized somewhere near it's full potential, but if you don't like 1st party Nintendo games, the future is a liitle hazy, even with the system sales.

There doesn't appear to be any FPS games in development. There doesn't appear to be any third-person open world games in development. There doesn't appear to be any more games of mature content in development. There doesn't appear to be more than a handful of non-Nintendo AAA franchise titles in development. What little there is seems to fall under the RPG heading. Like JRPG, turn-based stuff. Like Persona.

It's not as rosy as some people want to make it out to be.

There are three companies in particular that I'm looking to for the future. Renegade Kid, who developed the Dementium games and Moon, for the NDS, Nspace, who develops all of the significant action-oriented FPS games for the NDS, including GoldenEye and the Call of Duty ports, and the company that was responsible for Cop:The Recruit, for the NDS, and I believe Driver Renegade, for the 3DS (which stunk).

Last edited by dumaz1000; 03-12-2012 at 05:47 PM..